Problems logging into Public Library/Lynda.com membership

Options
Nekoninda
Nekoninda
Community Member
edited September 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm not sure how to get help with a specific website, but I'll see if anyone can help me here. I'm trying to log into Lynda.com through my Albuquerque and Bernalillo County Library system. Yes, I know that Lynda.com is now LinkedIn Learning, but on the Library system, and associated login pages, it is still labeled Lynda.com. I don't think that is relevant to the login problem. The login page is https://www.lynda.com/portal/Patron?org=cabq.gov&triedlogout=true. I created a new login in 1Password for this page. When I then navigated to this page, and entered my library card number and PIN, and hit Enter, I expected 1Password to offer to update my login, but it did not. Having just typed in the needed data manually, the page did log me into the Library's Linda.com, as I desired, taking me to a second page to enter my name and email address, which I also did.

I then logged out, and tried to log in to the same page using 1Password. Typing 'Lyn' into 1Password and hitting return took me to the proper Library/Lynda.com login page, where it filled the Library Card Number field with my email address, and put nothing in the PIN number field. So that didn't work. I edited my 1Password login, and added the Library Card Number and PIN to the respective fields in the 'Web Form Details'. 1Password shows four 'form details' for this page, including Library Card Number, PIN, Email Address, and Password. I filled those in. However, 1Password also has two fields at the top of the login data screen: 'username', which it had filled with my email address, and 'password', which was empty. For my next test of the logging in process, I left those as they were. I saved the Web Form Details as just described, saved the edited 1Password login, and again tried to use 1Password to log in. In spite of having entered and saved the Web Form Details, 1Password seems to have ignored them. It again entered my email address in the Library Card Number field, and nothing in the PIN field. Next, I edited the 1Password login, removing my email address from the Username field. I couldn't see any way to edit the field names for Username and Password in my 1Password login, nor the relationship of those fields to the fields on the web page.

I saved the edits, and tried one more time to get 1Password to log me in. It failed, leaving both fields blank on the login page. So it seems to me that 1Password is ignoring the data that I entered in the Web Form Details, and is ignoring the field names on the web page. Finally, I entered my library card number into 1Password's Username field, and my PIN into 1Password's password field. The 1Password login now works for this first login page, so that is a step forward. But I have to enter the data manually on the next page, where Lynda.com asks me for my name and email address. On the first page, 1Password seems to be ignoring the field names that the Library login page displays, and assigning its Username field data to the first field on the web page, and assigning its Password field data to the second field on the web page.

Is this the behavior that you would expect? It's working, although what I see in my 1Password login contradicts the field names that the web page shows me. What still isn't working is a way to handle the next page of the login process. Is there a way to get my 1Password login to hold the data needed for the second login page, so that I don't have to type it in when Lynda.com asks for it?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @Nekoninda
    I have tested this website, but since I don't actually have an account I could only test the first page of the library card number and pin. I was able to autofill them both correctly, so here is what I want you to try:

1. Open the 1Password app and delete the current login you have for this website.
    2. Go to the login page https://www.lynda.com/portal/Patron?org=cabq.gov&triedlogout=true
    3. Manually fill in your library card number and pin, but do not proceed to the next page.
    4. Right click the pin number field and select "1Password" from the menu to bring up the 1Password window.
    5. Click the grey gear icon on the top right of the 1Password window and select "New Login". Save it and confirm.
    6. Refresh the page and try to autofill, see if it autofills both fields correctly, then proceed to the next page.
    7. In the next page, manually fill in your email and name, then right click again on one of the fields, select 1Password, click the grey gear icon and select "New Login". This time it will also give you the option to update an existing login - update the existing login, refresh the page and see if it works.

If that doesn't work and step 7 messes up the login, I suggest you try to save the first page and the second page as separate logins instead of updating the existing login. By the way, just for general knowledge, when you edit the web form details there is a little key icon and a little person figure icon next to some of the fields, which tells 1Password which field is the username and which one is the password (and those are the ones that show up at the top of the login where you see the username and password fields). You can change these little icons next to each field in the web form details and tell 1Password which field is which. Since there is no actual password field in this login it might be problematic, but my best bet would be to set the pin code field as the password.

This discussion has been closed.