Has support for 1 Password 6 ended? [Yes; 1Password 7 requires separate purchase or membership]

Options
ShaneKeller
ShaneKeller
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

Hello, 1 Password Team,

Has support for MAC users with 1 password 6.x.x ended?

I was excited to download 1 Password 7 thinking this was an upgrade to 6.8.8. But after installing, it immediately asked me to pay for a monthly service or a new standalone license. In addition, after installing, it unexpectedly removed my access to my existing passwords and the app for 1 Password 6 disappeared.

This process said to me, you have to pay to get access to passwords again.

I don't want to be negative but it felt like my passwords were now being held hostage and I was being forced to pay to get them back.

Thankfully, I did some sleuthing and I did find manually locate a zip folder containing my 1P6 App, but zero direction was provided for recovering my passwords. I just got the impression I was required to pay.

• Can you provide some clarification on what is happening?
  • Is 1P7 not a free upgrade for 1P6 users?
  • Has support for 1P6 users been dropped?

Thank you

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.4
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there @ShaneKeller

Sorry for the trouble, let me get right to answering those questions of yours.

Can you provide some clarification on what is happening?

The reason 1Password 6 was placed in a zip file upon installing 1Password 7 is because having both versions installed and running at the same time can cause all sorts of unwanted behaviours. To mitigate that, 1Password 6 is moved to a zip file to keep it as a backup while keeping it out of the way for 1Password 7 to run properly.

Is 1P7 not a free upgrade for 1P6 users?

Correct. We have been very clear about this since the beta and the initial announcement of 1Password 7, along with all release information for 1Password 7. 1Password 7 is a paid upgrade for license holders. Those with a 1Password membership have the upgrade included as part of their membership.

Has support for 1P6 users been dropped?

Not at all. While development for 1Password has ended barring maybe some crisis level bug or something of the sort being discovered, support has not. You are still free to use 1Password 6 if you wish and we will still continue to provide support for people who do so. While we recommend that you upgrade to 1Password 7 to both take advantage of its new features as well as because it is always the best idea to keep up to date with the newest versions of important software such as security software, OS upgrades and the like, you are not required to upgrade.

Hopefully that clears things up for you. Let me know if there are any other questions you may have. :)

• ShaneKeller
    ShaneKeller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @Corey_C.

I appreciate your help so quickly. I do like new features especially this one: "Fill logins in apps."

While installing 1P7, I did not see a note explaining the 1P6 app was to be zipped up. Was that included in 1P7's install process?

** Does 1P7 login to websites where there are multiple steps? Window 1: Name, Password >> Window 2: Challenge Question >> login.

Thank you again,
    Shane

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

@ShaneKeller

Happy to help. :)

Yes, it is part of 1Password 7's install process. I'm not sure if it is mentioned explicitly, though. As for multi-page logins, those are absolutely supported. Take a look over at https://support.1password.com/create-multi-page-login/.

• madonzy
    madonzy
    Community Member
    edited June 2018
    Options

1) How do I know that if you store my passwords, your servers are protected enough and my password newer would be stolen? Do you have any public/private key protection?
    2) Is it possible to import wallets from 1password 6 to 1password 7?

• Jacob
    edited June 2018
    Options

@madonzy There are three umbrellas of security in 1Password accounts. ☔ Before all of them is your Master Password and Secret Key. In the standalone version of 1Password, everything is protected by your Master Password and all the security wizardry in the app. But in an account, the Secret Key is used to strengthen things even further. If you have a weak password, it's very unlikely someone will be able to access your data because the Secret Key is a 128-bit string of characters that's generated locally when you set up your account. It never leaves your device, and we ask that you print it out to have a copy in case you need it later — you're probably not going to remember the whole thing. ;)

It’s great to have a Master Password and Secret Key protect your data, but they also need to communicate with the server to access your data, so we use three layers to protect things at rest and in transit. The first layer is based on your Master Password and Secret key, which are used to derive a secret that is used to securely encrypt all of your data, both at rest and in transit between your devices and our servers. The second layer is based on the Secure Remote Password protocol. It allows your devices and our servers to make sure they are who they say they are. This provides an additional layer of protection against attack. The third and final layer is the standard TLS/SSL protocol. This layer provides a final layer of encryption and also allows your web browser to indicate that you were communicating directly with a 1Password web server.

Learn more about how 1Password keeps your data safe no matter where it's synced:

How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

Is it possible to import wallets from 1password 6 to 1password 7?

Yep! Simply upgrade to 1Password 7 and you'll be able to import all your existing data:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac

Hope that helps!

ref: RZG-26934-887

• mhumke
    mhumke
    Community Member
    Options

If one has already installed 1Password 7 and wishes to go back to 1Password 6, what is the proper procedure to ensure that no data is lost? Thank you.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mhumke

If you opt to revert to an earlier version that is your prerogative, but it isn't something we can recommend. That said, licenses never expire, and so you can continue using any version you've licensed for as long as it works for you. As things continue to evolve around the now retired v6 it will be less and less practical to continue using it. For example, Safari 13 uses an all new extension framework, and as such will not work with v6.

If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but again that should be considered a temporary measure.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.