Migrating (and feeling blackmailed) to subscription mode on iOS, now lost

Options
sanpedrodechile
sanpedrodechile
Community Member
edited October 2019 in iOS

I am a very strong advocate of 1Password and a client since 2010. I have spent many afternoons with family, friends and even clients to onboard them to 1Password. What you guys are doing now to force users into subscription mode is really ugly and I cannot express enough how frustrated I am. I consider myself as a power user but this hole upgrade and migration is totally confusing. And I still cannot get the Safari integration to work properly. I have to copy all items one by one, field by field when filing in a login on a website. I just don't get it!!!

I managed to migrate my desktop app to your cloud, but I am totally confused on iOS. I am trapped in a loop and fankly don't know which option to choose here anymore! BTW: I do not know how MMTravel got in my way. It is a regular login I once created after an in-app purchase.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 13.1.1.
Sync Type: 1password
Referrer: forum-search:Migration ios

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sanpedrodechile! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please tap on Abbrechen and enter your login information manually from your Emergency Kit?

• sanpedrodechile
    sanpedrodechile
    Community Member
    Options

That's where I originally came from. I now have made some clean-up. MM Travel was apparently an entry in my macOS Keychain and somehow linked to 1Password. I got rid of them as well as all Master Passwords of 1Password in my Keychain.

Something that also took me completely by surprise: When I was forced to create a paid account with 1Password, I had to set an account password. I was NOT aware and never warned, that this is the new Master Password. So when I migrated my vault into your cloud, the old Master Password was no longer valid. It took me 10 minutes filled with adrenaline to get back in.

Guys, you're messing big time with standalone licensed user that synced over iCloud so far. You don't even offer an upgrade-price from 6 to 7. Instead you set the price so high that I am forced to bite into the sour apple. Maybe it's about time to look for another product and educate my community to do likewise after I have been through all this headache. It was all good and working just fine for the past 8 years. Why break stuff!?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sanpedrodechile

I was NOT aware and never warned, that this is the new Master Password.

I went through the membership sign-up process to see what we might be missing here. It seems that the field is pretty well labeled as "Master Password":

If you have any suggestions as to how we could make this more clear I'd be happy to pass those along to our design team for their consideration.

You don't even offer an upgrade-price from 6 to 7.

Well, we do; sort of. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future. It isn't exactly an "upgrade price," as it is also available to new customers. That said, since we aren't advertising licenses anymore, pretty much only existing customers will even know about them.

Instead you set the price so high that I am forced to bite into the sour apple.

I'm sorry you feel membership is a sour apple. We really feel that it is the best way to use 1Password, and is why we're no longer advertising licenses.

Maybe it's about time to look for another product and educate my community to do likewise after I have been through all this headache.

We want all of our customers to be happy with the value they're getting from 1Password, rather than feeling locked in. If you aren't feeling that way then I would certainly encourage you to see what other options are out there. I'm hopeful that we'd come out on top, but that's really something that each individual needs to judge for themselves. For some the tools that come built-in with their operating system or web browser are sufficient and effectively "free." For those that need more power and flexibility we're here. Whichever path you ultimately decide to take I truly wish you the best of luck and hope you're able to find a solution that you're comfortable with and confident in, even if that ends up not being 1Password.

Ben

• sanpedrodechile
    sanpedrodechile
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben: fair answer

• Ben
    Options

Thank you. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.