My husband passed away. He was a developer and unfortunately now I need access to his data.

Options
PatriciaLopes
PatriciaLopes
Community Member

Dear all,

I would like to ask your help to recover the 1Password of my husband: Geert van Dort. He was a young drupal developer who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and passed away only 5 months later. As you all must understand, it was not a priority by that time to question Geert about his passwords.

He passed away last year in 8 May of 2018. I have all the necessary documents from the Belgian authorities (notary and city hall) as I am his heir and I could provide those by email to any administrator from 1Password.

I did have the necessity to recover the password before but it was just another problem I wanted to put aside since I had so much on my shoulder until last August (I have been in court with the bank because of my insurance who didn't want to pay our mortgage, as well, as all the financial burden after he passed away.)

It became quite urgent now to have access to his email because he was the developer of my website. I have already changed the subscriptions payment methods of almost everything (like Digital Ocean, for example) but I couldn't manage to know which is the company behind my domain. By that time, I could still make payment with our previous credit card, and the subscription renew automatically, but now I can't access his gmail account not longer.

Could anyone help me further with this question? I am more then able to show the necessary documents for your team to verify my authenticity.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:My husband passed away

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @PatriciaLopes

I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your husband. We'll be happy to help in any way that we can, however we are fairly limited in what we're able to do. For example, we never have access to any of the data our customers store within 1Password. Because we don't have that, we have no ability to give it to someone else. It isn't a matter of proof or documentation: the system is designed in such a way as to prevent us from doing so. All data stored in 1Password is encrypted using the customer's Master Password. The only way to decrypt that information is by entering the Master Password.

If Geert was using a 1Password subscription membership he may have printed a copy of his Emergency Kit, which is designed to help in situations like this. You can read more about this document here:

Get to know your Emergency Kit

Were you able to locate any such document among his paperwork? If not, it will likely not be possible for you to gain access to the data he stored in 1Password. In that case you may have better luck accessing his accounts by going directly to the companies that operate each of those services.

If Geert does have a 1Password membership that is still being billed please reach out to our billing team at support@1password.com and they can assist in cancelling the subscription. If you do end up finding Geert's Master Password you will still be able to access his data, even if you cancel. Subscriptions that are not being paid enter a "frozen" state where the data becomes read-only.

Again I'm sorry to hear about Geert's passing and if we can help in any way please let us know.

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about your loss.

I couldn't manage to know which is the company behind my domain.

If you want to know the "registrar" that keeps record of your domain name, a (free) Whois service might be of help.

For example for the domain name 1password.com this line is in the report:

Registrar: Tucows Domains Inc.

So for that particular domain you would need to contact the company "Tucows". Please try this with your own domain name.

Hope this helps (a bit).

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for chiming in @XIII. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.