Chrome extension on Mac is not autofilling. Just closes and reopens.

Options
Kevllar
Kevllar
Community Member

More often than not I need to copy and paste the login credentials. Lately it's been really buggy. If I quit the browser or reset the 1password extension it helps but then the issue comes back.

How to replicate:
1. Use 1Password for a while.
2. Then discover that it doesn't work.
3. Open website, try to autofill either with keyboard shortcut or by mousing.
4. 1password extension opens, tries to autofill, closes and opens again.
5. I noticed that when it opens 1password mini the 2nd time it shows all the incorrect logins. Doesn't seem to know which site I'm on.
6. Clicking on 1password extension the 3rd time brings up the right logins but then I resort to dragging and dropping the login fields.
7. Really frustrating on a day to day.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Mac
Browser Used: Google Chrome
Browser Version: Version 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Dropbox (Unused) & 1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension mac

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019
    Options

@Kevllar - I'm sorry for the trouble! However, I have to stop you between steps 1 & 2 -- that simply shouldn't be the case, and the fact that it is indicates something's either misconfigured within 1Password or something external to 1Password is interfering with its operation.

If Chrome has auto-updated itself in the background, it's possible you might need to restart both Chrome and 1Password for Mac -- make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then restart both. If that's not helping, or you know Chrome hasn't auto-updated recently, we'll have to take a deeper look. Let me know what you discover.

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    Options

Actually, I'm starting to think it's website related. Some logins don't work, some do. Happens on Android too. There should be a distress button that people can press for logins that don't work. :chuffed:

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    Options

Oh I see what it's doing now. The Chrome extension tries to autofill, fails, then it opens the 1Password Mini (in the Mac system tray) which shows all the wrong logins. Then logging in the 3rd time with the Extension works. Weird.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kevllar - if you're experiencing the same issue across platforms and devices, that argues much more strongly for this being either a website issue or possibly an issue with the specific Login item you originally saved. If you know of at least one such item/site on which this behavior occurs consistently and repeatably, I'd recommend manually re-saving the item. Trash the existing one, re-save it manually, and see if the newly-saved item works any better.

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Did you see my other post?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kevllar - looks like our posts may have "crossed in the mail," so to speak. Sorry for the confusion. What you're describing now to me sounds as if you may have 1Password X installed instead of the "desktop app required" companion extension for 1Password 7 for Mac (or possibly in addition to it?), but it's hard to tell from just your description. What steps, exactly ,are you taking? Are you starting from within Chrome and typing in the URL of the Login page? Double-clicking the item from the main 1Password window? Clicking the 1Password extension icon in Chrome's toolbar? The mini?

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    Options

My setup is the same as my first post.

Using the 1password companion extension in Chrome.

1. Load page in Chrome
    2. Hit shortcut key to (cmd + '\') autofill login
    3. Chrome extension opens (pointing to 1password mini extension icon in Chrome) and I select desired login + press enter
    4. Autofill tries and fails
    5. 1password opens again but only this time it points to the system tray menu icon. Shows list of all wrong logins.
    6. Must try a third time and it works.

This is what I mean when I say pointing.

I tried changing the shortcut key for 1pass but that didn't make a difference as the browser and 1pass mini seem to use the same.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2019
    Options

Hi @Kevllar

We have seen a few similar reports and our QA team is investigating the situation. Thank you!

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4218

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    Options

Any chance of a special Thanksgiving update to fix this? I'm dying here. Been dragging and dropping all my logins because it fails too often. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I wouldn't rule it out, but we haven't been able to determine why this is happening for some people. Thanks for you patience in the mean time.

• bluetidepro
    bluetidepro
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @Ben I want to add that I've been seeing this more and more for tons of sites, it seems like there is no rhyme or reason per website. Sometimes it works fine on website A but not B, then the next day it will do as @Kevllar is saying on website B instead of A. I've made sure everything is up-to-date, and closed and re-opened everything, but I've def been seeing this same behavior much more recently. I'd say in the past few months (since the major update to the extension), it's gotten worse and worse. I NEVER had the problem before the major extension redesign/overhaul.

• bluetidepro
    bluetidepro
    Community Member
    Options

Also, to add my details for usage:

Browser Used: Google Chrome
    Browser Version: Version 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

So, basically the same specs as @Kevllar, for the most part (newer version of Chrome, though)

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

@bluetidepro thanks for chiming in. I've given up on the system extension and have installed 1password X the new browser extension. Even though I prefer 1Pass Mini it's just not productive in daily use. 1PX is just way more reliable and consistent. But of course it requires that you have a 1password subscription.

• bluetidepro
    bluetidepro
    Community Member
    Options

Wait, @Kevllar what's "1password X" lol Am I behind in the times? I totally missed this news, I do see it in the store here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-–-password-ma/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa - What's the difference between that and the one we were/are using here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk? I had no idea this "1password X" even existed lol

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    Options

@bluetidepro I think it's, dare I say, the future of 1password? It's a new extension that heavily relies on their subscription platform. And yes, it is indeed different from the extension we were using. Try it out if you're paying for the subscription.

• bluetidepro
    bluetidepro
    Community Member
    Options

@Kevllar Good looking out, yeah, I do have the subscription version. I'll give that a shot. Thank you for the heads up, and quick replies!!! Community team work! 8-) haha

• Kevllar
    Kevllar
    Community Member
    Options

@bluetidepro yeah I just prefer the old version because it loads all your vaults regardless of where they are... even if you have one on Dropbox and one on 1password.com it loads them all...using just one password. 1PX you have to login to each vault separately. No problem, enjoy being productive again! Lol

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kevllar - I'm sorry for the continued issues. As Ben pointed out earlier in this thread, this is something our team is aware of and investigating. I don't have anything to share with you regarding when a fix might be available for it, but we're actively working on it.

In the meantime, @bluetidepro, yes! 1Password X is our newest extension, designed specifically to work without needing a local 1Password app or local data. Unlike the "desktop app required" extension we've all been accustomed to using for years, 1Password X communicates directly with the 1password.com servers, so it can be installed into systems where we don't have a native app, like Linux and ChromeOS. And yes, it's pretty great -- we're able to do things with 1Password X that have been unavailable to us up to now, like inline filling. But it does require a 1password.com account, and won't work with standalone 1Password because it doesn't work with a local-only 1Password database. If you have a 1Password account and you've been using it with 1Password for Mac, you may also be interested to learn about Desktop App Integration for 1Password X as well. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• Ninja01
    Ninja01
    Community Member
    Options

I want to add that because Brave Browser runs off Chromium project that I'm also seeing this issue on Brave Browser.

Browser Used: Brave Browser
    Browser Version: Version 0.69.135 Chromium: 77.0.3865.120 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Ben
    Options

Indeed; it doesn't appear this is specific to any particular browser(s).

Ben

• foxtrotgolf
    foxtrotgolf
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue using the Chrome, whether using 1Password Mini, or the extension.
    However, both which work in Safari.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @foxtrotgolf. I've seen the same behavior with Safari, though, so at this point I don't think we're limiting the scope of this bug to Chrome-based browsers. Either way, hopefully we can get it fixed up soon.

Ben

• domster83
    domster83
    Community Member
    Options

Just adding my experience. I use the standalone 1Password desktop app and I see this in Chrome (beta 78.0.3904.70 - the current official release).
    Just this morning the Chrome extension appears to not work (clicking the Chrome menu bar icon) and pressing Cmd \ opens the Menu bar mini helper. I select my password, press return and it does nothing and reopens. In my case this is happening on accounts.google.com (I have seen this happen here quite a few times).
    I do use multiple users inside Chrome and it doesn't appear to work for chrome tabs for either user when it stops working. A Chrome restart seems to fix the issue for a while.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the additional information @domster83!

• kpr
    kpr
    Community Member
    Options

Hi everyone!
    I found this thread while looking for the solution to this issue. It's been like this for quite a while now and I've seen this happen with Chrome on MacOS 10.14 and 10.15. What I'd like to add is that sometimes it starts to work on its own for a given website. What I do is I try 2-3 times before the password actually gets auto-filled. The first 1-2 CMD+\ attempts cause the 1P Mini helper to popup instead of filling in the pass. I'm also under the impression it's affecting some sites more often there others. Maybe it has something to do with the site load time (ie. this doesn't work until the page is fully loaded)?
    Will keep on following this thread to find a cure.

Cheers!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @kpr. We're working hard to find the root cause of this. It seems that for some reason, at some point, the 1Password extension in Chromium-based browsers stopped relaying the needed information to 1Password mini. This is an especially odd problem as the extension itself hasn't been changed in quite some time. One possible workaround, if you're finding this especially annoying, would be to uninstall the 1Password extension, and instead install 1Password X:

1Password X

Please note that this will only be an option for those with 1Password memberships, as 1Password X connects to 1Password.com directly rather than relying on the desktop app. Also please note that with this setup there are other caveats, such as you'd have to unlock 1Password X separately from the desktop app, and Touch ID will not be available for 1Password X.

We're certainly closer than we were a few weeks ago, but unfortunately I don't suspect we'll have a fix in the immediate future. We still have to figure out exactly what the problem is, figure out how to fix it, implement those changes, test them, and then publish a new release. It is likely going to take some time. I wish I had a more encouraging answer to offer, but for the mean time 1Password X may be a good workaround for those with memberships.

Ben

P.S. We're discussing this same issue here. To avoid duplicating efforts I'm going to close this thread.

This discussion has been closed.