1Password 7 for Windows - How to install for all users

Options

Currently I'm using 1Password 4 under Windows. I'm planning to upgrade 1Password 7 for Windows. I ran the Installer and found that 1Password is installed in my User Profile. However, I prefer to install it for all users. But there seems to be no option to install ist for all users.

Is there an option to install 1Password 7 for all users? Or are there specific reasons why 1Password 7 can only be installed in the User Profile?

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @GStegemann: 1Password installs per user so that multiple people using the same PC can each use 1Password with their own data when signed in to their user profile. You can install it individually for each user profile and set it up on each to achieve something like an all users installation, but it cannot be installed for all users at once by design and it must live in your user folder to work properly. :+1:

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate that sucks I never noticed that until a little while ago. Even when I right click and say run as admin it still installs in the user profile :( It is ok though. Maybe this is how you all are able to allow 1Password to auto update when it is locked. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to.

Also thought this was the reason for 1Password 7 being slow opening with my issue but I was wrong. I tested 1Password 7 in a admin user and nothing changed.

Maybe I should of mention I run as a limited user or non admin user. I don't think that would make a difference though.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ttim03: The slow performance behaviour in 1Password 7 is a completely different issue that we are investigating at the moment. We received an email from you and will get back to you as soon as we have more news on this matter. I hope for your understanding.

Cheers,
    Greg

• ttim03
    ttim03
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ttim03: :+1: :chuffed:

• GStegemann
    GStegemann
    Community Member
    Options

but it cannot be installed for all users at once by design and it must live in your user folder to work properly.

Anyway, I would prefer to have the executables installed for all users, i.e. in "C:\Program Files". Even then it is possible to configure it individually for every user. Separate configuration, Password Vaults, Browser Add-Ins, etc. Or I'm wrong here? As far as I have seen it correctly this kind of configuration is possible on a Mac.

• jspeicher
    jspeicher
    Community Member
    Options

I'm utterly confused here, every other application we've ever installed allows an installation for all users on a individual machine. The lack of foresight in how this installed will prevent the user base we support to use your product. We don't allow installations, or if we even did, their desktop gets recomposed ever 7-14 days, causing the program to be reinstalled after that time due to the old image containing an installation of the product that is only on an admin account. Why would AgileBits not allow for the installation to be done so that it's installed for all users to be used on a machine, then store user data in the profiles? Like every every other product ?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

The way our current third party installer works doesn't permit this reliably, there are at least two different needs (single user/family and enterprise) that doesn't exist in a single installer or if it does but requires additional work. We've tried a few third-party installer (MSI, ClickOnce, etc) and it had problems that wasn't allowing 1Password to be installed and updated properly for everyone. MSI automatically requested admin rights long before we even ask and even when we don't ask, it still asks. Even with MSI installing to all users, it failed with automatic update every once in a while because of permission issues. Our own numbers were showing that people aren't updating fast enough and we need to have a reliable update infrastructure as security updates need to be pushed fast.

We've switched to a much simpler, install to current user only with Innosetup and it increased the reliability of the installation and updates by 90%, majority of our users are updated within days rather than months. This is key for our product.

However, the current solution was not designed for the enterprise deployments, that's a separate need and most likely will need a separate installer. If you need to deploy 1Password in an enterprise network, get in touch with us at support+windows@1Password.com and we can provide some suggestions but it is not currently a configuration that we support right now with the 1Password installer.

We have plans to either build our own installer or find a better solution to support additional options such as installing to all users, enterprise style of deployment and such.

• GStegemann
    GStegemann
    Community Member
    Options

We have plans to either build our own installer or find a better solution to support additional options such as installing to all users, enterprise style of deployment and such.

Follow up on this: any plans when installing to "all users" will be available?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nothing to announce at this time, but we're working on making installation more flexible. :)

• jaime_zimin
    jaime_zimin
    Community Member
    Options

Any progress on an Enterprise installer?

• Hi,

There's nothing new to share at the moment and it is still near the top of our list.

• SnowyOwl
    SnowyOwl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    I have a local user at a domain PC. Local users are prevented from having admin rights by a group policy. We use special domain accounts with local admin permissions to install the software. How do I install 1Password for this local user?

• Unless there's an additional restriction in place beyond not granting admin rights, @SnowyOwl, you shouldn't have any trouble with a normal install of 1Password. It doesn't require admin rights to install as it lives in the user folder. Absent additional restrictions, there's nothing special you should have to do in order to install for a local user. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.