Unable to find the 1Password 6 Firefox extension

PatriciaW43
PatriciaW43
Community Member

I recently reinstalled 1Password 6 but somehow messed up the Firefox extension. Where is it?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

I have had this problem before and forgot the solution was that the extensions for 1Password 6 are the same so I have to install the current version. I just wish this was stated on the download page (or did I miss this?)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatriciaW43!

You can download all the browser extensions, including the Firefox one, on this page :)

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

I'm really confused now. Now I am having problems with Safari (similar to the ones I had before with Firefox) and I checked the extension for 1Password and it is for 7.3.2. I understood earlier that the extensions for 1Password 6 and 7 were the same. When I attempt to insert my passwords I get a popup window that has "suggestions" in the left and info about the password in the right but I can't select the suggestion to insert. I thought I had moved 1Password 7 to trash before but it is still there. I cannot delete it because it says it is still open. It isn't as far as I can see. Help.

• @PatriciaW43

It sounds like you haven't successfully completed reverting to 1Password 6. If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure. We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

Ben

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

If I hadn't been forced to accept the subscription model I would have been willing to pay to upgrade to v 7.

• @PatriciaW43

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you'd prefer a license you can select the "need a license? We have those too" option from the welcome screen. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future.

Ben

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

What do you mean by Welcome screen?

• @PatriciaW43

When you first open 1Password 7 you should be presented with this screen (the "welcome" screen):

Ben

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

I have already opened it. How can I get to the page if I have?

• @PatriciaW43

Do you still have your data in 1Password 6? Also, do you remember which option you picked from that screen in order to proceed? If you didn't sign up for a membership then using Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data from the 1Password 7 menu bar at the top of the screen may get you back there. This would not affect the data stored in 1Password 6.

Alternatively, if you're already into the 1Password 7 interface, do you see a 'Read Only' button at the top right of the app? If so, clicking on that should give you the options.

Ben

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

At some point you will give up on this thread ...

when I click on the Read Only button I get the message that "standalone licenses are available when install from our website". I've had 1Password for so long (since 1Password 4) that I do not remember if I got if from your website or App Store (I think it was your website.)

• At some point you will give up on this thread ...

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but we'd definitely like to help you get up and running the way you expect. :)

when I click on the Read Only button I get the message that "standalone licenses are available when install from our website". I've had 1Password for so long (since 1Password 4) that I do not remember if I got if from your website or App Store (I think it was your website.)

Ah, okay. It sounds like you've installed 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store. As mentioned above 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. If you'd like a license you'd need to uninstall that version and install 1Password 7 instead from our website:

1. Quit all running browsers.
    2. Open and then quit 1Password 7 completely by pressing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete 1Password 7 – don’t use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password 7 app from your Applications folder to the Trash, then empty the Trash.
    4. Visit our Download for Mac page and download 1Password 7

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

Didn't display the welcome page after all that. I did it twice to be sure. But eventually I got a message about Read Only button and I was able to start the buy license process from there. So I now the happy owner of 1Password 7. But I'm still getting the suggestions window. Is this a new design?

• PatriciaW43
    PatriciaW43
    Community Member

However, I don't seem to have the Safari extension installed. The App Store gets opened when I attempt to install the extension. Clearly there is still something wrong.

• @PatriciaW43

I believe we've now got that all sorted in another thread, but please let us know if there are any outstanding issues.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.