Time-based one time passwords (TOTP) failing

I've had one-time passwords generated by 1Password (1Password X on Firefox 69.0.1 in particular) fail for two different website recently. I'm beginning to wonder if this is 1Password's fault at this point. The first one failed on a Gitea server and then next on Vultr.com.

I understand TOTP systems are sensitive to clocks so there is a good chance I've misconfigured my system somehow. Let me know what information I can provide to help debug this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Fedora 31 Beta
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nfsmith
    nfsmith
    Community Member

Upon further investigation it would seem that every website with two-factor isn't working for me at the moment :/

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @nfsmith! I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with 2FA. The 2FA used by Google Authenticator, supported in 1Password and covered by RFC 6238 uses the current time when generating the code. If your computer's clock is off by a certain amount it can mess with generating the code the server is expecting. Most computers are meant to synchronise with a time server but it's not that uncommon for things to get stuck. I would try toggling the use of the time server to make sure it's correct. If I ever need to do this myself I tend to manually adjust the current time so I know it's clearly wrong (just by a couple of minutes) so I know for certain when it has corrected itself.

Another thing you can try is visiting https://time.is/ and ensuring the time on your machine matches what you see there. Let me know what you find out!

• nfsmith
    nfsmith
    Community Member

Tada! System time had drifted 2 minutes out and I had time sync turned off on my computer for some reason.

Thanks for the debugging tips to get me unstuck!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that did the trick! Have a great weekend. We're here if you need us. :)

This discussion has been closed.