Removed one vault from main family vault, how do we restore logins from that?

Joakim
Joakim
Community Member

Hi,
I've just started with and setting up family 1password, so far it has not been as smooth as I've hoped. I had created a new sub vault for my son and had moved over some of his passwords there. All good, he got access to those passwords after some struggle with initial set up of 1password on his iPhone, turns out the pre-populated email+master key gets clobbered when initial apple keychain is used. Log in to my.1password website work better.

Anyway the real issue I ran into was the from our family account in 1password app on mac OS, I selected Vault->Manage Access to xxx vault and saw that the Main family vault and our sons was accessible. I didn't want our family to be accessible from my son's vault so unticked the family and pressed confirm. It looks like that removed our son's vault from the family account including all those passwords. I believe they are still available and he can see them from his login.

I'm not sure if this make any sense but ultimately I want to undo that vault that got removed from our family master vault, is that possible?

Sincerely

Joakim

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password
Referrer: forum-search:vault

Comments

• Joakim
    Joakim
    Community Member

Ok, I think I finally found a way to get the "lost vault" back....

Under my.1password.com family account, if you select the people/person associated with the "lost vault" then select the person and find you way to the Vault Details view then the Manage button shows up, click that and you get the interface up where you can add main family vault to access/see the removed "vault". I couldn't find a way to do this in the 1password mac os app only from website.

I don't think these vault operations are very intuitive and it would help with better screen information of what you're about to do when you confirm choices, a restore alternative would be a great thing to have after you realize you've lost a whole vault of passwords.

• Hi, @Joakim.

Thanks for the feedback! It sounds like what you did was remove yourself from your son's vault at first, which removed it from 1Password on your Mac. Then you went and found the vault on 1Password.com (because as a family organizer you still are able to manage the vaults) and added yourself back as someone who can view the vault, which added the vault back to the Mac app.

You're right that there's no way to add back a vault like that from the Mac app after you've removed yourself from it. In general the Mac app does not have as many administrative abilities as 1Password.com, so the solution you found appears to be the correct one. I say "appears" because I'm going off what you wrote, not any inside information about your account.

I'm sorry for the confusion there. I'll pass your feedback on to my team. :)

• Joakim
    Joakim
    Community Member

Hi Rob,
    Yes what you describe is pretty much what happened. Thanks for your reply :)
    Cheers,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that Rob was able to help shed some light on things. We'll continue to work on 1Password, and one of our goals is to make more stuff like that available in the apps. And of course we're here if you need us. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.