Is my 1Password vault autmatically uploaded to the 1Password cloud with a subscription?

Options
jhallettbc
jhallettbc
Community Member

My question says it all.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Is my 1Password vault autmatically uploaded to the 1Password cloud?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jhallettbc!

No, if you decide not to migrate your data to your 1Password account, your data remains where it is now.

• PhilipD
    PhilipD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to the previous member for this question. I have always kept my primary vault (as it used to be called) on Dropbox. It's important to me to have my passwords accessible from all my devices. I'm trialling 1P7 now, with a membership, and it's all working fine. But I'm still unclear about whether it's accessing my vault on Dropbox or a copy of it stored on 1Password's own servers. So how can I find out, and are there advantages with moving the vault to 1Password?

• jhallettbc
    jhallettbc
    Community Member
    Options

I now have the same question as PhillpD above. If I migrate my data to my 1Password account, can I keep Dropbox as a secondary backup? How do you migrate your data to the 1Password account?

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to 1P7 and it created a vault Dave-Personal which I believe to be on your servers. There is no other choice. I do not want this. I want to use iCloud just as before. One cloud, simple. I cannot find any option to use my existing iCloud vault that all my iOS devices sync to. I do not want to move a "copy" to iCloud and leave the original one in limbo. Please help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PhilipD:

But I'm still unclear about whether it's accessing my vault on Dropbox or a copy of it stored on 1Password's own servers. So how can I find out, and are there advantages with moving the vault to 1Password?

The easiest way to check this is by looking at your vaults in the app. If your data is inside the Primary vault, it's synced via Dropbox. If your data is inside the Personal or Private vault instead, it's synced through 1Password.com.

Moving your data to 1Password.com has several advantages: sync is optimized and automatic and you get access to all the features that come with a Membership, while if you leave data on Dropbpox, you only get sync.

I hope this helps!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhallettbc:

If I migrate my data to my 1Password account, can I keep Dropbox as a secondary backup?

You can, although your data is backed up automatically on 1Password.com, so keeping a secondary backup won't be necessary. If you still want to do it however, you can definitely do this manually anytime you wish.

How do you migrate your data to the 1Password account?

If you have added your account to the 1Password app already, you can move or copy your data from your Primary vault to your 1Password account.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_C:

I upgraded to 1P7 and it created a vault Dave-Personal which I believe to be on your servers. There is no other choice. I do not want this. I want to use iCloud just as before. One cloud, simple. I cannot find any option to use my existing iCloud vault that all my iOS devices sync to. I do not want to move a "copy" to iCloud and leave the original one in limbo. Please help!

It sounds like you have created a 1Password Membership account during the upgrade. Can you confirm whether you actually intended to do so, especially if you wish to keep syncing your data via iCloud?

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I did. The first thing after the upgrade was "Name" which was actually Username, and then a Master Password. I assumed to continue using it, I had to.

• jhallettbc
    jhallettbc
    Community Member
    Options

I hope this is the right place to continue with my question. Now that I'm getting clearer about the subscription and the primary vault, I don't want to use Dropbox anymore. Currently when I go to Preferences in 1P 7, it shows my vault is Personal which I now understand means it syncs to my Dropbox. So the question is, how do I change my vault to Primary and just use 1P 7? If I click on the down menus, I don't see anything for Primary. It would be helpful if you included a screen shot of what the preference screen should look like when Vaults is chosen.
    Thanks.

• PhilipD
    PhilipD
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. The vault showing in the app is a Personal vault, so stored by 1Password.com, correct? The one in Dropbox has been named 1Password.opvault. What does this signify? Hopefully this will be my final question!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_C - then you did indeed create a 1Password membership/account. I'm sorry for the confusion. You're more than welcome to continue using it on a trial basis for the full 30 days free (and beyond), but if you would like to revert to a standalone setup using iCloud sync, I'd want to know a little more about your 1Password "ecosystem" before advising you to take any particular actions. Do you use 1Password on any other devices? Have you switched those over to your 1Password account, or are they still using the older standalone, iCloud-synced vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhallettbc -

Currently when I go to Preferences in 1P 7, it shows my vault is Personal which I now understand means it syncs to my Dropbox.

No. If you have a vault called "Personal," then unless you named it that yourself by renaming a vault of your own, it means you have a 1password.com account/membership, which does not sync using Dropbox; it uses the 1password.com servers to sync your data.

If you have both a Personal vault and a Primary vault, then it's likely you also have duplicated data, in which case I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#ULK-52887-861]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @jhallettbc only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: ULK-52887-861

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@PhilipD -

The vault showing in the app is a Personal vault, so stored by 1Password.com, correct?

Yes.

The one in Dropbox has been named 1Password.opvault.

OPVault is the format of sync keychain we use for your data when you sync it via Dropbox (or Folder Sync). That's likely to have been your former standalone vault's sync keychain.

If you look in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults and see only the Personal vault and the Primary vault, and you created your 1Password account fairly recently (i.e. - you have not been making a lot of additions/changes/deletions), then you can safely use these instructions to remove the Primary vault (you're already signed into the account, obviously, so just remove Primary), on this and any other devices on which you plan to use your new 1Password account. Let us know if you have any questions.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    Options

I have 2 macs, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads. All on the same Apple ID. All the iOS devices and 1 Mac(on 6.8.8) syncing 1P on iCloud. Only one Mac has 1P7 and the problem. The other Mac is rarely used and still running 12.1.1 Safari so it hasn't had the extension issue yet.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_C - in that case, and presuming you would like to stick with a standalone setup instead of the 1Password account you opened, all you need to do is:

1. Verify that there is no data in 1Password on this Mac that is NOT yet in your standalone, iCloud-synced vault. You can do this by viewing All Items and setting the sort order at the top of the item list to "Date Modified." This will give you a date-descending list of when things were changed. Compare it to the data that's in 1Password on your other devices that are all still using iCloud.
    2. Assuming there's no data you need to recover from either the 1Password account's vault or the Dropbox-synced vault, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. Be careful, this will do what it says: delete all local 1Password data, then quit, allowing you to start over. When you restart 1Password, it will be as if you are a brand-new user. Click the iCloud option to use that data, and you'll be an all-iCloud user again. Your data on this Mac will be in Read Only mode (because you're using version 7 without having paid for it yet). Click the Read Only badge, and you'll see the Purchase Options window, where you'll be able to purchase a standalone license:

Let us know if you have any questions.

• David_C
    David_C
    Community Member
    Options

All good! Deleted the online account and purchased the license. Everything is syncing as it should. The Safari extension Mini is much different and more difficult to use. No auto-submit anymore? Putting Favorites on top of the list when I am not specifically in Favorites?
    Not venting, just critiquing. I am just very happy to have things working again. Don't worry, I am blaming Apple for this!

Thanks for all the help!
    Dave

• jhallettbc
    jhallettbc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Lars. I only have a Personal account (that's the only one that appears) so that means that my data isn't being backed up to Dropbox then. That's what I wanted to know. I have a slight anxiety with just having the 1P back up after a problem with the Apple iCloud. I had a number of files in Pages (the Apple word app) and there was some glitch and a number of files were lost. I was shocked to hear that Apple could not recover them. They were permanently lost; hard to believe that could happen with Apple. Since then I have my own back up for my Pages documents! I'd hate to lose all my passwords due to some glitch.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@David_C:

No auto-submit anymore?

The feature that allowed 1Password to do this was removed in macOS Mojave unfortunately. Luckily, after the data is filled, we leave the cursor there so you can just press the Enter key to submit :)

Putting Favorites on top of the list when I am not specifically in Favorites?

If you are in the All Items menu, Favorites will be shown at the top of the list. Only if you are in the default Suggestions menu are Favorites not shown automatically.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhallettbc:

We backup your 1Password automatically for you :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhallettbc - just to add to what ana_ag already said, not only do we back up your data redundantly (AWS is our actual server back-end), you also have the local cache on your own device. That covers both remote, offsite backups and retains a local copy of your data (on your device) if somehow either AWS or we were to go dark. Hope that helps. :)

• jhallettbc
    jhallettbc
    Community Member
    Options

Terrific. You have definitely set my mind at ease. I am fine now with paying the monthly subscription fee knowing all this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jhallettbc - :) :+1: Awesome!

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, Set up the account, 1Password7 and mini working fine in Chrome and Safari, 1P6 has been deleted in the process.
    Can I delete the 1Password folder in Dropbox, containing the old agilekeychain now that I'm in your vault?
    Another thing: until now I used a reasonable simple password, but now that the master password is the same one for the main app and the mini, as well as my.1password.com that's out of the question.
    But is a bit boring that I have to manually enter a long password every time I open the browser and want to use the mini. Am I missing something over here?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @LeonK

You can delete the 1Password data from Dropbox once you've migrated, yes. As for the Master Password situation... the only requirement for Master Passwords now is that they be 10 characters. We recommend using something longer, as the longer your Master Password is the stronger it is, but it just has to be at least 10 characters. You can adjust how often 1Password locks in the 1Password > Preferences > Security. Setting the auto-lock settings differently may be a good compromise.

Ben

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, in the meantime I've set up 1Password 6.8.9 on the Old Macbook Pro with El Capitan, and though its' not 1P7, I assume the Oldtimer uses the same vault as well, ust to be sure?

• Ben
    Options

@LeonK

1Password membership requires 1Password 6.6 or later at this point, so v6.8.9 should work with your membership. That said, we can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no loner being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password.

So the short answer is that for now, yes, you should be able to use the same vault(s) with 1Password 6.8.9 as you're using with v7.

Ben

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member
    Options

Which means my old and trusted Macbook Pro has to leave the building :-(
    So be it, was the plan anyway :-)

• Ben
    Options

;) :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.