Rename Private vault

Kromi
Kromi
Community Member

Hi, I would like to change the name of my Private vault, the one that was automatically created when I created my 1password.com account.

Details: I started using 1Password a long time with a Dropbox-synced vault, before I switched to the subscription plan a few months ago. After subsribing I have still used the old Dropbox-synced vault until today. Because I didn't want to use the Private vault, I added " (don't use)" to its name to avoid accidently adding passwords to it. For the life of me, I can't remember how I did that, but all apps I use (Mac, Windows, iOS) show the vault as "Private (don't use)". Now I have imported all my data from the Dropbox-synced vault to 1password.com and want to get rid of the " (don't use)". So, how can I rename (or delete) this vault?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1903
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @Kromi.

I'm almost sure that we can't change the Private vault name. As per this thread, I quote:

@iCoco - no. That option is not currently available, as the Private vault is one of the default vaults in a 1password.com setup which cannot be edited.

Now, it's very strange that it has taken the name from your previously name vault. Have you tried going to Home > Manage Vault **(the gear icon under the vault card) > **Edit Details?

As I'm not a 1Pass team member, this is as far as I can help you, so definitely wait for a response from them.

Have a great day!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Kromi: I think there just might be some confusion. The Personal/Private vault in a 1Password account cannot be changed/removed. So I think you may just have an old local vault still int he app. What do you see when you sign into your account on 1Password.com in your browser?

• Kromi
    Kromi
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@brenty On 1password.com/home I see my vault boxes: "All Vaults", "Private", and six more that I have created yesterday. In the "Private" vault box there's also the text "Your default vault for storing items." If I click on the "Manage Vault" button in the "Private" vault box, and then on "Edit Details", I get no details to edit. Just as you said, I can't rename or delete it.
    In the 1Password 7 app, I see the same vaults as on 1password.com, extept for one: Instead of "Private" there's a "Personal (don't use)" vault. These two are actually the same: On 1password.com I just copied an entry from one vault to "Private". A second later that same entry appeard in the "Personal (don't use)" vault in the app.

To make things more confusing: My old local Dropbox-synced vault (which I have removed from all 1Password apps on all devices yesterday) was called "Private".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Kromi: Ah gotcha. That makes sense. If you'd named your local vault syncing with Dropbox "Private" that would certainly cause some confusion with the "Private" vault which is built into your 1Password account. Just to clarify, it sounds like you were able to remove the old vault, so you're just using the account everywhere now. Is that correct? If so, you should be good to go. But if there's anything I can help with, let me know. :)

• Kromi
    Kromi
    Community Member

@brenty Actually there is something: I want to get rid of the " (don't use)" suffix, hence my initial question. On 1password.com everything looks great. But in all 1Password apps (on macOS, iOS, Windows) the private vault appears as "Personal (don't use)". How can I change that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Kromi: That's a really good question. To clarify, are you seeing that in all of the apps? Do you only have them setup with your 1Password account now? If so, I'm afraid I'm not sure how you'd change it now, or how you managed to in the first place. Maybe we had a bug with that in the past, though I don't remember anything like that. Do you recall how/where/when you did that?

• Kromi
    Kromi
    Community Member

@brenty Yes, I see the same in all apps. And yes, I have removed the old local vault from all apps now. Unfortunately I don't remember how I changed that. I'm pretty sure I did it in either the Mac app or the iOS app, though. It's hard to tell when I did it, a few months ago I guess.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@Kromi: Thanks! That does start to ring a bell. Can you shoot me an email as support@1password.com with a link to this discussion and a diagnostics report from the Mac? I'll do some digging and see if I can figure this out.

ref: EDV-16729-174

• Kromi
    Kromi
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

@brenty Done. Hope that helps.

ref: EDV-16729-174

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Fingers crossed! I'll get back to you via email shortly. Thank you. :)

• colettejohndrow
    colettejohndrow
    Community Member

Hello there. I'm having a similar situation. I have 3 vaults, one that is my default vault which was automatically named "Personal" by 1Password when I set it up. The other two vaults I added manually and have assigned different names to each of them. From your previous discussion threads, it sounds like I cannot rename the "Personal" (default) vault. In order to do so, I would have to add another vault, name it, and then move all the items from my "Personal" (default) vault over to the new vault. Is this correct? If so, after transfering all the information to the new vault, would I then be able to delete the information located on the "Personal" (default) vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@colettejohndrow: Yes, you could do that. I'd just add that the default Personal vault ("Private" in family/team accounts) cannot be deleted. It's built into the account.

• ole19
    ole19
    Community Member

Hi @brenty I'm in exactly the same situation as Kromi. Were you able to help back in June? Should I write to your support as well?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ole19: Can you clarify? As I mentioned above,

The Personal/Private vault in a 1Password account cannot be changed/removed. So I think you may just have an old local vault still int he app.

Are you trying to change the name of a vault, or are you trying to remove one? And which?

• ole19
    ole19
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply @brenty. Let me clarify:

On my Mac, I've been using 1Password 7 with Dropbox sync for personal stuff since many years. No issues here.

For work, I bought an additional 1Password subscription last year. On the My 1Password website, the name of the primary vault is "Private". That's fine.

When adding the subscription to the 1Password app on my Mac, the name of the primary vault shows as "Company_Name".

I would like to change the displayed name, because I don't work at that company anymore :-)

I remember changing it to "Company_Name" at some point, but I don't remember where and cannot find a setting that would allow changing the displayed name. Removing and re-adding the subscription account in the app doesn't help either.

Is there anything you (or I) can do to change the displayed name of the vault in the Mac app?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ole19:

You can change your account name on 1Password.com in a browser, under the Settings menu. The account name cannot be changed in the app ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ole19: Ana is right if you're using a team or family account:

https://start.1password.com/settings

But in case it helps you or anyone else, if you're using an individual account, it will be on your Profile page instead:

https://start.1password.com/profile

Cheers! :)

• ole19
    ole19
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Hi @ag_ana and @brenty, thanks for your advice.

My account name matches my real name. My question was about the name of my primary vault, which is nowhere to be seen on the profile page :-)

Please compare a screenshot from the Web app

and 1Password 7 on my Mac

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ole19:

My question was about the name of my primary vault, which is nowhere to be seen on the profile page :-)

You cannot see this vault online because it's stored on Dropbox, not on 1Password.com ;) Similar to the Private vault, your Primary vault cannot be renamed either.

• ole19
    ole19
    Community Member

@ag_ana The vault I am talking about (that's marked by the red arrow) is stored on Agilebits servers because it is from a paid subscription. I renamed it to COMPANY_NAME some time ago this year, so obviously it was possible to change the name. It seems to be some kind of display name and not the real vault name, because it shows up differently in the Web app and the Mac app. Thank you for your effort to help out, though :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

@ole19: Nope. The Primary (Primär) vault is a local vault stored only on the device. You're syncing it using Dropbox. It is completely separate from any 1Password membership account. If you need any data in that, you should copy it to a vault that is part of your 1Password membership account -- either the default Private vault, or another you create there. The Private vault in your account has only 4 items right now, based on your above screenshot. Let's focus on that since that's the more pressing issue. :)

• ole19
    ole19
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

I just kept the Primary vault selected when taking the screenshot. My question is about the vault from the subscription, which is of course located in the section above the vaults synced via Dropbox. I should have left these out of the screenshot, they seem to cause a lot of confusion. I'm sorry for that.

Edit:
    My screenshots didn't really help at all, but only caused confusion, sorry.
    So the issue at hand is: The Private vault from my subscription shows up with a different (custom) name in the Mac app. How can I rename it there?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ole19: No worries. I'm sorry for my part in this confusion as well! So, just to clarify, you somehow changed the name of your 1Password membership account's Private vault in 1Password for Mac, and now you want to change it back again? If that's correct, please shoot me an email at support+forum@1password.com and we'll go from there.

• ole19
    ole19
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, thanks again for your comment. I just sent you an email referring to this thread. Looking forward to your answer :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2019

Great! I'll get back to you there shortly. :)

ref: FSK-34549-243, dev/apple/issues#1695

• ole19
    ole19
    Community Member

For future reference: My issue resulted from a bug in a previous version and brenty was able to help me out. Thanks again :-)

• On behalf of brenty you're very welcome. :)

Ben

• fscully
    fscully
    Community Member

Hello there. I'm having the same issue where the vault is showing up as a different name on my Mac Client "Inbox Vault" vs Portal "Private". It seems this may be a bug a listed above however I can't seem to find a fix to this so the names would both be called "Private" as intended. "Inbox Vault" isn't the name I would like. Private (default for everyone) would defiantly be preferred. Everything is going through the 1Password Online Account and no dropbox, iCloud, or Local vaults. Any help would be very appreciated

• Hi @fscully

Do you have a copy of your Emergency Kit handy? If not, I'd recommend printing one:

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

Once you've got one I'd recommend using the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data in 1Password for Mac to reset the app. Then use the Emergency Kit to sign back into your account.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• leave1password
    leave1password
    Community Member

I tried:

Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data

on MacOS and my "private" vault did not change back to "Private," instead it is stuck on "Do Not Use" which apparently I was able to name it as such when I was resisting being forced to use 1password cloud. I have relented due to chrome extension no longer working. Please advise how I can change it.

This discussion has been closed.