App Store or Direct?

alex2019
alex2019
Community Member

My main computer is an Apple MacBook Pro (I use Windows for business purposes) and I've seen two versions of 1Password.

I normally like to download things only from the Apple App Store to keep things my computer secure and up-to-date.

• Are there any advantages of using the direct download?
  • I presume the direct version is available more quickly?
  • Does the direct version automatically update?
  • I'm assuming the direct version is notarized?
  • Is the developer ID public key on your website?
  • Can local vaults be used with both versions?
  • Is the direct version sandboxed?
  • Are they both equally secure?
  • Which does 1Password recommend?

Those are the only questions I can think of off the top of my head.

Please tell me if there are any other differences I should be aware of.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Safari 13
OS Version: macOS Catalina 10.15
Sync Type: Personal Subscription

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

One feature that might be significant is that the App Store version is subscription only, the direct version is subscription or licence.

Mind you, AgileBits do recommend subscription for most people. Sub does include both Mac and Windows, whereas you would have to get separate licences if you went that route, so sub is cheaper.

• alex2019
    alex2019
    Community Member

Thanks danco, I already have a Personal Subscription. :)

Does anybody have the answer to my other questions?

• Hi @alex2019

I'd be happy to try and help with those:

Are there any advantages of using the direct download?

Quicker delivery of updates.

I presume the direct version is available more quickly?

Exactly.

Does the direct version automatically update?

It doesn't update without prompting you, but it does prompt you automatically. You don't have to check for updates.

I'm assuming the direct version is notarized?

It is codesigned.

Is the developer ID public key on your website?

This guide may help:

How to verify the authenticity of the 1Password app

Can local vaults be used with both versions?

The App Store version requires a subscription. While it is technically possible to use standalone vaults alongside membership vaults that is not a setup that we would encourage.

Is the direct version sandboxed?

Yes.

Are they both equally secure?

Yes.

Which does 1Password recommend?

I generally recommend folks download directly from us.

Ben

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member

I would suggest and I would also prefer as a customer for almost a decade that the product only be in one spot. I read your replies, and even though I understand your responses this is still somewhat odd. I’m not aware if other vendors do this (product can be downloaded from vendor website OR App Store), and this can turn out to be somewhat confusing, especially for new users. Also, without a doubt having different subscription models for a product depending upon where it was installed from is not an acceptable response. With the product in two different spots, it almost gives one the feeling the bleeding edge/beta version is on your website and the production version is on the App Store. I’m not saying that it’s that way for real, but without a doubt it is not the norm. I would suggest it makes existing and new users think; why? Does having the product in two separate spots not add additional steps and thus when rolling out an update it only creates additional complications for you? Without a doubt there is some differences in the code of the two versions or else there would be no single way to introduce updates. This does appear to be an internal decision which was made for some reason not yet disclosed. I would think most users would concur that it only reside in one spot, and that it being more “discoverable” on the App Store is not an acceptable reason.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback! @rossj00000! :+1:

A lot of users prefer to use apps installed from the Mac App Store in general, so I think it wouldn't be that easy to simply remove that version.

With the product in two different spots, it almost gives one the feeling the bleeding edge/beta version is on your website and the production version is on the App Store. I’m not saying that it’s that way for real, but without a doubt it is not the norm.

If a developers offers an app on the website and on the Mac App Store, then this is normal, because apps on the Mac App Store need to go through the mandatory Apple approval process, which slows things down a little. So unless they don't update the website version on purpose, updates coming directly from the developer without a middle man will always be faster.

• alex2019
    alex2019
    Community Member

Thanks for the answers Ben; I wasn't able to find that article on verifying authenticity prior to posting here. :)

@rossj00000 a lot of Mac software is like this: Mac App Store and/or direct from developer.

it almost gives one the feeling the bleeding edge/beta version is on your website and the production version is on the App Store.

Apple are slower at reviewing Mac apps than iOS apps because the review team is smaller.

Personally I like installing only from the Mac store because it's secure and convenient.

Also, without a doubt having different subscription models for a product depending upon where it was installed from is not an acceptable response.

That's because Apple force developers to impose special restrictions on apps obtained through the App Store. Spotify are suing Apple for this very reason.

This does appear to be an internal decision which was made for some reason not yet disclosed.

I'm going to guess that it's to give users choice.

The way Mac is going, it's becoming more locked down (and secure) therefore making the Mac App Store the preferred (for Apple) way of doing things.

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member

That’s all good, and I’m aware that updates to a product on the App Store need to go through that extra level of approval/verification. Maybe I don’t have enough software on my Apple ecosystem of devices, but this is the first product that was available and maintained in two different locations by the vendor. This would also make one think that the iOS version is always back level since it is only accessible from the App Store, still needing that middle man! Having 1Password on your website or the App Store sounds acceptable, but NOT in two places at the same time with a small portion of the internal code not the same. In supporting the product you would never need to ask where you got the product, website or App Store. With just about every issue I’ve opened with Agilebits I am always asked from where I got 1Password. As one who installs not only ISV(independent software vendors) products but also large mainframe IBM operating systems; the engineering, quality assurance, and production environments are kept totally separate. The OS is exactly the same regardless of the environment and for good reasons. Of course, comparing how software is managed on different platforms is like comparing apples and oranges. But, I would expect the time it takes for you to update in two places, rolling out two code bases, and the complication for support could all be reduced by approximately 25%. This is just my point of view, but I think the original decision by Agilebits to do it in this manner was not a wise decision. Originally the product was just on the website, then later was “copied” to the App Store when it should have been “moved.” It would probably also increase user confidence. That’s just my 2 cents but I would be interested to hear from other users on my viewpoint.

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member

Hi Alex. I should have added your tag to my reply to Agilebits. I’ve provided a somewhat lengthy response to them for your review and would be interested in your viewpoint. All I want is for the product to be accessible in one place, not two which only creates complications for them and their user base, particularly long standing users like myself. Take care.
    Ross

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019

We're not going to do that. 1Password is going to continue to be available from both our website and the Mac App Store. I'm sorry if that causes you some distress. There are a large number of customers who utilize and prefer either system, so discontinuing one or the other would seemingly pull the rug out from under those folks, with little perceivable benefit. We did write about why it is necessary for the App Store offering to be different from the direct offering here:

Getting 1Password 7 ready for the Mac App Store

Edit: I've added some more details as to "why" as rossj00000 clarified below that was their primary interest, rather than trying to convince us to discontinue one or the other.

Ben

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

Wow! Maybe I went on too long as I generated a considerable number of responses. I want to say that my post was mostly a “why”, and not a directive. I apologize if it was taken that way. I do have two final questions. I have an annual personal subscription, would the added hurdle of the App Store make the license more expensive? If it’s less on the website version, is it easy to switch to it?
    Ross

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@rossj00000:

would the added hurdle of the App Store make the license more expensive?

Apple subscriptions can be a bit more expensive since there might be currency conversion involved, and I believe we don't have the same flexibility in pricing that we have on our own website. So generally speaking, we always recommend subscribing through us since we are able to help you better and more quickly.

If it’s less on the website version, is it easy to switch to it?

Yes. If you are currently subscribed via an Apple subscription and would like to switch to direct billing, we can help you do it via email, so we avoid sharing your account information here. If you would like to do this, can you send us an email to support+forum@agilebits.com from your account's registered email address so we can continue the conversation there?

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and get back to you as soon as possible.

Looking forward to your message!

• rossj00000
    rossj00000
    Community Member

Thanks to everyone on this issue. As suggested @ag_ana the ticket is:
    [#QMH-53611-999]

Ross

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you! I confirm that we have received your message, and we will get back to you via email as soon as possible :)

ref: QMH-53611-999

This discussion has been closed.