Password Required prompt won't go away

tdoersch
tdoersch
Community Member

On a mac I have the 1Password 7 extension installed in my Firefox browser. Repeatedly on new pages (even this support forum, for example), a prompt pops up asking for my master password. Dismissing it repeatedly finally makes it go away for that page. Typing in my master password does nothing, which makes me suspicious that it is malware and not actually 1Password functionality at all.
Please confirm if it is legit, and how to make it go away. Attached is a screenshot of what I am talking about. Many thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Password Required prompt

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tdoersch! I'm sorry for the trouble/confusion. That doesn't look like any 1Password prompt I'm familiar with, which makes me think you might still have Firefox's internal password manager still turned on/active. Might that be the case? We recommend you disable your browser's built-in password manager(s), partly for this very reason: you don't need them if you're using 1Password. Here's how to check and disable Firefox's password manager. Let us know if that's not the issue or if you have questions. :)

• tdoersch
    tdoersch
    Community Member

Thanks Lars for the quick response. I think you are right that it is a Firefox master password. I unchecked what you suggested, and will experiment if that does the trick. There is a second checked box there that I am unable to uncheck: "Use a master password." Sounds like that should be unchecked, yet to do so, I need the master password (!) that I do not recall setting in the first place. I hope unchecking "Ask to save logins and passwords" does the trick anyway. Thanks.!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tdoersch - you may need to reset Firefox entirely if this doesn't work and you can't remember whatever Master Password you used for the Firefox password manager. I wouldn't go there just yet; see how everything goes and let us know if there's anything else we can assist with. :)

This discussion has been closed.