How to import the Custom Field Title

Hi
is there a way to import the Custom Field Title/Name/Heading along with the actual Custom Field Data.
I have just started and have imported the logins, with user/password/website/notes, and also a couple custom fields.
How do I import the actual Name of this Custom field to all the items I imported.
At the moment the custom field data is there, but it is listed as "Field 6" and "Field 7", this is not very useful info.
I understand that this can be changed by editing the Field in each item, but I have over 600 items, this is not practical.
Any help would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:import

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @glenbellamy ,

Which version of 1Password are you using, and on which platform OS?

Are you using the Desktop apps?

• Hi @glenbellamy! We'd be happy to help out as well, and the info MrC mentioned above will help us know more about what to recommend. Also, what format or password manager are you importing from?

• glenbellamy
    glenbellamy
    Community Member

Hi
    thanks for the reply.
    I am currently in the trial stage, just evaluating etc, looks promising so am importing a bunch of stuff from Keepass (CSV).
    I am currently testing from a Mac but also have a Windows box if thats different. (I'm the IT guy, so yeah)
    I have installed the client (7.3.2). I have imported from CSV, seems pretty straight forward. But when I import custom fields, the name of the Field remains something boring like "Field 6" and "Field 7".
    Because I have a CSV, I find it super easy to bulk add fields to the items, but having the name of the fields remain unchanged makes it hard to share with staff, as they don't know what info "Field 7" should contain.

I know I can update the field on each item, but I have 600 items, thats not going to happen unless you want to do it for me ;-)

Thanks, look forward to any tips you have.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@glenbellamy ,

If you are using KeePass2, you can export as XML, and use the keepass2 converter in the converter suite . It will directly import all your items.

Alternatively, you can use the csv converter in the suite and just label the column with your specific label. It will place your data in a custom section with your label. This can be altered to your needs.

Let me know if you need more help.

• glenbellamy
    glenbellamy
    Community Member

What do you mean by "CSV Converter in the suite" ? I have seen no converter. I am using the Mac Desktop App, should I try the Windows version? I have a compatible CSV file I pulled from Keepass. I like to massage the CSV before importing, it allows me to clean up the data. I have a new column called "Owner" and names for each of the entries. When I import this, the names all come in for the different items, but the "Owner" heading does not come in, the Custom Field is still called "Field 6".
    What am I missing?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@glenbellamy ,

There is a link in my post above. You can run the converter suite on either Windows or Mac.

You're welcome to use whichever format of the export you want. The CSV export format loses some information that is present in the XML export, but its your choice. Just use the correct converter, and follow its directions in the README.html file in the suite.

This discussion has been closed.