Difficulty updating password

Cybernettr
Cybernettr
Community Member
edited October 2019 in iOS

I had to create a new login for a medical website on my iPad. iOS suggested a password, but I decided to use the 1Password plug-in and go with its own suggested password.

I tapped Create Account and the login was accepted. 1Password did not give me a confirmation that the password had been saved. Later I went into the 1Password app and saw that it had no login for that site.

What the heck do I do when 1Password fails like this? Am I supposed to write down the password each time I create a new password manually?

The password box on the site was so small I could not see the whole password, and sometimes they are just shown as dots. The passwords are designed to be cumbersome and hard to write down accurately and that kind of defeats the purpose of using a password manager in the first place.

How do I know if the password is accepted or not and what do I do if it isn’t? By the time the login is accepted by the site, it is too late to correct 1Password if it fails.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Cybernettr,

I'd be happy to help with this. I've never run into a situation like this or felt the need to write down a generated password, so I suspect there may be a way to modify your workflow to eliminate some of these concerns.

First:

iOS suggested a password

We recommend turning that off, as it can conflict with 1Password. To turn it off...

1. On the Home screen, tap Settings.
    2. Tap Passwords & Accounts > AutoFill Passwords.
    3. Turn on AutoFill Passwords.
    4. Make sure 1Password is selected and deselect iCloud Keychain (1Password should be the only option selected).

I tapped Create Account and the login was accepted. 1Password did not give me a confirmation that the password had been saved.

I just went through this process myself, using this website (our forum) as an example.

1. Open Safari
    2. Navigate to https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/register
    3. Fill in the Email and Username fields
    4. When you get to the password field tap on the key icon above the keyboard
    5. Tap 1Password
    6. Tap Create Login
    7. Fill in the same username you've chosen when filling in the form on the website
    8. Tap Generate Password
    9. Tap Save & Fill in the upper right corner
    10. 1Password saves this login, and also copies the generated password to the clipboard (e.g. so you can do step 11)
    11. Paste the generated password into the Confirm Password field
    12. Do the Security Check, agree to the terms of service, etc.
    13. Tap Sign Up

The next time you visit the login form for our forum (https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin) 1Password should present you with the login item you saved in step 9 above.

That is generally how it should go. Could you please let me know where things are going differently for you?

Ben

• Cybernettr
    Cybernettr
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. At step 3 where you say, "Fill in the Email and Username fields," I assume you mean fill in my existing login info, since I already have an existing account on this forum.

It would be nice if there were a special website specifically for the testing of passwords and password software, like, say testpassword.org (I just made that up). I'm afraid of messing something up if I try this on an existing account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. Bad things can happen if 1Password fills login credentials for one website into another, so we actively prevent it from doing so. Ben is just explaining how you might avoid the issue you contacted us about. Let us know if you have any questions.

• Cybernettr
    Cybernettr
    Community Member

Every website is different, has different password requirements, slightly different methods of creating an account, etc, but what basically happened on the original site is I followed steps 1 - 13 and thought I created the login successfully, yet when I checked the 1PW app, there was no login saved for it. I know I created the login successfully, because the original site sent me a confirmation.

Step 13 says 1Password copies the generated password to the clipboard. If I read this correctly, it means I can then check the 1PW app and make sure the pw was saved, and if not, I can then paste the pw in from the clipboard. I wish I didn't have to do this, but at least it would be a way around the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You having successfully created an account on a website does not mean you've saved it in 1Password though. If you used 1Password to generate the password for it, you may have it saved as a Password item matching that URL.

It's worth noting that if you save your login credentials in 1Password in the first place, even if you change them in 1Password but it turns out the site doesn't accept it, you can still find the "old" (actually current) password in the Login item's password history. You won't get locked out as long as you've saved it in the first place. :)

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

I have been having trouble with iPassword for the last couple of days—on some of my credit card accounts the page won’t even open after I click on passwords or the password key after typing in my login... I created a login and a password to change my Apple password and it seem to do fine but then it won’t even pull up for me when I’m over in the Apple site...I wasn't even able to set up an iPassword password on this site I tried to follow the instructions above and it tells me that that email is already in use...I think there must be an easier way of doing this whole process since I have been working on it for the last week and still only have about less than 100 of my password needs filled in... I downloaded this app because it said that it worked well with iOS 13 and I’m up-to-date on that...For the last two days I will click on an app or a website and it pulls up that it needs my user name or email and then my password and I will type in my username or email and then touch passwords or the key down at the bottom and my screen freezes—it doesn’t do it all the time...but it only does it with iPassword...the screen froze when I tried to make a password here as well

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

My biggest concern is that most of my bank cards have had their passwords changed by this program and I didn’t write them down so I have no idea what they are

• Hi @carleyrn95

Could you please check the items you're having trouble with and make sure they have a website field that matches the URL of the account's web page? For example, your Apple login item should have a website field with something like https://apple.com or https://appleid.apple.com in it.

Do they all have such fields? Please let me know.

Ben

P.S. Its 1Password (one password), not iPassword. :)

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

I got the
    I got the Apple ID one to work but I’m still having trouble with several of my credit card accounts...After I click on the word passwords on the bottom of the screen things freeze up and I can’t do anything else

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

And it’s only on certain items—other items work fine but then specific ones don’t work and yes they all have a website

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

Or sometimes when I go to the app site and I push passwords it doesn’t do anything it just the screen freezes up and I can’t do anything else

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@carleyrn95: Using iOS Password Autofill in any app is entirely dependent on its developer having updated to support it by following Apple's guidelines. That said, I'm able to login to the Capital One app just fine. If the app freezes and you go back to the home screen and then try again, does that work?

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

No it does not... and the reason that I have pinpointed the 1Password as the problem is because I have three separate accounts with CAPITAL ONE and I am able to access two of them but not the third as well as credit one bank to I can’t see any other one I can’t...and I apologize for calling it iPassword as opposed to 1Password...I am using talk to text

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

I meant also with the credit one bank I have three accounts and I am able to see two of them but not the third as well

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

This is what the page looks like when I click on password or the key icon on the screen freezes and no, backing out and then attempting to try again does not work...I’ve even shut my phone completely off and given it a hard boot...will I lose all of my information if I delete the app (1Password) and attempt to reinstall

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@carleyrn95: Ohhh thanks for clarifying. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're just not seeing some login credentials being offered by Autofill. Is that right? If so, can you see them in the main 1Password app?

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

Okay yes... I am seeing that I didn’t have a valid website address for that particular card I’m a little confused though because it has worked in the past it’s just been the last couple of days that it hasn’t...so then I have two questions-if you have an app and an actual physical website page do you need to list both of them and or is one preferable over the other for the link...and try as I might when I come to a website with a password-I click on “passwords” on the bottom and it tells me to create a login which is wonderful and then I get my password (the complicated one) which is wonderful but then it won’t copy and paste so I have to enter it manually on the site where I’m needing to login...is there a better way because that is taking me forever...and thank you for your time

• carleyrn95
    carleyrn95
    Community Member

One more question...if a password is listed under “credit card” does it still need to stay listed under “logins” and if the credit card info is solely listed under “logins” and I want to move it to the right category do I have to re enter all the info...cause that’s what I’ve been doing—it’s the only way I can figure out how—I think this is going to be a wonderful app as long as it doesn’t crash on me except it’s going to take me years to get all of my information switched over and stored in here

• It is possible something changed with the app you're trying to use between when it last worked and now. To fill in an app the website field on the Login item has to match the Associated Domain defined by the app. Generally this is the same as the company's website, but either way, when you save a new login from within Password AutoFill, it'll pick up the appropriate details.

Usernames and passwords can only be filled from Login items, not credit card items. So if you want to fill your credentials you need a Login item.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.