Chrome extension does not allow me to type in master password?

When I want to login to the 1Password Chrome browser extension, I click the icon for the extension and the popup box opens up, but it does not respond when I start typing my master password. Either nothing at all gets entered, or sometimes some (but not all) characters of my master password will be entered after a long delay. Frustrating.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @klukoff! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please let us know what version of Chrome this is happening with?

Thank you!

• klukoff
    klukoff
    Community Member

Chrome Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@klukoff:

Thank you for the confirmation. I cannot reproduce this here on the same version of Chrome and 1Password X. The only difference I see is that I am on macOS 10.14.6 while you are a couple of updates behind, although I am not sure if this can have any impact to this.

Does this issue happen regularly for you, every single time? And does it persist after a reboot?

• Smortions
    Smortions
    Community Member

I also have this problem...I cannot type anything into the 1PW Chrome Extension box when I click on the icon, i.e. cannot enter Master Password.

Chrome = 77.0.3865.90

1PW extension = 1.16.2

Mac OS = 10.14.6

Thanks,

Paul

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @Smortions and @klukoff – are either of you using an external monitor by chance? There's currently a bug in Chromium that causes some lag in extensions that have pop-ups while using an external display. If you're curious about the issue, you can check it out here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=971701

The good news is that your Master Password is being typed even though you can't see it. Typing your Master Password and pressing enter allows you to sign in or you can always move the browser window over to your primary display. Let me know how that works for you!

• klukoff
    klukoff
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana and @kaitlyn - Thank you for your help and replies.

A couple of updates:

• After a couple of weeks of not working, it's working again for me on my home setup. Yay! Hopefully it remains this way.
    • Yes, I am using an external monitor both at home and at work--so maybe it's the Chromium issue you pointed to? If it's still not working at work, I'll test whether the issue is limited to browser windows in the external monitor, or whether it also occurs on my laptop screen.
    • I found that my Master Password is sometimes being typed, despite not being visible. Sometimes I can type it all in, nothing shows up, but I hit enter and it lets me in. However, sometimes this fails. I think the rub is this: I found that sometimes, after a lag, it will display the black bullet points that stand-in for characters in my password, but it's clear that it only started accepting my input late. That is, say my password is 14 characters; only 6 black bullet points will show up, it missed the first 8 because of the lag, and then it won't unlock when I hit enter. So this ends up being a pretty frustrating workaround that only sometimes works!
  • kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@klukoff – Thanks for the additional details! I'm glad to hear it's working for you on your home setup again, although I'm unsure how that's the case since the Chromium bug hasn't been squashed yet as far as I know. Please do try moving your browser to your primary display on your laptop and let me know if the lag goes away. That should tell us if it's the same bug we're dealing with.

• klukoff
    klukoff
    Community Member

The same error is still present on my work setup. I tested and it is an issue with the primary vs. external monitor. It works fine when I type in my password on my primary display, but does not respond when the browser window is in my external monitor... at least there's one reliable way of addressing this for now!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@klukoff – That's what I was afraid of! It does sound like what I'm experiencing with the Chromium bug as well. We've done what we can to help the Chromium team which included making a barebones extension with only a text field in a pop-up just to see if it happened there to. It did, so now we're in a bit of a bind waiting for Chromium to get the issue resolved. Like I mentioned, your Master Password should still be able to be typed in the field. As far as I'm aware, the lag only affects what you see and not the actual functionality. I'd have to play around with it a bit more to say that for certain, though.

• klukoff
    klukoff
    Community Member

Got it, thank you for the responses here and staying on top of this! Excellent customer support :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad that Kaitlyn and Ana were able to help you figure this out, and we're here if you need us. :chuffed:

• Smortions
    Smortions
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can confirm that this issue is only occurring on an external monitor and when I try to enter on the primary screen there is no issue.

So it would appear that this is a Chrome issue? I guess will just need to wait to see if a future release resolves the issue. At least I know the workaround for now.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

Paul

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@Smortions – You got it! 1Password X isn't the only extension that's affected by this Chromium bug, so we're crossing our fingers here that it gets resolved soon. Thanks for updating us. :)

• Wiplash
    Wiplash
    Community Member

Same here, I thought it was the 1Password extension but it was indeed the Chromium bug that affected things on my external monitor. Using Chrome 79.0.3945.88 on MacOS 10.15.2. Thanks for pointing it out, 1Password team!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

And thank you for sharing this confirmation with us! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.