To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Why would I want to move from desktop to subscription?

tsmanz
tsmanz
Community Member

I am a long time user of local versions.
Why would I want to change my type of use to a subscription?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tsmanz: You'd still be using the 1Password desktop and mobile apps with a 1Password membership. The difference is that the membership subscription includes all of the apps and updates, seamless sync, and automatic offsite backup for your encrypted data. That way there's no separate purchase for different versions, license management, or sync configuration; you simply sign into your account on each device to access your data. That way, when you upgrade your device hardware or OS/browser, or even if all your devices were lost, stolen, or destroyed, you just need to sign into your account to get back up and running. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Louie
    Louie
    Community Member

Let me put it this way, What features do I give up by just upgrading to the standalone license? The information provided on your site for this is woefully limited.

-louie

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Louie!

If you look at the page that brenty linked to in his post above, you will see all the features that come with a Membership. If you decide to use a standalone license instead, you miss out on all those features, and you only get the 1Password for Mac app.

I hope this helps!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@Louie: It's not something most people get really excited about, but just having automatic offsite backup with a 1Password membership for the important data we store encrypted in 1Password means that even if all our devices are lost, stolen, or destroyed, we just need to sign into the account to get your data back. That gives me a lot of peace of mind -- both as a user, and as someone often in the position of helping others try to recover data. Something to consider.

• @MrGigabyte

It looks like JD is assisting you via email. To avoid duplicating efforts, let's continue the conversation there. :+1:

Ben

P.S. Please review the forum terms and conditions, which you agreed to when creating your account here, before posting again. This is a family friendly forum and we do not allow that sort of language here. Forum Rules & Reminders - Read before posting — 1Password Forum

• lwr32
    lwr32
    Community Member

I’ve been using 1P for what seems like forever. Then comes subscription based 1P. Not a fan. I was content to pay whenever there was a significant update. Now I see a five user license, paid in annual payments at something like $2.99 a month. No mention anywhere, that I’ve found, of the full amount of the annual price. $2.99 sounds like a good deal until one is quoted the annual amount.

I prefer the standalone version we have had for many years. Is that still even possible? I have paid for 1P standalone versions for quite sometime and it’s feels like abandonment to make everything a subscription. If I paid for all the subscriptions my apps turned into, I’d be subscription poor.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry for the confusion. We do not have a "five user license" available, but rather a 1Password Families membership includes up to five family members in the base price of about 5$US per month when paying annually (~60$US -- 12x5). An individual membership is about 3$US per month.

Standalone licenses are still available, but not recommended, as they are a separate purchase for each version, require users to manage their own sync configuration and upgrades, and most people don't want to deal with that. All of the apps work together either way, but a membership is the only thing that seamlessly includes everything we make. "Standalone" = "batteries not included / some assembly required". :)

• mcfitzsatx
    mcfitzsatx
    Community Member

To add to this conversation, I'm in the same boat—been using the standalone apps for years, and like the fact that my data is NOT available online. For those of us who don't live in a metro location, getting online is not guaranteed. I'd like to know, please, what the subscription-based membership offers me if I'm not able to get online. Do I still have access to view and edit my entries on my laptop, tablet, and phone? Do those entries sync the first time I'm online afterward? Etc. Thank you!

• @mcfitzsatx

Yes. We realize internet access isn't ubiquitous and have designed 1Password with that in mind. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.