1Password has stopped working

Suddenly when I go to the 1password icon on Chrome, it will no longer login for a site.

Nor does it work if I open 1password and click "Open and Fill"

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @MrLucky

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with filling in Chrome. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot that. Could you please let me know:

1. Which version of the 1Password extension you have in Chrome
    2. Which version of Chrome you have

Additionally, have you tried restarting your Mac since these problems began?

Thanks!

Ben

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

The problemms began oddly enough when I updated Safari. 1Password disappered from that and when I reinstalled the safri extension I seemed to have two versions of 1password on my mac, 6 and 7 but I didn't want 7 as it was aksing me to subscribe or something.

But now the extension on Chrome (which I didn't touch) now seems to open that version instead of the actual one I bought. And nothing works. I have no idea what version the Chrome extension is I haven't updated it for years. It was all working now it isn't

• @MrLucky

I seemed to have two versions of 1password on my mac, 6 and 7 but I didn't want 7 as it was aksing me to subscribe or something.

Having two different versions of 1Password installed will definitely cause trouble with the extensions.

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Reverting to version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, the upcoming Safari 13 will be using an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

But now the extension on Chrome (which I didn't touch) now seems to open that version

Correct; it is going to connect to the newest version installed.

I have no idea what version the Chrome extension is I haven't updated it for years

It is likely Chrome has been keeping it updated automatically for you. You can check the version number in Chrome > Settings > Extensions (which can also be accessed by navigating to chrome://extensions/ as if it were a website).

Please let me know how you'd like to proceed and then we can troubleshoot from there based on the path you choose.

Ben

• MrLucky
    MrLucky
    Community Member

Yes, but I didn't actually install or ask for this other version of 1password on my Mac- all i did was update Safari and reinstall its extension. When I did that there was no mention of a new version of 1Password on my Mac that I don't want - seeing as I paid for a licence for version 6 which is working fine, why would I want to update to pay monthly for a licence I originally bought as a one off licence?

So why has updating safari caused these issues with Chrome, that was all fine before?

• So why has updating safari caused these issues with Chrome, that was all fine before?

I don't think updating Safari has anything to do with it. Having two copies of 1Password installed seems to be the problem, not Safari.

Yes, but I didn't actually install or ask for this other version of 1password on my Mac-

I'm not sure what to say. It doesn't have the ability to install itself. :)

that I don't want - seeing as I paid for a licence for version 6 which is working fine, why would I want to update to pay monthly for a licence I originally bought as a one off licence?

As I mentioned above for a number of reasons we can't recommend using older versions of software. Aside from the negative consequences of using an older version (e.g. not being able to use 1Password with Safari), there are a number of benefits to using the new one:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever | 1Password

Additionally there are the benefits of membership to be considered:

Please let me know what you decide so we can help you sort out the issue with Chrome. :+1:

Ben

• DanDawson
    DanDawson
    Community Member

I had the same experience... Chrome is my primary browser and I don't use Safari hardly ever, but I launched it to test something and 1Password extension asked for an update... I'm like "sure, whatever" and it started the update...

Then boom, 1Password 7 was installed so now I have both 6 and 7 both installed. The 1Password version in Chrome automatically upgraded (without my permission) and the Chrome plugin now no longer has the "Open and fill" capability, everything is different and at this point I can't say that it is for the better. I'm not super impressed by the new version from what I've seen thus far.

I likely will roll back to Version 6 just to get things working. I have really enjoyed 1Password (customer since 2012) and recommend it regularly to my customers, but since I like to avoid new monthly subscriptions... I will likely take this opportunity to evaluate the competition and their pricing models prior to considering a 1Password subscription.

I was just surprised that by updating the Chrome extension that it actually installed the full 1Password 7 application and hijacked my Chrome extension. Not expected behavior from my perspective.

Side question: Is "Open and Fill" really gone in 1Password 7?

• @DanDawson

I had the same experience... Chrome is my primary browser and I don't use Safari hardly ever, but I launched it to test something and 1Password extension asked for an update... I'm like "sure, whatever" and it started the update...

Then boom, 1Password 7 was installed so now I have both 6 and 7 both installed. The 1Password version in Chrome automatically upgraded (without my permission) and the Chrome plugin now no longer has the "Open and fill" capability, everything is different and at this point I can't say that it is for the better. I'm not super impressed by the new version from what I've seen thus far.

Do you mean this prompt?

That is the only prompt I can think of within the extension itself. It does say that it is about 1Password 7.

Side question: Is "Open and Fill" really gone in 1Password 7?

No, it is still there. Could you please confirm which version of the extension you have installed in Chrome? If it is 4.7.5.90 that is the latest. Having two versions of 1Password installed can certainly cause conflicts though. When v7 is installed it is supposed to zip up 1Password 6. Did that not happen for you?

I likely will roll back to Version 6 just to get things working.

We can't recommend using an older version. 1Password 6 has been retired and is no longer being updated. As a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password. If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. Reverting to version 6 should be considered a temporary measure. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

I have really enjoyed 1Password (customer since 2012) and recommend it regularly to my customers, but since I like to avoid new monthly subscriptions... I will likely take this opportunity to evaluate the competition and their pricing models prior to considering a 1Password subscription.

I'm glad to hear it. I hope you find that 1Password is still the right tool for you and that it offers good value for the price. That said, ultimately, we want customers to use 1Password because they're happy with it, not because they feel 'locked in.' I hope whichever way you go you're able to find a solution that you're both confident in and comfortable with.

I was just surprised that by updating the Chrome extension that it actually installed the full 1Password 7 application and hijacked my Chrome extension. Not expected behavior from my perspective.

I'm sorry this was your experience. As far as I'm aware the only "prompt" that appears in the extension when 1Password 6 is installed is the only I posted above, which does indicate that it is referring to 1Password 7.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Ben

• DanDawson
    DanDawson
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, so I think we can turn this in to a bug report unless it is expected behavior. Here is the story and I tested it again this morning and confirmed it to be the case:

• I was running 1Password 6 with extensions set up in Chrome and Safari
    • Safari asked for an update of the 1Password extension, I confess I probably didn't read or understand the details that it was an upgrade to 1Password 7, not just an update to 1Password 6. My bad, but let's continue.
    • Installing the 1Password 7 Extension for Safari actually installs the full 1Password 7 application.
    • The surprising part was that it replaced my Chrome 1Password 6 Extension automatically (confirmed again this morning when I reverted back to 6, re-installed the 7 extension in Safari, and then checked Chrome again.
    • Then of course it told me my account was locked since I don't have an active subscription so my passwords were read only.

In addition, you mentioned that 1Password 6 should have been zipped upon 1Password 7 installation, it was not, I checked my Applications folder and they are both sitting there:

So the confusing or unexpected points are:

• Installing the updated Safari extension does not just install an updated Safari extension, it installs the full 1Password 7 Application. (I understand the 7 Extension won't work without the 7 application)
    • With the Safari Extension update request, it wasn't clear as a user that a subscription would then be required at the point of update/upgrade.
    • Installing the updated extension automatically hijacks the extension in Chrome
    • The installation of 7 did not zip or remove the installation of 6, thus both were active at the same time causing confusion and conflicts.
  • Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

Thank you for the feedback @DanDawson. I'll try to address each of these points:

Installing the updated Safari extension does not just install an updated Safari extension, it installs the full 1Password 7 Application. (I understand the 7 Extension won't work without the 7 application)

Correct; this is how all Safari extensions work now. Apple refers to them as "Safari App Extensions" (SAE). While these types of extensions have existed for a while they are at this point mandatory. There isn't really a distinction between the app and the extension anymore. As far as Safari is concerned they are one in the same. Or, perhaps more accurately, the extension is within the app.

If it helps, this is an image illustrating the point that Apple provides to developers:

With the Safari Extension update request, it wasn't clear as a user that a subscription would then be required at the point of update/upgrade.

In the interest of transparency: a subscription isn't required. It is absolutely the recommended way forward, and the only way we are advertising 1Password. 1Password 7 requires either a 1Password membership (subscription) or separate 1Password 7 for Mac license purchase. 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store is subscription-only. Licenses are available within 1Password 7 when downloaded from our website for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

If you'd prefer a license you can select the "need a license? We have those too" option from the welcome screen. A 1Password 7 for Mac license, which allows one person to use 1Password 7 on all of their compatible Macs, is normally $65 USD + tax. They are currently (as of writing) on sale for a limited time for $50 USD + tax. That promotion may end at any time now. It was originally planned to run for a couple of weeks, and has now extended for quite some time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends at any point in the near future.

Installing the updated extension automatically hijacks the extension in Chrome

The extensions should talk to whichever version of 1Password is the latest, which is one reason why we do not support having multiple versions of 1Password installed on a single computer. They will conflict.

The installation of 7 did not zip or remove the installation of 6, thus both were active at the same time causing confusion and conflicts.

This may be a bug. As far as I'm aware it should still be doing that. I will follow up with the development team and see if anything has changed in this regard. If that is indeed still the expectation I'll file a bug report.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.