Problems importing a backup file

DerGrut
DerGrut
Community Member

Hi,
I'm having problems importing a backup file.
I found the Backup folder with over 58 backup files
the latest is called "1P 2019-03-08 211940 (7 items) Keychain Backup"
but it has no file ending/extention.
In 1Password I can not select the files to import (under preferences - backups - show files). All files are grey and not readable by 1Password.
What now?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DerGrut! Welcome to the forum!

Do you have your 1Password data on another device? Perhaps there will be a simpler way to restore your data on this Mac.

• DerGrut
    DerGrut
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    I stayed local with 1Password on this one machine. I did't use cloud services or 1Password on my iPhone.
    The Backup files come from 1Password 5 (I think). After upgrading mac os to Catalina, 1Password wasn't working anymore.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DerGrut:

What happened exactly after upgrading to Catalina? Please give us some more information, including when things stopped working and how you had them configured before the upgrade, so we can give you the best suggestion to get back up and running.

• DerGrut
    DerGrut
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina. Under Mojave everything was working fine. I was using an old version of 1Password, 4 or 5.
    After Updrading, the 1Password icon in my dock turned into a grey question mark. So I downloaded 1Password 6 which works but all my secure notes and stuff is gone.

I found the 1Password backup folder under ∼/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups.
    I just can’t import the backup. It seems 1Password 6 can’t read the backup files or doesn’t know what kind of file it is…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@DerGrut:

Thank you for the information. Inside the Backups folder, do you see any file ending in .1p4_zip?

• DerGrut
    DerGrut
    Community Member

@ag_ana
    no there is no such file. None of the files has a file ending.
    53 files like this "1P 2019-03-08 211940 (7 items) Keychain Backup" with different dates and numbers

• @DerGrut

1Password 7 is required for full compatibility with Catalina.

I don't recall off-hand what version of 1Password would've made such files, but the best option at this point may be to re-download whichever version if was that you were using, exporting your data from that, and then importing it into 1Password 7. If you can get a 1PIF, Agile Keychain, or OPVault from the old version you should be able to get that data into 1Password 7.

Going forward I would highly recommend keeping up to date with important software like 1Password. Obviously this is not an ideal situation to be in, and could've been avoided by keeping up with the latest version.

Please let me know how you make out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.