1 Password CLI cannot be verified on Mac OS Catalina

tommeier
tommeier
Community Member

Hi,

Since upgrading to Catalina - 1Password CLI was working - however yesterday around midday this has stopped working on all devices. Version 0.6.2 of 1 password CLI.

Any command line usage of "op" results in alert of:

“op” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware

Homebrew Cask downloaded this file on 1 October 2019 from support.1password.com.

Thanks,

Tom

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 0.6.2
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• tommeier
    tommeier
    Community Member

Use at own risk Catalina workaround: sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /usr/local/bin/op

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@tommeier Interesting that it was working for a while... what would happen if you delete and re-download the binary from homebrew or our own download page?

• cwebster
    cwebster
    Community Member

Installing via Brew does not resolve the issue.

This is the error message.
    “op” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.
    macOS cannot verify that this app is free from malware.
    Homebrew Cask downloaded this file today at 9:46 AM from support.1password.com.

To get around it, I went into System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General Tab - and there was a the above warning, and I was able to allow it from there. I had to allow it a couple times before it stuck.

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

Yes, this is a feature of macOS Catalina, and we are working internally to see what exactly needs to be done to allow op to run warning-free on Catalina.

• tommeier
    tommeier
    Community Member

@cohix - yes same thing with reinstall or from download of binary - I believe its due to it not being notarised: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=09032019a

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@tommeier that's correct, we are working on getting this ready for the next release. For the time being you can allow the op binary to run in system preferences.

This discussion has been closed.