Chrome Extension works fine works fine but the 1passord app and mini won't unlock

Stompie79
Stompie79
Community Member

Bought a family membership start of august, to try out before trying to convince my family to use it. Haven't enrolled anyone else yet.
To start with no issues but for the last week I cannot log into the 1password app or mini. I just get the red lock image which indicates wrong password I assume.
Bizarrely I can still login to the chrome extension with the master password and have even tried copying the master password from there to try and unlock the app to no avail.
This seems to co-incidentally have happened around the time I've been having some internet issues but I don't believe this should have an impact?
I'm also able to login online no problem. It really does seem to just be the app.
Any thoughts on how to resolve?

1Password Version: 7.3.705
Extension Version: 1.16.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Stompie79: Are you able to sign into the 1Password website successfully, and is all of your data in your account there? I wonder if you have an old local vault setup in the app still. In that case, it wouldn't be your account's Master Password used to unlock the app, but rather the one you setup for the old vault.

• Stompie79
    Stompie79
    Community Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am able to sign into the 1password website fine and it definitely is up to date. I just added a new password tonight in the chrome extension and it's there on the website now. I'm a new user since the start of August so don't have an old master password to use. Keep the ideas coming though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Stompie79: Thanks for letting me know! That helps a lot. Since all of your data is in your 1Password account, just make sure you have your Emergency Kit too, and then you can reset the app on your PC (1Password Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data), and finally sign into your account to set it up. Let me know how it goes. :)

• Stompie79
    Stompie79
    Community Member

Bearing in mind I'm still a noob to this I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "you can reset the app on your PC (1Password Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data)". Are you meaning in the app? As mentioned in the OP I can't get into the app at this point that's why I'm posting. Just the website and the chrome extension. I googled your recommendation and found https://support.1password.com/starting-over/
    Does this wipe everything from the website, the extension and the app? I've got over 20 login and passwords saved at the moment while I'm trailing this password manager. Should I be exporting them for re-import after the reset or of I follow the instructions at that website is it just going to reset the app which is the problem? I don't really want to loose what I've already been bringing into 1password.
    Is the forum the best place for me to be doing this or is email better?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Stompie79:

Are you meaning in the app? As mentioned in the OP I can't get into the app at this point that's why I'm posting.

You can start over in the app without unlocking it.

Does this wipe everything from the website, the extension and the app?

It only wipes everything from the app. Your 1Password data that is stored in your 1Password account is not touched.

Should I be exporting them for re-import after the reset or of I follow the instructions at that website is it just going to reset the app which is the problem?

You just need to reset the app and keep your Emergency Kit ready. After you have reset the app, you can add your 1Password account to the app again, using the information from your Emergency Kit.

Is the forum the best place for me to be doing this or is email better?

Whichever you prefer. We can continue the discussion here and move it to email in case we need to share personal information. So far, this has not been necessary (and to reset the app, it rarely is) so we can continue here for now :)

• Stompie79
    Stompie79
    Community Member

Just for anyone else finding this. As I'm new to 1password I had missed that you can reset the app from the front page top left Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data. As I'd mainly been using the "Mini" app I'd not spotted this and I wasn't clear where to find it from the instructions above.
    I kind of left the issue for a month as I was frustrated and busy. Re-reading everything here tonight I was able to have everything working in 5 minutes.
    I look forward to digging into this now to use all the powerful options it seems are available to me.
    Time to go find some howto's
    Thanks for the help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Stompie79: Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to get things working. Is there something you need help with? I'll be happy to point you in the direction of any guides that are relevant, or give you some pointers if it's something more specific. :)

• Stompie79
    Stompie79
    Community Member

I'm more looking for information to help me understand the features beyond just password management and generation. You seem to have a lot of features but I want to understand them properly before I dive in. I've got the family package but before I roll it out to other I need to build my confidence as I'll end up as the admin. I'm a reasonable amateur family techy but this is my first password manager. More on the separate and shared vaults would be good.
    A bit more on helping people reset there passwords.
    I also have a couple of yubico security keys I'd like to test out and try for convenience.
    You guys have a great forum here and I appreciate the speed of response.

• @Stompie79

More on the separate and shared vaults would be good.

You can read more about that here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

A bit more on helping people reset there passwords.

If you mean helping them recover their Master Password if they forget it, we have a guide on that here:

Recover accounts for family or team members

If instead you mean updating passwords for various accounts to stronger passwords this should help:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

I also have a couple of yubico security keys I'd like to test out and try for convenience.

A supported Yubikey can be used to add a layer of security when authorizing a new device. I wouldn't argue that it adds any convenience. If anything, I'd say it removes some convenience, as in addition to inputting your 1Password credentials when authorizing a new device you will also need to interact with your Yubikey.

So there may be some benefit to using a Yubikey, but it isn't convenience. ;) Further details on how to use one with 1Password can be found in this guide:

Use your YubiKey as an authenticator to sign in to your 1Password account

Ben

• Stompie79
    Stompie79
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, I'll be sure to review those.

The main convenience for me, with a yubikey, is I'd like to try 2FA but my phone tends not always be with me (maybe dating myself there I hope I haven't shocked anyone). My keys, which I'm planning to add the security key to are always nearby. Convenience is definitely relative I guess.

Grateful for all the awesome support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for yours! We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.