1PasswordX and my.1password.com, not syncing!

arturoaubry
arturoaubry
Community Member
edited April 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

Hey, 1Pass community.

I have a problem. I opened 1Pass through my.1password.com and made various updates and changes to several items, but when I go ahead and open those sites I updated and try to fill the info through 1PasswordX, these updates don't show up. I tried Reloading (through Developer Tools > Reload), but had no luck.

Can you help me?

1Password Version: 7 something
Extension Version: 1.14.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Account

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @arturoaubry,

Depending on how consistently you're experiencing this I wonder if you might help us with a few details.

1. Do you have 2FA enabled on your 1Password account?
    2. Does the issue persist if you restart the browser? If it isn't present immediately, does the issue return after a period of time?
    3. Could we trouble you for the console logs after the issue next happens, it may be they reveal something. Our support page Save a console log for 1Password in your browser will help with the steps.

That behaviour is definitely not what we want you to experience and I can only hope we can identify why you're suffering this.

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @littlebobbytables.

I'll be more than glad to answer your questions:

Yes, I do.

1. Does the issue persist if you restart the browser? If it isn't present immediately, does the issue return after a period of time?

I first noticed this problem yesterday, I've restarted my browser a couple of times since, and the problem persists.

1. Could we trouble you for the console logs after the issue next happens, it may be they reveal something. Our support page Save a console log for 1Password in your browser will help with the steps.

Yes, of course. I tried to attach it but says the file format is not allowed, so I'm uploading it to Google Drive. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YEspcuTvSW3VTytxFWoCRHckRPqcCjKMZRmYl2fpBKs

Hopefully, we'll be able to find out what's going on and fix it. Thanks in advance!

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @littlebobbytables.

Thanks for responding. I'll be more than glad to answer your questions:

Yes, I do.

1. Does the issue persist if you restart the browser? If it isn't present immediately, does the issue return after a period of time?

I first noticed this issue yesterday, and I've restarted my browser a couple of times since. However, the problem persists.

1. Could we trouble you for the console logs after the issue next happens, it may be they reveal something. Our support page Save a console log for 1Password in your browser will help with the steps.

Yes, of course. I tried to upload it here, but it says the file format isn't supported, so I'm uploading it to Google Drive. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YEspcuTvSW3VTytxFWoCRHckRPqcCjKMZRmYl2fpBKs

Hopefully, we'll be able to find out what's going on and fix this problem. Thanks in advance!

• Hey @arturoaubry - Thanks for sending over all this information. This reminds me of something we encountered a while back where changes to a 1Password account (like a changed Secret Key, for example) required re-authentication of that account in 1Password X and not re-authenticating was yielding something similar to what you're seeing. Our solution was to start sending a 1Password X re-auth notification banner. I'm wondering if you received any notifications to sign back into your 1Password account.

Before we started sending the prompt to sign back in to your account, the solution was to remove and re-add the account from 1Password X. If you're up for it, can you try that and see if that sorts things out?

• Click the 1Password X icon in your browser's toolbar.
    • Click the "Settings" gear in the top right of the extension, then click "Settings." Here you can remove and add your account. (Please make sure you have your Emergency Kit handy before removing your account)
  • arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @cecelia.

Yes! That worked, thank you very much. It was very annoying having to go to my.1password.com. You should fix that, though, as there's no indication whatsoever that's the problem. If you need any help, let me know, and I'll be more than glad to help.

Thanks again :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arturoaubry: Certainly it's something we'll look into, but it's difficult to know what we're trying to improve without more details. Did you receive the notification, as Cecelia asked? To be clear, it can't tell you specifically why the authentication failed. It doesn't know, and can't because of how 1Password's security works. Even if we didn't things differently (we're not going to, because the alternatives are less secure), we wouldn't want to be leaking information to an attacker telling them what exactly what the cause of the failure, since that would help them focus their efforts.

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Hey, @brenty.

Thanks for taking the time of replying. To answer your question, no, I didn't receive any notification. Actually, I was still able to access all of my items through 1Password X (so I assume everything was fine) but it stopped syncing any changes I made through my.1password.com.

And 1Pass X didn't require me to enter my 6-digit code nor it didn't show any signs of needing any additional change/info, that was the confusion.

So, in essence, it's not that it couldn't tell me specifically why the authentication failed, but that it didn't even ask me to re-authenticate, even though it was needed to be able to sync all my items again.

Hopefully, I was able to clear things up. Of course, if you need anything else, please let me know!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No, that's perfect. Thanks for clarifying! We'll keep an eye out. :) :+1:

We've made a lot of improvements in the beta, and if you're generally interested in seeing the new stuff first and providing feedback, we'd love to have you:

How to install 1Password X beta in Chrome

Either way, thanks for your feedback on this! :chuffed:

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Thank you, @brenty.

I'll definitely check out the Beta. Have an excellent week!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Great! You too! :chuffed:

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Well considering this thread began in April and I'm here suffering the very same problem 6 months later just makes me sad and regrettably eats away at a persons confidence in a product; for years 1password has previously been robust and reliable. This thread helped me fix my issue but dealt a sincere blow to a previously avid supporter. I re-added the account to my 1passwordX but 6 months on guys? I trust you with my most private secrets and I just cannot risk my devices going out of sync and loosing data. I need reassurance this is not a systemic issue eroding away

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@spaceshipdev – I'm sorry to hear that you ran into a similar sync issue as the OP, although I'm glad that re-adding your account to 1Password X resolved things. I'd like to explain why this happens, and I'm hoping that'll reassure you in itself.

Side note: Since you're using a 1Password membership, your data will always be accessible on my.1password.com. Whether you have to re-authenticate in the desktop apps or in 1Password X or not, you always have my.1password.com.

Typically, I see folks needing to re-authenticate (sign back into their account) after a change is made to their account (update email, change Secret Key/Master Password, enable/disable MFA, etc.). If you've done something like that recently, you should have received a notification within your browser asking you to re-authenticate your account in 1Password X. Do you recall receiving a notification along those lines? I'll admit that browser notifications can be easily missed, and I've missed them in the past myself. If you don't remember seeing anything like that, is there a chance you have browser notifications disabled?

I do think we can improve the behavior and potentially give you some sort of notification inside 1Password X along with the browser notification when an account needs to be re-authenticated. I've added your input to an existing issue we have open, and I appreciate your feedback on the subject.

ref: x/b5x#1062

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Many thanks for this reassurance Kaitlyn, especially as I also raised this via email AND the 1password testflight app (send beta feedback) and your response is all I have received this far. Not what I expect as a team member at all which makes me assume things are busy at HQ. Again, unsettling. Actually I not only signed out of the 1passwordX extension but I removed it too. I restarted Firefox and reinstated the extension a fresh but I now have found more credentials that only exist on my ios device and NOT on either 1passwordX or my.1password.com. My current workaround is using Pushbullet to send my creds from my ios device to my currently out of sync devices. I also instigated the 'send diags' option from my ios device hoping this might help shed light on the matter.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@spaceshipdev – Absolutely. I'm no iOS expert, but my first guess is that your items may be getting saved to a local vault rather than a vault within your account. That would explain why it's not showing up in your account vaults at my.1password.com or 1Password X (since those only support vaults within your account). Can you try opening up the 1Password app on your iPhone and tapping Settings on the bottom menu? From there, tap on Vaults, then All Vaults. At the very top, you should see Vault for Saving. Is that vault one that you can also see in 1Password X/my.1password.com?

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

@kaitlyn, you have totally nailed this.
    When I followed your directions to click on Settings I got this dialog popup: -

As it's obviously impossible to plug a Yubikey 4 into an iPhone 11 ProS I tapped cancel and 1Password asked me for a 2FA code.
    All this time 1Password has been silently failing in the background due to this; plus the UI for handling Plug in Key needs some finesse. There needs to be an alternative (as obviously clicking Cancel seems backward.
    In any case, after navigating this key/code UX obstacle course I have now successfully entered a 2FA code but then iOS 1P crashed. Left it for a good while until the iPhone slept. Woke it up, passed faceID and still greeted with a 1P app launch screen while meanwhile logged into my.1password on my Mac (awaiting the still yet missing un sync'd credentials)
    After a force quit on my iPhone, a relaunch sorted it out and the missing credentials appeared in Safari.
    I am now in sync! THANK-YOU
    P.S. is this screen capture large enough LMAO

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@spaceshipdev – Interesting! We did recently add support for YubiKey 5Ci to the 1Password iOS app, but you're right, a YubiKey 4 wouldn't work even if we tried. :lol: I'm super glad to hear that you're back to being in sync on all of your devices now.

I'm curious if you sent in the crash report (if you were given the option) after 1Password for iOS crashed on you. If so, I'll let the iOS team know to keep an eye out for it.

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member

Totally sent in the crash report, as I always do with all of my testflight apps. Perhaps they just missed it. All the very best and thanks again for being a super awesome 1password person.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@spaceshipdev – I don't think they would have missed it, but I imagine they're a bit busy with the iOS 13 release. I'm happy to get it on their radar, though. Did you also send an email to support@1password.com or did you just submit the crash report in TestFlight? I believe only the former would get you a response from the team.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

And before I forget, you're very welcome. ❤️I'm glad we were able to get things sorted even though I specialize in the 1Password X side of things. :chuffed:

• spaceshipdev
    spaceshipdev
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

You are right again, I only used the testflight send beta feedback In this case I will follow up with an email for brevity and closure. It's been great interacting with you Kaitlyn. I find myself already thirsting for my next 1passwordX issue just to get back in touch! 🤗

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Be careful what you wish for. :tongue: Anyway, I'm glad that Kaitlyn was able to help. We're here if you have any other questions about 1Password. Have a great weekend! :)

• drstevens
    drstevens
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Is there a way to force a refresh or sync in the "1 password x" browser extension? I am using it in one of my chrome users and at least one password is out of sync with a recently changed password that is correct in both the Android app and the OS X desktop app. I believe it is the old desktop app? I have restarted the browser multiple times. The first time I opened this Chrome user, I was asked to unlock, which I successfully did.

Edit: While attempting to sign up to post this question, I am getting the error, "Unable to reach the server..." while storing the newly created password.

I have no issues with networking as everything else works, including the 1Password Desktop app and the regular 1Password Extension (old?) in a different chrome user. Silent syncing issues like this cause data loss and are why I am trying to transition from LastPass. This does not give me much confidence.

Unable to sync error

The password in question is still out-of-date 20 minutes later in this browser extension. It's not completely obvious how to even log out and re-login. I've been trying to figure this out for about 5 minutes now.

At a minimum, there needs to be some visual warning that it is unable to sync so that I don't continue making changes to the vault through this extension.

I am using the "1Password X" extension in one Chrome User and the regular "1Password Extension" in another Chrome user because I get an error about Chrome being invalid when attempting to install the "1Password Extension" in this other user.

• drstevens
    drstevens
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Sigh... Somehow my question was deleted. Did someone delete it? Was there a syncing issue ;) ?

How do I force sync in "1password x" extension? I was also having trouble figuring out how to log out and log in again.

I recently updated a password using the normal "1Password extension" in one Chrome user, which is using the "1Password 7 Desktop app" on OS X. I am not seeing the update in the "1Password X" extension 30 minutes later. The new creds are correct in the Android app as well, so they must have been sync'ed to the server.

While trying to sign up for this forum, I got the following error after trying to save the new forum creds.

My main question is about how to force sync from within the "1Password X" extension, but if there are questions about why I need to use two different extensions in different Chrome users, I will elaborate.

The reason behind using different browser extensions in different Chrome users is because I was unable to get the same extension to work in both chrome users. I get an error about being unable to verify the Browser when installing the second extension. I don't know if this is related to trying to install this Browser extension in both Chrome users or not.

We absolutely need a visual warning that there is a problem syncing so that we don't continue making the problem worse. A lack of warning when there is a syncing issue causes data loss and is very frustrating as a user. This problem is why I am transitioning to 1Password from your competitor, but this does not fill me with confidence.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for reaching out about this, @drstevens. I'm curious if you've made any changes to your account recently, such as updating your email, changing your Master Password, enabling/disabling 2FA. That's typically what causes 1Password X to get out of sync, so I'd like to learn if that was the case or if we've got a different issue on our hands. If you wouldn't mind grabbing a console log if sync is still broken for you, that may help point us in the right direction. You can find our guide for grabbing your logs here.

As far as signing out and back into your 1Password account, you'll find the option on the 1Password X settings page, which you can access by right-clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and selecting settings. After that, scroll to the bottom of the page, and you should see a Sign Out button next to your account. I would love it if you could grab your logs before signing out and back in, though. Thank you!

• drstevens
    drstevens
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Unfortunately, I've given up and removed the extension from this Chrome user. I did not make any changes to my account though.

I removed it in an attempt at installing the "1Password Extension", which also did not work because it claimed to not recognize the version of Chrome I'm using.

Is there a way to force a refresh in any of the 1Password apps? I'm having some trouble finding this in 1Password 7 OS X app as well.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@drstevens – No worries. That makes me wonder if you have a pending update in Chrome. Below are a few troubleshooting steps to try. You're welcome to try one at a time and move onto the next step if the former doesn't do the trick.

1. Quit and re-open Chrome.
    2. Hold down the option key, click the 1Password icon in the right side of your menu bar, and select Quit 1Password Completely.
    3. Restart your computer.
  • drstevens
    drstevens
    Community Member

Having struggled with sync issues in a couple of other password managers, it would be really helpful if there was a more explicit and easy way to force a refresh. It's nice to know that you have the latest before making updates. We really also need to be informed when there is a syncing issue so that we can resolve it before losing more data.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

For sure. I agree with you, @drstevens. We have an existing issue around this topic, so I'll pass your feedback along.

ref: x/b5x#1062

This discussion has been closed.