1Password X Beta for Firefox/MacOS: Can't establish connection to desktop app

njvack
njvack
Community Member

Hi folks,

I found the cool 1Password X Firefox Beta thread, and am trying it out — I'm excited to get things like Touch ID support. However! When go into 1Password X -> Settings, I get a message that it can't establish a connection to my desktop app.

I've installed and unlocked the desktop app, and have the same single account signed on to both. I'm in Firefox 70.0b9 (I guess I love me some beta).

Is there any more debugging I can do to get these connected? Do I need to have both X and the regular browser extension installed? I've tried both the regular and beta desktop apps, for what that's worth.

Thanks!

EDIT: I realized that I should have put this in the "Mac Beta" forum; my apologies.

1Password Version: 7.3.3.BETA-2 (70303002)
Extension Version: 1.17.1
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Native 1Password

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @njvack! I'd love to get a hold of your console log to see if that gives us any hints. We've got a guide that explains how to grab them from the background page of 1Password X here. Would you mind pasting them in your comment back to me? If you feel more comfortable moving over to email, we can do that as well. Just let me know. :)

• njvack
    njvack
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn,

Hm, it won't let me post the log, it's too long and I can't attach .txt files on this forum for some reason. Let's do email... can you pull it from my profile or should I post it here?

Thanks!

• njvack
    njvack
    Community Member

Also! The instructions to get a console log from Firefox are different now. Now it's:

1. Go to about:debugging#/runtime/this-firefox
    2. Click the "Inspect" button for your extension
    3. The view will change to an Inspector window. Click "Console" in the toolbar up top
    4. A bunch of javascript debugging will appear. Right-click somewhere in the messages -> Export visible messages to -> File (or Clipboard, if that's what you want)
  • kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Sorry about that, @njvack! I didn't expect it to be too long, but you can absolutely email it instead. Go ahead and send it to support+x@1password.com and include a link to this discussion as well as your forum username so we can match things up easily.

Thanks so much for letting me know our instructions are off! I don't use Firefox as my daily driver, and it's been a while since I've even collected a log there, so I really appreciate it. I'll reach out to the team and work on getting it updated. :)

• njvack
    njvack
    Community Member

For what it's worth, this was resolved on both of my machines by a reboot. I gotta say, it's great. I wish all my GA software was as stable as your beta releases are.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@njvack – I'm glad to hear a reboot did the trick!

You're too kind. :chuffed: Thank you from me and the entire 1Password X team.

I also want to add how grateful I am that we have folks like you willing to try out beta releases and report issues as soon as you come across them. It truly is how we keep improving 1Password X. ❤️

• schac8
    schac8
    Community Member

Hi,

I just installed the 1Password X beta (1.17.1) in Firefox (69.0.1) and I am having the same issue, where I get the message in 1P X settings that it is unable to establish a connection with the 1Password desktop app (v. 7.3.2, which is open and unlocked). Rebooting did not solve the issue. I'm emailing the console log to support+x@1password.com. Thanks for any help you can provide.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @schac8! I actually may know the issue right off the bat. You mentioned that you're running 1Password for Mac 7.3.2, but the beta will be required for Desktop App Integration to work properly. Please follow this guide to install the 1Password for Mac beta and let me know if you have any better luck after that.

ref: KDE-38258-171

• schac8
    schac8
    Community Member

It's working with the beta. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! Thanks for the update. :)

This discussion has been closed.