To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Upgrade to 1Password 7?

bvoyles
bvoyles
Community Member

I sent an email a week ago to sales@1password.com almost a week ago. I got a BitBot reply email back from support@1password.com (not sales) within a day, but have never gotten an email from an actual person even after I replied to the BitBot. This is what I asked about....

I'm currently a 1Password 6 user. I'm content with it. It works fine. I've been a 1Password user since 2011 and this particular version since 2016. I use it on my two iMacs and I'd like to also use it on my 2 iPads and iPhones, but I'm not currently doing so. The only reason I'm asking about 1Password 7 at all is that there is no longer a Safari extension for 1Password 6. So far the Chrome extension is working, but I feel like it's only a matter of time before that ceases to function as well.

So, what is different about 1Password 7? I don't really want to do a monthly subscription and in looking at the other commentary it doesn't look like I need to, but I'm not exactly sure of the difference between a monthly subscription vs a stand alone purchase or what the process is for getting this set up. Can you please advise?

Finally, I tried to log into the 1Password.com site and it asks for a Secret Key. I don't have one and it doesn't look like I can sign in without one. When I look at the help section about where to find my Secret Key within the app, it says look in Preferences and then click on the Accounts tab. I have no accounts listed in the column to look at. It says, "Already have a 1Password account?". Why yes, I do. "Click the + button to add it to this Mac". If I click the + sign, it asks for the Secret Key. So apparently I must enter the Secret Key to find the Secret Key.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeMcD
    MikeMcD
    Community Member

Same.
    Getting expensive/confusing.

• Hi @bvoyles

I'm sorry about the delay. With the release of iOS 13 as well as Safari 13 we've seen a significant uptick in requests which has unfortunately caused response times to be extended significantly. We're working as quickly as we can to address everyone's questions.

You can read about what is new in 1Password 7 here:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

That post was published when 1Password 7 first launched over a year ago, so things have improved even more since then. This guide talks about the advantages of membership:

About 1Password membership

Membership is the way forward. :+1: Standalone licenses are still available for customers familiar with how they work and who are comfortable with their "DIY" approach, but we're no longer advertising them. They are available within the 1Password 7 apps when downloaded from our website by selecting the "need a license? We have those too" option from the bottom of the welcome screen.

It says, "Already have a 1Password account?". Why yes, I do.

You only have a 1Password account if you have a 1Password subscription membership.

Ben

• @MikeMcD

I'm not seeing any recent emails from you, but I'm happy to help. Does the information I provided to bvoyles above provide some clarity?

An individual 1Password membership, which allows you to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of your compatible devices (no separate licenses / upgrades), can be had for as little as $2.99 USD + tax / mo. Obviously I'm biased, but I think 1Password provides plenty of value to justify that cost.

Ben

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

Thank you for clarifying about the account. So I must download 1Password 7 and then select "need a license" from somewhere within the app, which will give me the option to purchase a stand alone license? What is the cost of this license?

When I upgraded to 1 Password 6, my upgrade fee was $39.99. Incidentally, with three years between upgrades at $2.99/mo + tax would be at least $115. Therefore, it's very important for there to be clarity in the differences between the stand alone license and the monthly subscription in both cost and features. I don't see that information listed in your response, nor on the 1Password website.

On a site note, my email to sales@1password.com was sent 9/24/19 at 10:52 am. My reply from support@1password.com was received 9/24/19 at 12:58 pm. My followup reply after no further communication from 1Password was 9/27/19 at 8:01 am.

• @bvoyles

Licenses are regularly priced at $65 USD + tax, but as of writing are on sale for $50 USD + tax for a limited time. They do not include the 1Password.com membership service, or upgrades. You can read more about the benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

Ben

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

Ben,

I see no way to purchase the stand alone license. I downloaded the app. I've searched the web site and the app and can't find "need a license? We have those too" anywhere. Can you please provide specific instructions?

Becky

• @bvoyles

Did you download the app from our website? Licenses are only available within the 1Password 7 app when downloaded from our website.

Ben

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

Yes, I did.

• @bvoyles

Do you see a 'Read Only' badge in the upper right corner of the app? I'm not sure how you might've gotten past the welcome screen without signing up for a membership or buying a license, but if you did the app should be in read-only mode and display that badge. Clicking on that badge should show you your options. If you don't see that... do you have an account added in 1Password > Preferences > Accounts?

Ben

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

No, it's not in read only mode. I had to sign up for the trial membership before I could download the app. So yes, I have an account because I had to create one.

• Okay. You don't actually have to create an account to download the app. You'd have to remove that account from the app before you can buy a license. Once you remove it, it should go into read-only mode, and then you can buy one. Additional instructions can be found here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Once complete if you want to delete the account altogether you can do so by following the prompts at https://my.1password.com/support

Ben

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

Thank you for sticking with me on this. I deleted the account from the app and on the web site, at which time I did see the read only button. From there it was simple. Thanks again.

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Shoot. I have a problem though. I can't add the 1Password extension for Safari. On the web site it says it's "included with 1Password 7". In safari, the extension is listed but it never loads. I don't know if that's a separate issue or a continuation of the same discussion. Either way, I'm at the same place where I started when I had 1Password 6... no Safari extension.

• @bvoyles

We're making progress. :) I'm sorry it hasn't been as straight forward or smooth of a transition as it should've been. Now that you're licensed, could you please try restarting the Mac to see if that kick-starts Safari into picking up our Safari App Extension?

Ben

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

Yes it just required a restart. I should have tried that first. Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, great! I'm glad that Safari loaded it for you after restarting. It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need us. :)

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

A related problem: My second iMac shows "read only" and I can't find out how to get it to realize that I have a license.

• @bvoyles

Have you tried double clicking on your license file on that Mac?

Ben

• bvoyles
    bvoyles
    Community Member

Thanks for your quick reply. The target iMac didn't have the license in 1Password, but I was able to find the license in the original iMac and was able to email that file to myself and then add it. All good. Thanks again.

• You're very welcome. Glad to hear that worked out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.