If I upgrade to "license" will I get my logins back?

Options
tobindia
tobindia
Community Member

I don't seem to be getting attention here, so I'm starting a new thread. I have erroneously trashed 1Password 6, and I cannot now use 1Password on my MAC. My question is, If I buy a license now, will I be able to retrieve my logins, etc. that existed before all of this started? I can no longer see them on my Mac or my iPhone. I think that I was able to back them up on my iPhone before they disappeared.

I have not been able to use 1Password for 3 days! Please help!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know what happened to acd1950, but I had the same problem. Your procedure above, Ben, fixed the problem. Thanks for that! However, a lot of issues/questions now.

Primary is that now 1Password does not work on any of my IOS devices, but I'll address that in a separate thread. On my Mac:

1. Is there any way to open 1Password Mini in the "Logins" screen instead of where it defaults. The default it shows my credit cards, which is not secure!

2. How do I login to an account and have 1Password automatically fill in the userid and password? Clicking "Open" on a website only opens the website.

3. Editing a login brings up the edit screen but causes a freeze such that I can't do anything, even close the edit screen. I have to close Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia - sorry to hear you're still having difficulties.

Is there any way to open 1Password Mini in the "Logins" screen instead of where it defaults.

No. If you click 1Password > Preferences > Mini, you'll see that your choices are "Suggestions," "Favorites," or "All Items." For most people, "Suggestions" is what they want. If you don't want credit cards appearing in 1Password mini (or any other item, for that matter), you can click individual items, click "Edit" then scroll down to the bottom of the item and set the "Display" section to "Never display in browser."

How do I login to an account and have 1Password automatically fill in the userid and password? Clicking "Open" on a website only opens the website.

That sounds like you have a copy of 1Password that isn't authorized via purchase. In 1Password 7 for Mac, you need either a standalone license or a 1password.com membership. If you look at 1Password's main window, do you see a "Read Only" badge on your items (will be in the top-right corner)? If so, this is the reason why you can't fill data: in Read Only mode, you cannot add, delete or edit any of your data, and you can't use the browser extension to save or fill items.

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Now I can't even get 1Password to open! When I try to start Mini, I put in the password, the password gets highlighted, and... nothing. The Mini window just sits there. When I try to start 1Password from Finder, a window pops up saying, "Welcome to 1Password7" with a button to "Subscribe today." I've been using 1Password for years. This all started when I installed the the latest Safari security patch. (I'm running Safari 10.13.6.) Thankfully, I can still run 1Password on my IOS devices, but I'm nervous about now.

• Ben
    Options

@tobindia

Have you purchased a 1Password 7 license, or are you using a 1Password membership? 1Password 7 is not a free upgrade. It requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

1Password 7 is required to use 1Password with Safari.

Ben

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

If I buy a license now, will I be able to retrieve my logins, etc. that existed before all of this started? Remember, I can no longer see them on my Mac.

• Ben
    Options

@tobindia

Licensing (or lack thereof) doesn't prevent you from accessing your 1Password data. Lacking a license may make your data read-only, but it won't make it inaccessible. If you don't have access to your data at all it isn't for licensing reasons. Where is your 1Password data stored, currently?

Ben

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

I assume that it's on my Mac. How do I find out?

• Ben
    Options

What do you currently see when you launch 1Password for Mac? If you see the welcome screen what happens if you close out of that window using the X in the upper left of the window?

Ben

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

I see the Welcome screen when I launch 1Password. When I close it out, the screen goes away, and then the Mac just returns to "normal" tho without 1Password.

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Is there anyone else that can address this? If I buy a license now, will I be able to retrieve my logins, etc. that existed before all of this started? Remember, I can no longer see them on my Mac.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia:

What do you see when you open the Applications folder on your Mac? Do you see one or more 1Password apps in there?

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

I see 1Password 7.

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Still no response. I feel like I've fallen down a rabbit hole. I have not been able to use 1Password for 3 days, and I can't even get a response. It seems that I'm being ignored. by Agilebits, so why spend more money?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia: We've been responding to you for days. Posting in multiple places just complicates and slows down the support process for everyone, including you. Please don't do that.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: After an OS security update (10.13.6), 1P extension does not appear..
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia: I've merged all of your posts into a single discussion so we can stay on the same page (no pun intended). If you'll let me know what questions you still have, I'll be happy to answer them. :)

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

OK. I'll start again. I upgraded my Safari to 13.0.1. After that, my 1Password didn't work. I don't even recall what the issue was. Anyway, I found this thread, I followed the procedure that Ben suggested on June 10 in that thread. In that process, I deleted 1Password 6 & 7 from the Applications folder, and fell down into this license vs. thread rabbit hole. Currently, I can do nothing with 1Password on my Mac. Mini asks for my password, but does not respond when I enter it. Finder > Applications > 1Password 7 sometimes gives me the Welcome screen and sometimes even lets me see and use my data. Sometimes it does both.

So, OK. I'm willing to upgrade to, if I have the terminology correct, to a "license." When this started happening, I also did a backup on my iPhone, which I then downloaded to my Mac. One of the times that I could see my data on my Mac, I did an File > Export > All items. So, my question is, simply, if I upgrade to a license, will I then be able to see all of my logins, Secure Notes, etc., and continue syncing with my IOS devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia: Thanks for getting back to me, and for the clarifications. :)

So, my question is, simply, if I upgrade to a license, will I then be able to see all of my logins, Secure Notes, etc., and continue syncing with my IOS devices?

You can do it one of two ways: 1) Purchasing a license for 1Password for Mac version 7 will allow you to use that app with your data unrestricted (instead of "read only"), and it is compatible with 1Password for iOS, etc. You'll need purchase/manage licenses for any other versions you want to use, and sync and backup your own data. 2) Or you can get all of the apps and updates along with automatic offsite backup, and no license management or sync configuration -- you just sign into your account on each device to access your data.

A few questions:

1. If you do a Spotlight search for "1Password", do you find more than one copy of the app?
    2. What do you see in Safari Preferences > Extensions?
    3. Where do you have all of your 1Password data currently?

Thanks!

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options
    1. I see only 1 copy and that is 1Password 7
    2. The left column of Safari > Preferences > Extensions has only 1 entry, 1Password. The right shows 1Password 7.3.2
    3. I do not know where the 1Password data is. I assume that it's on my Mac
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia: Thanks! Can you check that though? If you open 1Password for Mac, do you have all of your data there? It will be "read only" without a valid license or membership, but one thing at a time. :)

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, all of my data appears to be there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia: Thanks! I wanted to make sure since earlier it sounded like you couldn't find it. Since you've got all of your data in 1Password on your Mac, and then you can follow this guide to take you through signing up for a membership, migrating your data to the account, and setting up any other devices you want to use 1Password on:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

And if you have any questions along the way, just let me know. Happy to help. :)

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Well, I think I've upgraded. I can see a difference on my Mac but not on my IOS devices. How can I tell? Also, the upgrade process on my Mac had me enter a new master password, but my IOS devices still have the old (< 10 char.) password. Shouldn't they have asked also?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia:

Have you added your 1Password account to the iOS app as well?

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

I think so. Settings > 1Password Accounts shows “tobindia’s Family” under “YOUR ACCOUNTS”

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tobindia:

Then you should be all set :) The reason why the 1Password app on your iOS device is still asking for your old password is probably because you left your old Primary vault there. If you have migrated everything to your 1Password account already, you can remove the old vault from the app under 1Password Settings in the 1Password app > Vaults > Primary vault.

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

That worked. Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Ana and the rest of the team you are most welcome. Thanks for your patience while we sort through this process with you. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• tobindia
    tobindia
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry. One more question. On my Mac, all of my 1Password items are duplicated. Under 1Password > Settings > Vaults "Show in All Vaults," I have a checkbox for tobindia's Family with sub-checkboxes of Private and Shared and another checkbox for Primary. (All checkboxes are checked.) Should I delete the "Primary" vault?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

Yes. :) To do that, from the menu bar, choose Vault > Switch to Vault > Primary. Then choose Vault > Delete Vault.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.