To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Mixed up about license, subscription, membership and different versions for our 2 Macbooks

Options
marcklein
marcklein
Community Member

I’ve used 1Password since the day Steve Jobs recommended it. I bought a license back then. I just upgraded my wife’s MacBook to Mojave and presumably I have to upgrade her 1Password to v7xx so it will work in the new Safari. I don’t object to paying Agile for all their work in producing what has been an excellent program, but I’m unsure if I should buy a license or a subscription (is that the same as a membership?). Our needs are simple. Up until now, we’ve had the same version 6xx on my MacBook and my wife’s MacBook (plus iPhones and iPads) and we use two vaults — one for her logins and one for mine. I have access to her vault and she has access to mine so we can make changes to any logins we both use. Will a license allow us to do that with two vaults? If so, how long does the license last when new versions of 1Password are introduced? Based on everything I’ve read here I am very confused about licenses, memberships, subscriptions, etc. Also, my MacBook is capped out at El Capitan. If I bought v7xx, would it work on my MacBook? If not could I stay on v6xx while my wife is on v7xx? And what about our old iPhones? She has an ancient 5c and I’m on iPhone6.

1Password Version: 6xx
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @marcklein

We appreciate your long time use of 1Password. I'm glad to hear it has been working well for you.

A 1Password Families membership (subscription) would be the most appropriate solution for your situation. Membership is the only avenue through which we support sharing 1Password data with another person. It may be possible to do so in other ways, but we'll be unable to help if problems occur as a result.

You can learn about sharing with 1Password Families here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

Each person will have their own "Personal" vault that is visible only to them. There is also a built-in Shared vault by default that everyone can view and add to. Additionally you can create and (optionally) share any number of additional vaults — whatever makes sense to you. For what you've described, to achieve similar functionality, it might make the most sense to not use either of the default vaults but instead to create new "his" and "hers" vaults that are shared with both of you. You can then use 1Password's All Vaults preferences to hide the extraneous vaults and set the vault for saving to "his" or "hers," respectively.

how long does the license last when new versions of 1Password are introduced?

Licenses never expire but are generally only valid for the version of 1Password they were purchased for, e.g. 1Password 7 for Mac. Typically a new version would require a new license.

Also, my MacBook is capped out at El Capitan. If I bought v7xx, would it work on my MacBook? If not could I stay on v6xx while my wife is on v7xx? And what about our old iPhones? She has an ancient 5c and I’m on iPhone6.

This is where you're going to run into trouble, whichever way you choose to move forward. 1Password 7 requires macOS High Sierra 10.13 or later, which means you're going to be kept off of the latest version for as long as you continue with the older MacBook. Right now it is possible to use a 1Password Families membership with 1Password 6 for Mac, but that marker will eventually move.

It looks like the iPhone 5c was discontinued in 2014 and can only run a maximum of iOS 10. The iPhone 6 can run iOS 12, but not the latest (iOS 13). For right now the iPhone 6 would be okay, but again that marker will move eventually. I'm less confident in saying that you'd be able to realistically do much if anything with the iPhone 5c. On iOS, 1Password 7 is required for compatibility with 1Password membership, which would require iOS 12.2 or later.

It may be time to start considering newer devices if at all feasible. I realize these devices are expensive and we're not financial consultants, but from a security perspective being stuck with an OS that is a number of major versions out of date on an internet connected device is far less than ideal. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

Ben

• marcklein
    marcklein
    Community Member
    Options

Ben
    Thanks so much for your detailed reply. The reason my wife clings to her iPhone 5s (I mistakenly wrote 5c) is because it fits into women’s slacks while none of the more recent phones do. So can you give me an old version of 1Password that will run on her old iPhone 5s? Will she be able to use her v7 vault on her old phone? As far as my old MacBook is concerned, it has two USB ports, an Ethernet port and a built in DVD drive. I won’t part with it until either it dies or I die. So do I understand correctly that our newer MacBooks can run on a V7 membership and still communicate with v6x with my old Macbook? Also, I believe you are saying I can update my iPhone 6 to a newer version of 1Password. Where do I find a version that will work on an iPhone 6? Lastly I wonder if with all our old equipment whether we are better staying on v6. The only problem would be it won’t work with Safari on our newer Macbook. But I guess we could copy and paste our logins from Safari v6 into Safari. Right? Any other thoughts?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

So do I understand correctly that our newer MacBooks can run on a V7 membership and still communicate with v6x with my old Macbook?

For now, yes.

The only problem would be it won’t work with Safari on our newer Macbook

That may be the only immediate problem, but as things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. The world is going to continue changing and v6 isn't.

So can you give me an old version of 1Password that will run on her old iPhone 5s?

The iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 can both run iOS 12, and as such can run 1Password 7:

1Password for iOS on the App Store

Thanks so much for your detailed reply

You're very welcome. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.