Why doesn't 1Password properly delete old backups?

jasondunn
jasondunn
Community Member
edited October 2019 in Mac

Recently I wasted 15+ minutes digging through the file system on my iMac cleaning up 17 GB (!!!) of old 1Password backups. I started using 1Password in 2015 when I first got my iMac, and have upgraded to every new version since. I'm on version 7 now, paying the yearly subscription. I really love the product, and really admire AgileBits as a whole, so the fact that the software over the years has left such a huge footprint of digital storage waste is pretty upsetting to me. I shouldn't have to second-guess high-quality software like this, wondering if it's slowing eating up my storage space.

I hope that new customers that start with v7 don't have the same thing happen to them. :|

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Deleting old backups

Comments

• Hi @jasondunn

Thanks for the feedback. Modern versions of 1Password are pretty good about this, but if you do notice an issue going forward please let us know. :+1:

Ben

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Hi Ben. What would be a really great feature for every new version of 1Password would be for it to clean up the backups and other unneeded files from previous versions. Imagine how happy AgileBits can make customers when they give them back many GB of storage space. :)

• We tend to be fairly cautious about automatically deleting anyone's data, but do appreciate the thought.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.