1Password X: Get "we were unable to reach the server" error when attempting to save password

I've been getting this error for a little while now, when using 1Password X in Chrome. I can't quite remember the last time saving a password actually worked (filling passwords works well, though). I'm using Chrome 77.0.3865.90, though I just upgraded, and the issue happened in the past version as well (though I'm not sure exactly which one that is.

Here's the errors in the extension console:

The first error (Cannot read property 'saveItem'...) happens when I click "Use Suggested Password" in the dropdown, the second error when I hit "save".

I've seen a few other posts with similar errors in the past, but they all seemed old enough that I figured creating a new thread might be better? I tried some of the things from those threads, though, like locking and unlocking the vault while the save dialogue was still open, but that didn't help. I also tried disabling all other extensions, and restarting chrome and my computer, but no luck.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: Windows 10 18362.356
Sync Type: 1Password.com account
Referrer: forum-search:1Password X "we were unable to reach the server"

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @foophoof! Sorry for the trouble here. It seems like your account may need to be re-authenticated. That "unable to reach the server" error typically appears when your Wi-Fi isn't strong enough or if you've recently made any changes to your account (i.e. updated Secret Key, changed Master Password, enabled MFA, etc.). Since you've already tried a couple of troubleshooting steps, I'd like you to move straight to uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password X. Go ahead and try to save a password after that and let me know if you see the same error.

• foophoof
    foophoof
    Community Member

Reinstalling 1Password X seems to have fixed it, thanks!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad to hear that, @foophoof! You're very welcome. :)

• woter324
    woter324
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

~Just setup a 1Password account, with the intention of moving from LastPass with the hope that it handles drop-down credential forms better.~

~I'm on a wired connection, rebooted my laptop and still getting the error "We are unable to reach the server..."~

~I have done what @beyer suggested back in 2018 which worked, but with no Push MFA support, having to enter my master password all the time and this error, I think I'll be sticking with LastPass.~

Don't worry about the above. After reading that you don't support push OTP, I won't be moving anyway.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear this! Thank you for giving 1Password a try, and please stay safe online. No matter what password manager you end up using, it is important that you use one.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member

I am getting "We were unale to reach the server" error and I have re-installed 1PasswordX but the error appears again.
    Using 1PasswordX 1.16.2 (build #20088) – released 2019-09-12
    on Windows 10 Enterprise
    running Firefox 70.0 (64-bit) browser

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2019

Hi @uwalakab! I'd like to take a closer look and get an issue filed for our developers if this error is happening after reinstalling 1Password X without you making any changes to your account. Can you please send a copy of your 1Password X logs to support+x@1password.com after the error occurs? You can find the guide that shows how to obtain those logs here.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn ,

This is first time I've seen this from the Laptop PC side. I've seen sync problems happen on the app, but that was definitely down to brief network glitches. But here I am using a cooperate network infrastructure, and at the time of the problem the internet was most certainly available.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@uwalakab:

Thank you for the update. Should this happen again, please follow kaitlyn's instructions to send us the logs and we will be happy to take a closer look at why this happened to you.

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana and @kaitlyn
    I'm afraid this is still happening. Will send more logs from today.

Best regards,

Benet.

• Thanks @uwalakab. Once you've sent the logs please let us know.

Ben

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member

Many thank guys. I'm continuing this via email as suggested by Kaitlyn to avoid publishing anything confidential.

Best regards,

Benet.

• Excellent. Thanks for the update. :)

Ben

• uwalakab
    uwalakab
    Community Member

Hey @Yaron @Ben @kaitlyn ,

The following happened just now....

1. Went to the key website to change my password.
    2. Went to save the password with 1Password X and got the error "We were unable to reach the server".
    3. Went to 1Password X, did a right click and clicked on "Lock".
    4. Pressed Ctrl-Period (Ctrl-.) to launch 1Password X and re-authenticate.
    5. Went back to the website from where I left it.
    6. Changed the password successfully.

I think that there may be an issue with the auto lock (setting in 1Password X under "Lock after system is idle for.....").
    I did not need to re-install 1Password X at all. :)
    If this happens again then I will perform the same steps. Perhaps your developers might already know what's going here at code level.

Best regards,

Benet.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the detailed info, @uwalakab .
    However, we did not receive such reports from other users so I think it is more reasonable to assume that the problem is local to your setup, until such time where we get a massive wave of reports that this happens to everyone ;)

Keep me posted with any new information you discover via the support ticket.

This discussion has been closed.