IOS autofill inconsistent

gkran
gkran
Community Member

I am running the latest version of IOS and 1password (as of 5/29). I notice this behavior on ipad and iphone.

The autofill feature is inconsistent, and has been for the past xx months. The latest update does not fix this.

1. I click on a username/password field on a website in safari
  2. The 1 Password supplied password text appears above the keyboard
  3. I can chose the suggested password, or chose the key and select a different login
  4. The 1password text disappears from above the keyboard
  5. nothing else happens. I usually give up waiting after 5-10 seconds
  6. If I click on the username/password again, go back to step 2

Occasionally, it will work and 1Password will fill the fields, but I have not found a pattern.

Also when it does work, I have to re-authenticate 1password every time, even if the app is open.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @gkran,

Occasionally, it will work and 1Password will fill the fields, but I have not found a pattern.

To be clear: Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not on the same website? Or there are some websites it works with and some that it does not?

Also when it does work, I have to re-authenticate 1password every time, even if the app is open.

Do you have Touch ID / Face ID enabled in 1Password? And if so do you have "lock on exit" turned off?

Ben

• gkran
    gkran
    Community Member

Details on system:
    1p ver 7.3.1
    IOS 12.3.1
    using local wi-fi sync to sync 3 vaults

In the past, I would attempt to fill a password several times, and perhaps on the third time 1password would pop up. I assumed it was taking a long time and I was too impatient.

In trying this today, I could not found a website that will work at all on IOS. The suggested profiles show up and I could press the key to see other choices. I select a profile, the choices disappear, and nothing happens until I select the password field again (and my 1password choices appear again above the keyboard).

After giving up, I did some misc stuff: I checked the settings you suggested in 1password, I turned off pop-up blocking in safari, I noticed that credit card auto-fill was disabled so I enabled that, and I logged in on my mac so 1p could wifi sync.

Then on about the 7th attempt to log into a website in safari, the 1password prompt appeared and successfully filled in the fields. Once it works, it is working every time so far. I killed safari and 1p and it still worked on the next attempt.

I then tried on my ipad and had the same issue: it would not work on repeated attempts. After "awhile" it started working. Once it starts working, it keeps working.

Do you have Touch ID / Face ID enabled in 1Password? And if so do you have "lock on exit" turned off?

Ben

I do not have Lock on Exit enabled. Once 1p started working, it requires me to use touch ID every time it fills in a field, even if I switch to 1p and it is unlocked. Perhaps this is expected?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I do not have Lock on Exit enabled. Once 1p started working, it requires me to use touch ID every time it fills in a field, even if I switch to 1p and it is unlocked. Perhaps this is expected?

@gkran: Yes, that is expected -- not as a 1Password thing, but as part of the iOS Password Autofill feature. Coincidentally I was just watching a presentation about this from last year's PasswordsCon:

"There's a hard rule: any time you're accessing a password, or disclosing it to anyone on an iOS device, biometrics are required." - Ricky Mondello, Apple

(At about 11:30, if you're interested; it's a great talk.)

In trying this today, I could not found a website that will work at all on IOS. The suggested profiles show up and I could press the key to see other choices. I select a profile, the choices disappear, and nothing happens until I select the password field again (and my 1password choices appear again above the keyboard).

It's great that Apple has shared this awesome feature with 3rd party developers, so that 1Password and other apps can use it. But the tough part is we just don't have any control over it or special insight into it, whether it's working or not. You may need to reach out to Apple if you continue having these kinds of issues. That's not normal at all, from what I've experience.

However, under iOS Settings > Passwords & Accounts, do you have iCloud Keychain enabled under Autofill Passwords, or anything listed in Website & App Passwords? I have seen some confusion with those.

• TPNichols
    TPNichols
    Community Member

I think this thread describes what I’ve been seeing on my iOS devices for the last month or so - sometimes auto-fill works, sometimes it doesn’t - target can be an app or it can be a website on Safari/Chrome/Opera. I’ve been using 1Password for years on an iMac, a MacBook, and through many different iterations of iPhones/iPads. I have never had such bad behavior out of 1Password until recently.

My symptoms are:

1) select a website from 1Password launches the AgileBits browser, page loads, fields don’t populate, tap a field and the Passwords icon flows up with the keyboard, touch the icon, no visible activity occurs, screen goes slightly darker, browser now hung - nothing on on the screen responds to a touch. Only way out is to swipe up to bring up the list of running apps and then swipe away 1Password.
    2) load an app, navigate to login page, fields don’t populate, tap a field and the Passwords icon flows up with the keyboard, touch the icon, no visible activity occurs, screen goes slightly darker, app now hung. Closing out the app as described in 1) is the only way out.

It appears at this point that the only way I can reliably use the application is to copy the password first, let the application open the website, manually type in the userID and then paste in the password.

This discussion has been closed.