How can I force a 1Password 7 install from the Mac App Store?

Ward
Ward
Community Member

Background: My wife and I were using iPassword 6 purchased from the 1Password Store. A couple of weeks ago, she reported having problems with "the new version of 1Password" on her iMac. I suspect she accepted an offer to auto-update from iPassword 6 to 7.

Several days ago, I signed up for a 1Password Family Subscription. I followed instructions for upgrading my Mac from iPassword 6 to 1Password 7 with a Subscription. That included switching from the 1Password Store to the Mac App Store to install 1Password 7. After that, I migrated the personal data on both of our Macs to the Subscription server.

Earlier today, I noticed a difference between our app Preferences, which turned out to be due to my wife's iMac running iPassword 7 from 1Password Store. I attempted to replace that app by installing iPassword 7 from the Mac App Store. The install seemed to go as expected, except that the app was still reporting it came from 1Password Store. So I manually trashed that app and emptied the trash. A second install from the Mac App Store failed to change the identity/source of the 1Password app (as shown in About 1Password).

I suspect it's a old 1Password configuration file that's causing the problem. I considered using AppDelete to get rid of all traces of 1Password, but that seemed risky, especially because I don't want to lose the configuration effort I put into my wife's new Family Subscription account.

How can I force a 1Password 7 install from the Mac App Store, while leaving my wife's Subscription account intact?

-- Ward

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:force install from mac app store

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ward: Can you elaborate on why you think that you're unable to install 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store? I haven't seen or heard of anything like that before, and I wonder if it's just a matter of confusion. I don't recommend using "app delete" at this time, though that would have no effect on the 1Password account, as that's on the server. I'd suggest simply dragging any copies of the 1Password app to the Trash, rebooting, and then going to the Mac App Store to install a fresh copy from there. macOS may just be caching something.

• Ward
    Ward
    Community Member

Thanks, @brenty, for your speedy, middle-of-the-night response.

Your recommendation to "[drag] any copies of the 1Password app to the Trash" prompted me to have HoudahSpot locate all "1Password" applications:

• 1Password (from the 1Password Store) in the /Applications folder
    • 1PasswordAgent 3.8.22 in the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent folder

I deleted both, emptied the Trash, skipped Restarting, and installed 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store. This time it worked!

I'm puzzled because the only difference from my earlier attempts was deleting the very old 1PasswordAgent "application."

All is well with the Clark Family Subscription. The next step is to add our daughters to our 1Password family.

-- Ward

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Ward: I'm puzzled too. :lol: Rebooting shouldn't be necessary, but I always include that step because it ensures that macOS does't still have 1Password running or cached at all. So it sounds like maybe if you just wait long enough it will sort itself out. I just don't expect people to be that patient, given that I would not be myself. All's well that ends well though! Glad you and your loved ones are enjoying 1Password Families! We're here if you need us. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.