Family upgrade from 1PW6 with shared vaults

stevezoller
stevezoller
Community Member

My wife and I have 1PW 6.8.8. We have individual vaults and a shared vault. We want to upgrade to a Ver7 membership family plan.

1) Where do I start the download -- with a Family Plan or with an individual membership?
2) And then, how do I migrate what is in essence three vaults (two individual and one shared) so that we continue to have individual vaults and shared vaults?
3) We need this answer for both Macs and iPhones.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mohave 10.14.6
Sync Type: Three vaults: 2 with Dropbox and one with iCloud.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@stevezoller: Typically I suggest starting with an individual membership because it's easy to change to a family plan at any time through the website, and that will give you an opportunity to familiarize yourself. But if you're sure that you're going to want to go with 1Password Families to each have your own Private vault and Master Password, that might be the better route for you. :)

As far as migration, it would simplify things if you already have a macOS user account with 1Password setup with just your data, so it's straightforward to import all of that into your own account. And then your wife could do the same with hers.

Let me know what you think.

• stevezoller
    stevezoller
    Community Member

Thanks for the answer but unless I misunderstand your answer, I don’t think you addressed my questions.

__"But if you're sure that you're going to want to go with 1Password Families to each have your own Private vault and Master Password, that might be the better route for you.” __
    As I stated in the original question, we are definitely going with a Family Plan. You say starting with Families “MIGHT” be a better route. You’re the expert, and is my basic question. Which IS the better route?

__"As far as migration, it would simplify things if you already have a macOS user account with 1Password setup with just your data.”_
    As I stated in the question, we do already have a single 6.8.8 and within this we each have our own vaults and a shared vault. So once we have the Families Plan we need to be able to migrate both individual vaults and the shared vault. Although, there are only two logins to 1PW, hers and mine. We can each get to the shared vault from our own logins. I see no directions on the website for how to migrate what is in essence three separate vaults and all three have a unique set of logins within them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

As I stated in the original question, we are definitely going with a Family Plan. You say starting with Families “MIGHT” be a better route. You’re the expert, and is my basic question. Which IS the better route?

@stevezoller: As I mentioned already, if you're sure that you want to each have your own Private vault and Master Password, go with 1Password Families. Some couples prefer to share everything, and they are fine with sharing a single individual 1Password membership though, so it's really up to you. I said "might" because I'm not you. It's a call you and your wife will have to make. :)

As I stated in the question, we do already have a single 6.8.8 and within this we each have our own vaults and a shared vault. So once we have the Families Plan we need to be able to migrate both individual vaults and the shared vault. Although, there are only two logins to 1PW, hers and mine. We can each get to the shared vault from our own logins. I see no directions on the website for how to migrate what is in essence three separate vaults and all three have a unique set of logins within them.

It really isn't clear to me from your description, but it sounds like you're talking about sharing a license. If you are both using 1Password under a separate macOS user account, everything I said applies, and this guide will take you through signing up for an account, migrating your data, and setting up your devices:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/

Your wife would need to do the same with her stuff after setting up her own account under your family membership using your invitation. But again, I can't say definitively because I don't have all of the information about your setup that you do.

• stevezoller
    stevezoller
    Community Member

Thanks. I got it set up. I really do love 1Password. It is the single most important app I have. That’s the good.

Over the years, the issues associated with whether I originally bought via the 1PW website versus the Apple App Store created issues. And now how to switch from a license to an annual membership wasn't clear either. And no phone numbers to call just makes it difficult to deal with account/set-up issues. I wish the account, set-up, and troubleshooting was as top-notch as the actual functioning of the password manager.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words, and the constructive criticism. We'll continue to work to make it even easier...but for you now future upgrades will be dead-simple: Step 1, sign into your account in the app. There is no Step 2. :)

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

Hi Steve,

I pretty much have the exact same situation as you and could use your advice. Like you, I had a bit of a hard time understanding what Mr. Brenty's response was to you. I'm looking to make the switch since the extension in Safari no longer works with 1Password 6. I am the account holder and also have 3 vaults. My wife and I use the original vault that was setup when I signed up 4 years ago. Since then, I've added 2 vaults - 1 for each of my kids. They both have their own password, however I have access to both of them through MY master password. All 3 vaults sync with Dropbox. Having said all that, what is your suggestion? I'm kind of confused on what is the right thing to do. Should I sign-up for "1Password for Families" or do I just switch to 1Password 7 and add on 2 vaults like I did before (if you can even do that...it doesn't sound like you can). We all love 1PW and use it daily on our Mac's, iPhones and iPads. Would you mind giving me any suggestions or opinions?

• Hi @vegabond

1Password Families would be the best path forward for this, and would get you and the rest of your family access to 1Password 7. You can learn about how to upgrade here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

1Password Families is the only supported way of sharing 1Password data with your family. We do not support sharing of data via Dropbox.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• vegabond
    vegabond
    Community Member

Thank you, Ben. The only thing I don't understand is the Dropbox part. When I had help setting up my account 4 years ago, I was told to have everything synced with Dropbox. Should I be doing something different?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

@vegabond

Yes, going forward, sharing via Dropbox is not supported. When you establish a membership syncing will be migrated from Dropbox to 1Password.com, where sharing is supported. Dropbox is no longer needed / used (for 1Password data) when using a 1Password membership. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.