Mac Upgrade 1P6 to 1P7: Master Password problem

jneese
jneese
Community Member

Hi,
I wanted to update my daughter's installation of 1P for her Macbook. She still has 1P6 on her Mac with a local vault, where her old 1P master password still works. But when she installs and launches 1P7 the software immediately - before she gets a chance to enter her new 1P family account credentials - ask for her master password and does NOT accept neither the old nor the new one.

At this point in time 1P7 cannot yet know about the new family setup. So how do we convince 1P7 to stop asking for a master password on launch and instead let my daughter e.g. scan her emergency kit so 1P7 can be set to "up and running"?

Regards
Jochen

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Workshed
    Workshed
    Community Member

I have this same problem, I upgraded from 1P6 to 1P7 a few days ago and now 1P7 has stopped accepting my master password. I can login to the web portal fine and access my passwords there but the macOS app seems to completely locked out.

• Hi folks,

This can be resolved by using the Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data option in 1Password 7, and then using the Emergency Kit to sign in.

Ben

• Workshed
    Workshed
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben that's done the trick!

• Glad to hear it @Workshed. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here on out but if there is anything else we can help with please let us know.

Ben

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    thanks for the hint. It is important that "Reset All 1Password Data" does NOT reset data but resets the master password only. The data, still living within 1P6, should be untouched. Maybe you should rename this option so that users don't suspect a general reset that would start over from scratch. Even the slight possibility that this would happen has the potential to really scare people...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jneese:

Reset 1Password data does not simply reset the Master Password. It resets the application completely, including removing any data currently inside it. Therefore, after the reset it will have to be configured again.

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

Ok, what about the data that still reside in Version 6. These should be safe/saved, otherwise my daughter will kill me. :)

If I understand right what you say, ag_ana, the "Reset All 1Password Data" solution does more harm that we can bear. Now: How can we get 1P7 working with the new master password (from the emergency kit) without destroying the 1P6 content?

• @jneese

The "Reset All 1Password Data" action in 1Password 7 doesn't affect 1Password 6's data, or the data that is at https://my.1password.com/
    Are you able to view all of the data in question when using the Emergency Kit to log in to our web app available at https://my.1password.com ?

Ben

• jneese
    jneese
    Community Member

@Ben: Thanks for coming back to this. "Are you able to view all of the data in question when using the Emergency Kit to log in to our web app available (...)" Probably not, since the 1P6 data reside on the Mac of my daughter plus her iPhone (synced in former times via Dropbox), but stem from the time before we moved to the family account. So my.1password.eu doesn't know about these vault items.

• I see. In that case please try using these instructions to migrate the data on her iPhone to 1Password.eu, and then follow the instructions above to sort out the Mac:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.