Migrate from 1Password 6 to 7

kirbsterrr
kirbsterrr
Community Member

I just upgraded from 1P6 to 7 and I'm trying to migrate my current vault to the new 7. The issue is I tried out the 1P7 beta back in 2016 and migrated the vault then. Since then it is obviously outdated and I can't seem to find any way to migrate the data from 1P6.

If I go to Help > Tools > Migrate Vault from Standalone account, this is greyed out. I used to sync via Dropbox if that is any help, and moved to an online account.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kirbsterrr! Welcome to the forum!

Before we look at the configuration in 1Password 7, can you please confirm where your existing data is stored? Is it still in Dropbox or did you migrate it to 1Password.com already when you were using 1Password 6?

• kirbsterrr
    kirbsterrr
    Community Member

My 1Password 6 data is still in Dropbox, but my old data is at 1Password.com

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

So your data is stored in two different places @kirbsterrr? Are you storing some data on Dropbox, and some data on 1Password.com, or are you storing the exact same items in both places at the same time?

I ask because the process to migrate to 1Password 7 changes depending on whether you have migrated your data to 1Password.com already or not.

In other words: if you login to your account on 1Password.com in a browser, do you see all the items you need there already?

• kirbsterrr
    kirbsterrr
    Community Member

So I did the 1Password.com migration back when 1Password 7 was in beta, looks to be April 2016. But I decided not to upgrade and continued using Dropbox. Now when I redownloaded 1Password 7, it still had all of my old data from 2016, but it's super outdated and now I just need to basically remove everything in 1Password.com and migrate my data from Dropbox.

• kirbsterrr
    kirbsterrr
    Community Member

Sorry it was April 2018, not 2016 haha

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@kirbsterrr:

In this case, I recommend doing this:

1. Add your 1Password.com account to the 1Password 6 app
    2. Select all the items in your 1Password.com vault and move it to the Trash
    3. Move all your items from your Primary vault to your 1Password.com vault

After doing this, you should see your latest data inside 1Password 7 too (if you have logged in to your 1Password.com account there too, as you mentioned). At that point, you can also uninstall 1Password 6 so you only keep one app.

• kirbsterrr
    kirbsterrr
    Community Member

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that... that was much easier than what I was trying. Thank you so much, I got it!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @kirbsterrr! I am happy that I could help :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

Welp, I bit the bullet and signed up for a single membership. I DL 7 as per the email, now 1PW6 is gone from my laptop. I am trying to follow videos, instructions, and help menus and I cannot migrate my dozens of passwords from 6. I am really getting frustrated that this is not much easier. How can I migrate my passwords from 6 the easy way?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bob_J! Welcome to the forum!

You can temporarily restore 1Password 6 (it is zipped in your Applications folder) and follow the instructions above, before moving to 1Password 7.

Alternatively, you can import your existing data directly in 1Password 7 from the File menu > Import, as you prefer.

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana, do I have to still load 1PW6 before I try the File menu import?

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

I still can't do anything, I'm just going around in circles. I have 6 open with all my logins, I also have 7 open with no logins, all I want to do is add my logins from 6 to my new sub in 7 and there is no clear instructions that work.

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

PS: I have no "secret key" for my 1PW6,

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

Well, I have some progress to report. I managed to get 7working on my iMac running High Sierra 10.3 (sort of). I opened 1PW6 before I started installing 7 and that helped. I guess I'll delete everything from my new Macbook pro and start over.

But a new problem now... nothing will open in PW 7 on my iMac. It tries to open, but nothing will open, and I get that red message on top that says I use the password on several other websites. So maybe I'm half way there.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_J:

Thank you for the update. For the filling issue, can you confirm that you have installed the 1Password browser extension in your browser already?

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

I’ll ck when I get home tonight. But shouldn’t it work without a browser extension anyway?

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

How can I ad 1Password to my iPhone X?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_J:

But shouldn’t it work without a browser extension anyway?

If you want 1Password to be able to fill your items in a browser, you must install the browser extension, otherwise you won't be able to fill.

How can I ad 1Password to my iPhone X?

You can install the 1Password for iOS App from the App Store.

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I have the app on my iPhone, the problem is… How do I get my logins to one password seven?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_J:

You need to choose where your data is stored. If you have a 1Password Membership, choose the 1Password.com option and you will be able to login with your Secret Key and Master Password.

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

I was hoping for some step by step instructions. Do you have videos? I am very surprised at how complicated this is, very surprised.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_J:

What do you see when you open the 1Password app on your device? Can you post a screenshot?

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

I'm trying to post a screenshot of my iPhone. The problem is that it asks for a "secret key". I don't have a secret key for my 1PW6. I have a license.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_J:

Please post a screenshot and we can make sure to understand where you are in the app exactly.

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

I already submitted a screenshot, it says it needs to be approved lol

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Bob_J:

Got it! Screenshot approved :)

Please tap on the Accounts arrow in the top left of the window to go back to the main page. If you don't have a 1Password subscription, you are trying to login in the wrong section.

Do you have any data in the 1Password app on this iPhone?

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

On my phone, when I try to add an account (I assume and hope it means, to add my 1PW6 account). Where it says, secret key, I don't have a secret key for 6... its a license. When I try to add the account on my laptop, it says "account is already added". So, it's telling my that my 1PW7 is already added... I know that, I'm simply trying to add my 6 account that has all my logins.

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

No, I have no logins on this phone, I am trying to get my logins from my PW 6 account. Ok, I hit accounts in the upper left corner...I sent a screen shot again.

• Bob_J
    Bob_J
    Community Member

I guess you went on a break or something. I am home almost another hour waiting for your help... and no reply. I have to go out and run some errands.

This discussion has been closed.