1Password 7 not responding due to inaccessible network vault location

ananova
ananova
Community Member

I ignored the "not recommended" warning and synced a local vault over the network so I could share passwords with my Windows desktop.

I haven't had the network share mounted for a while, and I have even changed networks, and everything kept working okay.

Fast forward to today where I did an OS update followed by a reboot.

When I try to launch 1Password 7 it is beach-balling (not responding) and I keep getting an alert popping up every minute saying "There was a problem connecting to the server".

How can I remove this vault so that I may use 1Password again? I tried re-installing the app but the settings must be stored in something like Application Support.

Where do I go to delete settings??

I am syncing my personal vault with iCloud, and have an account through work. I cannot afford to lose the passwords stored in my personal vault.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: iCloud, network folder

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ananova: Yeah that's why we don't support using a network volume as a sync location, and actively warn against it: we get no notice when a network drive becomes unavailable, and find out "the hard way" that it cannot be read or written to, which can lead to data loss; and how the OS handles network timeouts has changed over time too.

If your data is in iCloud, or on another device, you can reset the app and set it up just with that; or, failing that, Quit 1Password Completely (Command Option Control Q) or force quit and remove its support folders:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits

~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7

And install a fresh copy: https://1password.com/downloads/

For syncing between macOS and Windows (and other platforms), Dropbox works. But a 1Password membership is more seamless and has a number of other benefits. If you'd like to switch to that, shoot me an email at support@1password.com with the details, and I can help you make the transition.

That should get you back up and running though. :)

• ananova
    ananova
    Community Member

Thank you @brenty, you are a life-saver!

When I've tried to solve this problem in the past (syncing with a Windows PC) I've used Dropbox, and iCloud drive. There's just more to install using this route, and I need passwords to do so! I was feeling lazy and wanted to copy across a single password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of brenty, you are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.