2FA prompts fpr websites which can't use 1Password 2FA

alexwasserman
alexwasserman
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I have 1Password telling me to turn on 2FA for both eBay.com and Gemini.com, but neither will use the 1Password OTP (at least not that I can see). Gemini uses Authy, and eBay uses their own iOS app for the 2FA, and I can't get them to produce a QR code to setup the OTP.

So, how do I get 1Password to stop telling me to turn 2FA on for those, when it is actually enabled?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: All
Sync Type: Familes

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alexwasserman: 1Password can use either a QR code to add TOTP for the account, or a text "TOTP secret". Most sites offer those since not everyone is able scan a QR code anyway, and they can be directly pasted into a new "one-time password" field in 1Password to get the same result:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

And if a website doesn't provide a proper TOTP-compatible way to generate the codes with an app like 1Password, as in some cases you're required to use some other method they provide, you can always add the tag 2FA to the Login instead to let 1Password know you've got it coverer elsewhere.

That seems to be the case with eBay, who appears to offer only two-step options either using their app or via phone, unfortunately.

Gemini appears to have offered a TOTP option at some point, but I'm not sure if that information is current, as what I found on their site now mentions only dongle and propriety Authy options. If they'll let you select a a non-Authy option which gives you a TOTP secret to generate the code though, that will work with 1Password.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• alexwasserman
    alexwasserman
    Community Member

2FA tag looks like what I need, thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of brenty, you are welcome!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @AndrewParker ,
    Thanks for the observation! It is definitely something that is worth mentioning to our devs, although it is a very minor inconvenience with little effect, perhaps it can be implemented better in the future. Thanks for pointing that out :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise, thanks for brining it up! :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.