Secret Key

Options
lramsey47
lramsey47
Community Member

Hello, I have 3 users using 1Password6 on Macs. They use the app and they have sharing to dropbox set up so that they can share passwords and have same info on all three machines. All three are suddenly being asked for a secret key for the browser plugin which none of them have. The accounts are not in their desktop apps so they are unable to retrieve them there. When trying to login online it also asks for the secret key which they do not have. So my understanding is the only way to get them back up and running is to start over. My question is will we be able to retrieve the data from the dropbox files or what is the best way to proceed to get them back up and running without data loss? Do we need to upgrade them to the latest version or what do we need to do here?

Cheers!
Lincoln O'.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: N/A cannot install
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @lramsey47! So, it sounds as if your users may have downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac, because the Secret Key to which you're referring is a part of 1password.com account/memberships...and if you haven't signed up for a 1Password membership at the main 1Password sign-up page, you won't have a Secret Key. But you should also not be asked for one, if you're running 1Password 6 for Mac and syncing via Dropbox.

Do your users use Safari as their primary browsers? And if so, did these users perhaps recently upgrade to the new Safari 13? The type of browser extension which was current when 1Password 6 for Mac was the current version has been replaced by a newer format, and Safari 13 requires the new format, meaning 1Password 6 for Mac will not work in Safari 13.

If your users were syncing their data via Dropbox, they should be able to just re-link a newly-installed copy of 1Password to the Agile Keychain or OPVault in Dropbox...up to Dropbox's 3-device limit for free accounts. And 1Password for Mac makes daily backups of your data for you, so previous versions can be restored if necessary. The first thing to do is find out if they upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac or Safari 13. Let me know what you discover.

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

The user I have access to is still running 1Password 6 but she has upgraded to Safari to 13.
    is there benefit to upgrading?

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

upgrading 1Password that is.

• @lramsey47

To use 1Password with Safari 13 1Password 7 for Mac is required. You can read about some of the other benefits of v7 here:

About 1Password membership

We'd highly recommend upgrading by way of a membership, which includes not only what is currently the latest version but also includes all future upgrades so long as your membership is in good standing.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

To confirm, if i upgrade to 7 with a membership then I can start over and add the dropbox files and it will repopulate everything for all the users, correct? Is there another sync mechanism now that is better or is dropbox sill the best solution?

thank you,
    Lincoln O'.

• @lramsey47

Membership itself is the sync solution. Dropbox is no longer involved. But if you have OPVault files in Dropbox that you need to pull your data from that will be possible, yes.

Ben

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

And with the membership they will be able to access one another's vaults? This is critical so that their assistant can keep things up to date for them.
    Thanks for all your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lramsey47 - not each others' Private vaults, no -- those are for individual items that don't need to be - or shouldn't be - shared. But if you choose a 1Password Business account, there is a group-wide Shared vault that allows everyone to see/use/edit anything in that vault, and Administrators can also set up any number of additional vaults with any configuration of users they wish.

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

And do we lose the dropbox option? That is how we are doing it currently that the assistant can access their vaults via the Agile Keychain. Would 1Password 7 be a better option then?

• 1Password membership supports sharing of data, but it doesn't rely on / utilize Dropbox. If you have an assistant that just needs access to one vault within the membership then a guest account may be appropriate for that assistant:

Share with guests in your team

If they need access to more than one vault, or they need their own Private vault as well, then they'll need to be a fully fledged team member:

Add and remove team members

Sharing via Dropbox is not supported.

Ben

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

can you set a "default" vault on a user? So if we got business, Admin could set up three vaults? One for the assistant, one for the other users that the assistant could access to keep everything up to date for them?

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

And are you recommending Teams or Business?

• @lramsey47

And are you recommending Teams or Business?

That would really depend on your needs. You can view a comparison here:

https://1password.com/teams/pricing/

But also our business team would be happy to discuss your needs with you so they can point you in the direction of the best option for your organization. They can be reached direct at business@1password.com.

can you set a "default" vault on a user? So if we got business, Admin could set up three vaults? One for the assistant, one for the other users that the assistant could access to keep everything up to date for them?

I'm not sure I understand the question about a "default" vault. Could you elaborate?

Each team member gets their own Private vault by default. No one else can be given access this vault. There is also a built-in Shared vault, by default, which is accessible to the entire team. The Shared vault can be deleted if it isn't desired. Additional vaults can be created and shared with team members:

Create, share, and manage vaults in your team

Guests on the other hand only have access to a single shared vault which they are invited to. They do not receive their own Private vault, and do not have access to the built-in Shared vault (unless that is the one vault that is shared with them).

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

I think so.
    By default, I mean when a user goes to save a new password, I would assume it would default to their private vault. Can that be changed so that by default it would save in another vault of their choosing? To allow use of a vault that the assistant could access.
    To confirm, with Teams you can create other vaults and set permissions for users of the team correct? in conjunction with the above it would work as we desire.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lramsey47

By default, I mean when a user goes to save a new password, I would assume it would default to their private vault. Can that be changed so that by default it would save in another vault of their choosing?

Yes. You can set the default vault for saving items to any vault you have write access to, in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults:

To confirm, with Teams you can create other vaults and set permissions for users of the team correct?

Yes

Hope that's helpful!

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect!!
    Thanks for all your help!

• You're very welcome @lramsey47. :)

Ben

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

We are going to upgrade to the teams service. I am hoping to do one user, the assistant first. If I do so, will she lose access to the other vaults that are currently syncing via dropbox? Can I upgrade her first to get things set up and upgrade the other users down the road?
    The issue is that they travel pretty much constantly but we need to get the assistant upgraded so she can get things rolling again since the upgrade of Safari she is struggling.
    Cheers!
    L:L

• Ben
    Options

@lramsey47,

We generally would not recommend mixing and matching membership and standalone but it can be done. For what it's worth... sharing 1Password data via Dropbox is no longer supported, so the sooner you can get off of that arrangement the better. :)

Can I upgrade her first to get things set up and upgrade the other users down the road?

Yes, you could do that.

The issue is that they travel pretty much constantly but we need to get the assistant upgraded so she can get things rolling again since the upgrade of Safari she is struggling.

Understood. :+1:

Ben

• lramsey47
    lramsey47
    Community Member
    Options

I am about to embark on this project, your comment:

Membership itself is the sync solution. Dropbox is no longer involved. But if you have OPVault files in Dropbox that you need to pull your data from that will be possible, yes.

Can you point me to any documentation on how I would import the data currently syncing via dropbox into the new V7 accounts?

Cheers!
    L:L

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lramsey47:

Here is our guide on how to migrate data to a 1Password.com account. I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.