Poll: What's the reason to push you start using password manager app?

shanellehaley
shanellehaley
Community Member

Two reasons for me:
1> Forgot my PC login password several times and ends up reinstalling
2> Two many logins for different websites.

What's yours?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

One reason for me: Security.

These days our life is as digital as it is physical. And with 100's of websites the average person uses and the constant data leaks we see in the news almost daily it was a no brainier for me to investigate further.

1 Password allows me to generate stronger more random passwords than my brain is capable of, and never ever have to remember them, not to mention, with 1Password families, I secured my Girlfriend, Mum and Sisters digital lives too!! and I'm now working on more friends, family and colleagues!

I spent weeks reading review after review, and for me 1Password won everything I wanted!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Good question! I bet there are a lot of interesting stories out there. :)

Honestly while I am definitely on the same page with both of you now as far as using 1Password to keep track of strong, unique passwords for all of my accounts (and more), and help my loved ones do so, I started using it for a very simplistic reason: it was much more convenient for keeping track of information like this and also being able to easily fill into websites. I didn't really do any research into it, as "password manager" wasn't even really a thing that people talked about back then. It was a simpler time with less general awareness of security; and, frankly, before website security breaches were something even tech people talked about much.

I cannot remember the specifics now, because it was so long ago, but I know that I got into 1Password because it was mentioned with regard to online security, I believe on a web show. I love trying new software, and had a need for it, but I don't think it would have "stuck" for me without the organizational and filling features. Otherwise I'd still be using a spreadsheet in an encrypted disk image...but that was more work than I really wanted to do, so here I am. Put another way, I appreciated and cared about the security aspects from the beginning, but the convenience was what got me hooked. ;)

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

@brenty I think If I was an early adopter like yourself then I too would have been hooked on the convenience because it is superb and I was previously using a spreadsheet on an encrypted USB.

I only really decided to take the plunge last year, and for me it was security, I was very very skeptical about trusting one location with my entire digital life, hence the research and taking so long to take the plunge.
    That said, the convenience of 1Password X in particular is an absolute god send, it isn't a reason I would have picked to use 1 Password (that was security all the way) But it is 100% a reason I would now NEVER go anywhere else!

• For me it was a general interest in information security that was sparked by a colleague at the time (pre-AgileBits). If I remember right I started out with KeePass. When I got my first Mac I started looking for something that fit better into the Mac environment and found "1Passwd" (as it was called at the time).

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

I got serious when The Heart Bleed Bug back in 2014 came up. I started to use iCloud Keychain and I wanted more flexibility. I played word a few password managers and settled for 1Password.

Now 1Password isn’t perfect, but I think it’s one of the best.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I remember that! Thanks for the kind words, prime! It's not perfect, but that leaves room for improvement -- which keeps us busy and out of trouble. ;)

• rlgleason51
    rlgleason51
    Community Member
    edited September 2019

My reason was too many logins to remember and keep track of. Especially when my email changed. 1P is my third password manager, can't remember the other two but they either went out of business or changed so that I no longer found them useful.

I believe i've been with 1p since version 4,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that 1Password has helped make all of that manageable for you. And indeed, we're still around thanks to the support of you and the rest of our awesome customers. Thank you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.