How do I login into 1Password 7 for Mac app as an invided, confirmed family guest?

Options
M_R
M_R
Community Member

Hi, I have been using 1Password for some years and I am exploring 1Password 7 with a cloud account. As part of the trial, I'd like to test the family setup. I invited my spouse as a (family) guest, got it confirmed, and have a new 1Password cloud account open for my spouse. My spouse can login into the cloud account. But I can't work out how my spouse can login into the !Password 7 for Mac app. I can only login with my Family membership credentials (i.e. using my own master password) but my spouse can't login with her credentials. I chose the guest option because I am supposed to have access to all family passwords (in a kind of administrator role) and I understand that this the option to achieve this functionality. Thanks

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password account
Referrer: forum-search:How to login to a guest family account in 1Password 7 for Mac?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @M_R! Welcome to the forum!

my spouse can't login with her credentials.

What is the error message that your spouse is getting when trying to login to her account in the 1Password for Mac app?

• M_R
    M_R
    Community Member
    Options

Hi ag_ana. No, there is no error message. If she enters her master password to unlock the app then the text entry box 'shakes' indicating invalid input. The 1Password 7 app has only my account in it and the message I get when I try to add her account is that no Family account can be added. If I remove my account from the app then the "+" sign to add new accounts to the app is not responsive.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@M_R:

If she enters her master password to unlock the app then the text entry box 'shakes' indicating invalid input. The 1Password 7 app has only my account in it and the message I get when I try to add her account is that no Family account can be added.

This is the reason why you are seeing this. You need to add her account to the app, otherwise the app will unlock with your Master Password.

Because you can only add a single account from a Families Membership to the 1Password app, the app doesn't allow you to use a second account in the same app. You need to add your account to your 1Password app, and her guest account to her 1Password app on her device to be able to use them separately.

In other words, you need two devices: one with your account and one with hers, and things will work the way you wish :)

• M_R
    M_R
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your guidance. I was attempting to do just that, but for some reason, after removing my account from the app list (in Preferences), I could not add my wife's account because the "+" button was unresponsive (greyed out). I restarted the Mac, and that fixed the problem with the "+" button.

I would like to clarify something in your comments, please. Are you saying that there can only be one 1Password app user on a multi-user device (e.g. a Mac with multiple user accounts)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Are you saying that there can only be one 1Password app user on a multi-user device (e.g. a Mac with multiple user accounts)?

@M_R: There can be more than one copy of 1Password, of course, but we recommend one since otherwise you can run into issues (macOS launching the wrong one, etc.) It's no problem to have multiple users have their own 1Password setup in their own separate macOS user accounts though. That's how Apple's designed it.

Anyway, glad to hear that all is well. We're here if you need us. :)

• M_R
    M_R
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you again for a quick follow up and further clarification - the reply speed you provide is second to none!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@M_R, on behalf of brenty, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• M_R
    M_R
    Community Member
    Options

As it turns out, I do have a follow-up issue. There is still something not right with my set-up. 1Password 7 app on my wife's Mac does not accept her master password (again), but it does accept my master password, which is not what we intended. When I login into 1Password 7 app on my wife's Mac, I see her vault, and I don't see the Personal (i.e. my) vault. In Preferences, under the Accounts tab, I can see our Family account with my wife's sign-in details. I have restarted the Mac a few times just in case.

So the bottom line is that my wife needs to sign in into 1Password 7 app using my master password to access her vault. I assume that's not the way the Family guest set up should work.

To complete the specification of my current set-up - just in case this is relevant - I still have the Primary vault associated with 1Password 6 with Dropbox sync. The reason for that is that I am in the 1Password 7 trial mode.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@M_R:

I still have the Primary vault associated with 1Password 6 with Dropbox sync.

This is probably why you are seeing this. But before we look at that: is your wife able to login to her 1Password Families account in a browser?

• M_R
    M_R
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, and yes, you are right. I unselected the 'allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts' in the Preferences / Advanced, and this fixed the master password issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Glad Ana was able to help. Indeed, with the old vault gone the Master Password you setup for your 1Password account will be used to unlock the app going forward. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.