Copy incomplete, but there are *more* items in the new vault than the old

Options
Calion
Calion
Community Member

I just downloaded 1Password 7, registered it with 1Password.com, and it offered to copy everything over to an online vault. Great! After several minutes, it failed with an error saying that some or all of the items may not have been copied. I took a look—and there are 31 more items in my new Vault than in my old one! What should I do?? How do I know if everything got copied over?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hey @Jim A Syler

When converting from a standalone vault to a membership vault any attachments are converted to Documents. Unlike attachments, Documents count as separate items. So there will be some discrepancy in item count between standalone and membership if you have any attachments/Documents.

How do I know if everything got copied over?

The only way to know for 100% certain that I can think of would be to check each item, but that likely isn't practical if you have any significant amount of data stored. If you check the item count for each category are you able to see any categories (other than Documents) where the item counts differ between the standalone vault and membership vault?

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Weird—why did it give an error, then?

To be safe I'd recommend checking each of the Documents to be sure they appear properly in the membership vault.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@Jim A Syler

Membership vault? Do you mean the Membership category? Except that none of my Documents are from that category.

No, sorry I wasn't more clear. I mean the vault within your 1Password.com membership account ("Personal"), as opposed to your standalone ("Primary") vault. I'd recommend checking the Document items in the Personal vault's Documents category.

Obviously I have to go figure out what Documents are.

They're like attachments, but more powerful and independent. You can read more here:

Save important files in 1Password

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jim A Syler: Ben just means view the files in your account's Documents to make sure they were all able to be imported. If, for example, some of the data in your original vault was unreadable, or damaged, that could result in some bad data being carried over to the account.

The "1Password Account Migration" tells other apps that you have already migrated that data, to avoid migrating it again and ending up with duplicates. It can be ignored. After all, once you have all your data in your account, the old vault is no longer needed and can be removed -- as mentioned in the migration guide. If all of your data is in your account, and you can access it there at 1Password.com in your browser, then setting up all your devices with only your account will result in you having the same data everywhere going forward.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But how would I know if one was missing?

@Jim A Syler: If, for example, you'd had a PDF of your tax return saved as an attachment in the local vault previously, and it is not in your Documents in your account now, then you'd know it's missing, and you could try going through backups to find an intact copy of it.

But unless I re-enable Dropbox sync, how will the other apps see that item?

They won't. It's only useful if you're syncing, and that's not something we have control over. But for those who are it can be helpful. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But that's rather my point. How do I find out what attachments I had previously? Is there a way to search for "items with attachments"?

@Jim A Syler: I really don't understand the question then, or the point you're trying to make. Do you not know what files you've saved in 1Password? I feel like the real question is whether or not you're missing something, and if you aren't then you're all set. Ben just suggested double-checking to be safe, since you said there was an error, but we don't know what that error was exactly, or the context, and do not have access to your data to be able to check for you.

So I should re-enable Dropbox sync? I have no problem with that, but there has been no indication whatsoever that I should. That's what's confusing.

I don't know. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I think we may be going down a rabbit hole here. Let's focus on what you're trying to achieve and work from there. Let me know. :)

• Ben
    Options

I'm trying to achieve whatever the intended function of upgrading to 1Password 7/online is. There seems to be a reason for putting the 1Password Account Migration item in my file. If to attain proper, intended behavior, I need to re-enable Dropbox sync, that should probably have been indicated at some point in the setup process. If not, there doesn't seem to be any reason to have that item in the first place.

Dropbox sync shouldn't be enabled. The item is created for people who do have it enabled. Unfortunately not everyone does as they should. :( The Primary vault should be deleted from all devices.

No. Why would I have a list in my head of every file I've saved in 1Password? I attach files to items in case they may come in handy, and then forget about them.

Great. I don't see any reason to believe anything is out of order here Jim. If you find otherwise please let us know and we can help troubleshoot.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Thanks Jim. I believe we're already having that conversation in another thread.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.