Windows Hello broken [Fixed in Windows 10 19025 Insider update]

kop48
kop48
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

As you can see, the Windows Hello options are always disabled, even though they work fine on the lock screen. Is this a known issue? I'm on the Windows Insider Fast 18995 build.

1Password Version: 7.3.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kop48,

Can you tell me if it is running Insider on the actual hardware you're using (what is the hardware spec) or a virtual machine?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT - it's running on actual hardware.

• Hi @kop48,

What kind of bio-metric system is it; fingerprint, facial, or what?

We aren't able to reproduce this with the latest Release Preview Insiders build on our Surfaces, so it suggests something is off with the latest Fast Ring.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT Face using Logitech Brio

• Hi @kop48,

That's an external device tho. Do you have an internal biometric system you can test 1Password with?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

I can try on my Surface Laptop, tho this should be irrelevant from the app's perspective - if Hello is available at the system level, then the app can use it without knowing what kind of gesture is being used to unlock the container.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT - just tried this on my Surface Laptop with internal Face IR camera and it's running into the same issue.

• Hi @kop48,

if Hello is available at the system level, then the app can use it without knowing what kind of gesture is being used to unlock the container.

Exactly, it's a simple Windows call we're making, there is nothing else we can customize or control. We haven't changed anything with Hello in a few years, so the issue is with Windows itself.

But the problem is, we cannot reproduce this on our own machines and we only got a few reports of this not working, all on Insider builds. As we can't reproduce this yet, we cannot forward this information to Microsoft as we have nothing actionable to share.

The best thing you can do for now is file a bug report with Microsoft via their Feedback Hub on the affected machines.

just tried this on my Surface Laptop with internal Face IR camera and it's running into the same issue.

The laptop is with Insider Fast Ring builds?

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@MikeT I work for Microsoft, so will dig into this with the Hello team :)

• @kop48 if you can pass to Hello team, it's started to report UserConsentVerificationResult.DeviceNotPresent from UserConsentVerifier.CheckAvailabilityAsync and IUserConsentVerifierInterop.RequestVerificationForWindowAsync methods. Thanks!

• And they can get in touch with us at support+windows@1Password.com.

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member

Does anyone have any progress to report on this?

I'm running Windows Insider 19018, and Windows Hello is disabled in 1Password Version 7.3.712, despite working perfectly for logging in to Windows.

• kop48
    kop48
    Community Member

@Thack - the fix is making its way through our internal branches. I'll let you know once it makes it to the external branch and I can confirm that it's fixed. :)

• Thack
    Thack
    Community Member

Fantastic, thank you!!

• That's great to hear, thanks for keeping us informed! @kop48.

• This has been fixed in today's 19025 build update.

This discussion has been closed.