How to stop 1Password sign-in from popping up when I don't want it to?

When I open certain things or websites, the 1Password login pops up in front of it, and I have to close it. I don't want it opening unless I ask it to. How do I stop this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When I open some websites, the 1password login comes on and I have to close it. How do I stop it?

Comments

• If 1Password is locked, @jperwin, it's always going to offer to save anything you enter. After all, there are two options here – either you don't want to save on this site or you do. If you don't, the worst that happens is 1Password annoys you. If you do want to save and 1Password didn't offer, you could end up locked out of an account. Even if you've already saved this site in 1Password, it's still going to pop up while locked because your data is encrypted while locked and it simply doesn't know whether you need to save or not. Again, two options – you've already saved and it's going to annoy your or you didn't and it's potentially saving you from getting locked out of that account. Annoying you stinks, but it's far better than leaving you locked out of something important.

Now, if you know for sure how you never ever want to save on this site, you can exclude individual domains. When the save prompt pops up, unlock and click the arrow next to "Not Now" to select "Never autosave for this site":

Once you let 1Password know it doesn't need to save for a particular site, it will leave you alone. :+1:

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Thanks very much. Is it the same thing if it isn't asking me if I want to save something. It's just superimposing on top of whatever I open the log-in for 1Password, as if I had opened 1Password? I don't mind being asked if I want to save something. But this is asking me to either open 1Password or close out the 1Password log in before I can even use the site to begin with. Does that make any sense?

• If you're using the 1Password desktop app with the companion extension, it should only ever pop up if you've recently entered a username and password, @jperwin. If you're seeing 1Password under other circumstances either something is going wrong, or perhaps you're using 1Password X – that's a different browser extension that works without the desktop app so it behaves a bit differently. Could you perhaps snag a screenshot of the behavior you're seeing? On Windows, you can press Windows Key + Shift + S to take a screenshot and copy it to your clipboard. When you're sharing it, here, just press Ctrl + V to paste and it'll attach to your message. Make sure you don't include any personal or sensitive information in your screenshot, too. This is a public forum so anything you post here is visible to everyone and we don't want you getting any creepy e-mails or anything. :wink:

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Probably over my head, but I’ll get my son to help. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome! Let us know how it goes. and please let us know if there is anything we can do to help or if you have any other questions :)

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

I opened the website for my bank and the 1password log-in opened on top of it. I tried to take a screen shot, which I put on the desktop. I couldn't find a clipboard. I don't know if this thing above that I copied is it. Pressing Ctrl + V doesn't seem to help. It's on my desktop but when I drag it in I get the thing above.

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Woops, the photo came up when I posted it. Neat.

• Haha, you learn something new every day right, @jperwin? I hesitate to admit this, but I actually just learned that trick myself fairly recently. I always thought you had to paste into paint and save it, but lo and behold that's not always the case. Anyway, that is the extension asking to save your password for you and it's doing this because it's locked and doesn't know whether the password you entered is one it knows or one it doesn't. You can unlock and use the dropdown I shared above to exclude that site, but I hesitate somewhat to advise that.

You see, normally, you'll unlock 1Password before signing into a site because 1Password is what stores that password. You don't know it because it's all super strong and complicated so you need a hand from 1Password to sign in to begin with. You're clearly signing in via other means right now, which may be intentional, but better to make sure. Do you have the Login for this site saved in 1Password? Do you want to use 1Password to sign in to this site? Let me know and we can work things out better from there. :+1:

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

When I open a website, I usually get a message in the top right asking if I want to save the cite to 1password, but this is the 1password login opening up over the website. Is that different?

• What you typically see in the top right corner is likely your browser asking if you'd like to save your sign-in details in your browser. In way, what you're seeing when 1Password pops up is the same thing – this is our version of that little prompt you get from what looks like Chrome based on your screenshot. Without looking over your shoulder this is just my best guess, but I'd wager you've been having Chrome save your passwords to this point, at least on occasion, rather than 1Password itself.

Having browser saving turned generally creates confusion at best and a truly horrid experience at worst, so if I'm right about what's up it isn't any wonder you're having some struggles, but let's see if we can't sort things out a bit better and get things working as they should. Next time you see that prompt in the top right, grab a screenshot of it, just like you did before. This time, go ahead and open that screenshot in paint, though, and make sure it doesn't include any personal information. If my memory of Chrome's prompt is correct, it might include your e-mail address and we don't want that posted on a public forum. If it does show your e-mail address, use paint to draw a black line through it so we can't see it, then save it and drop it here. This will show me what you're seeing and allow me to confirm my suspicions. If I'm right, I can walk you through importing the passwords you've saved in Chrome into 1Password and turning off your browser's password manager so that it stops getting in the way. From there, we can talk about saving and filling with 1Password moving forward so you can get a better feel for how everything works. :chuffed:

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Thanks very much. I’ll get somebody to help me because I’m way over my head.

• I'm totally happy to help too, @jperwin. I know, we all have different levels of proficiency with computers and we can take things as slow as you need to. Heck, you put me in front of a Mac and I'm all but instantly clueless, so I'm quite familiar with feeling overwhelmed too. Do whatever makes you comfortable, of course, but my teammates and I are always here to help however we can. :chuffed:

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Ok. What's paint? What happens if I save the website to 1Password? I then have to open 1Password to get it? After turning off the browser's password manager -- you're right -- that's what it is -- will I still get the 1Password sign-in whenever I open a website?

• Ultimately, @jperwin, no. How 1Password works is that after you unlock it once so long as you're still using your computer, it will remain unlocked – it only locks when your computer is idle. You'll need to unlock the first time you fill a password for the day, but after that, a simple Ctrl + \ will fill that username and password for you. You'll see some save prompts at the beginning as things are getting saved to 1Password – just like you were with Chrome – but after they're all saved your workflow will look more like this:

1. Visit a website's sign-in page.
    2. Press Ctrl + \.
    3. Unlock 1Password if this is the first time you've used it that day.
    4. Boom – you're in!

After you've saved your passwords, you'll also stop seeing save prompts unless you sign into something new. Yes, 1Password would pop up if it was locked, but one goal with using 1Password is changing your passwords so they're much stronger. You won't be able to remember them, but 1Password will, so it becomes second nature to start your day by unlocking 1Password as you sign in to your first account that day. We've published a guide that walks you through this as well, if it helps:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

In addition to the above, you can also set 1Password to lock as infrequently as you like. It will lock every time you restart your PC, but if you really want to, you can set it to stay unlocked otherwise.

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

I'll try. Will let you know.

• Sounds great, @jperwin! I hope it helps and remember – you don't need to get things perfect right away. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to – that's why we're here. :chuffed:

• jperwin
    jperwin
    Community Member

Thanks much.

• :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.