Change from v6 to v7

I recently realised that my Safari extension had disappeared from my Safari browser. I down loaded a new extension, but the has brought with it a trial version of 1Password 7. I have been very happy with the one time purchase version 6 that I was using as a smile user. I use it on my iPhone 8 Plus and my iPad Pro too.
It seems that the 1Password will bring a cost with it. It also wants to convert my vault data and store it in another file. I have some questions. How much will a one off purchase cost in £s? Will this effect my App use? If I save items on the old version for the time being will they update in 1Password 7 while I decide? Will I have to change the vault location on the Apps and how will I do this?

1Password Version: Old 6.8.8 New 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 13.0.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @connorchris

It sounds like you may have installed 1Password 7 from the Mac App Store by using the "more extensions" button in Safari. 1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you'd prefer a license you can select the "need a license? We have those too" option from the welcome screen. You'd need to uninstall the Mac App Store version and install the version from our site before that would be an option. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future.

Will this effect my App use?

Yes.

If I save items on the old version for the time being will they update in 1Password 7 while I decide?

No they would not, if your data has already been imported into v7. 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 store their data separately. Having both installed at the same time is not supported, as they will conflict.

Will I have to change the vault location on the Apps and how will I do this?

You likely will but the exact details will vary greatly depending on how you choose to move forward (i.e. license vs membership). The app will walk you through it either way. Please let me know once you've decided if you need help.

Ben

• connorchris
    connorchris
    Community Member

Thanks for your help. I have removed 1Password 7. I do not use the App enough to make an upgrade viable at present. I will review as and when any problems occur with my use of V6

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank for the update @connorchris! We recommend keeping 1Password always updated if possible, since it's security software, but we will be here if you have any questions :)

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.