Where is the Password Generator when using iOS?

whosnext
whosnext
Community Member

Is the Password Generator available when using an iPhone or iPad? If so, how do I get to it?

Thanks,
John

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Where is the password generator

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @whosnext John!

Yes, the Password Generator is available on iPhone and iPad. When you create a new login item, look under the empty password box and you will see 2 options:

1. Reveal Password
    2. Generate New Password

Click on Generate New Password. You can even play around and customize it (you can customize Length, Digits and Symbols).

If you want to change your passwords with Password generator and make them stronger, we have a very helpful guide on how to do just that.

I hope this helps!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime. :)

• Demerion
    Demerion
    Community Member

This is fine if I directly want to create a new log in, but unlike Mac/windows there's no way to simply generate a password without making a new log in.

• @Demerion,

Would you be willing to share an example of what you're trying to accomplish? That may help us better guide you toward what is available now, and if not may help us better determine what we need to work on in the future.

Thanks.

Ben

• whosnext
    whosnext
    Community Member

Thanks ag_ana. I watched the link and was able to do it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@whosnext, you are very welcome! I am happy to hear that!
    If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day! :)

• patrickhamilton
    patrickhamilton
    Community Member
    edited October 2019

How do I generate passwords in app on iPhone or ipad ? I've been trying to do this to generate a strong random password - which is the point of your product, but I cannot do this on either device. I'm trying to do this AGAIN now to create a password within an app but there is NO option to generate a password, so end up using a simple password , then have to go back later and redo. Makes your program pretty pointless, don't you think ? So end up using the generate password icon on my desktop, copy that to a note, then enter in app. Pointless- might aswell save my money or look for another program that does this easily.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @patrickhamilton!

Have you tried following the instructions I posted above?

If those don't work for you, where exactly are you getting stuck?

• patrickhamilton
    patrickhamilton
    Community Member

Yes I have and the two options are NOT available. Clearly if they were I would need to have this conversation. VERY frustrated and qustioning your product , as I outlined above.

• patrickhamilton
    patrickhamilton
    Community Member

So what now ...... no response.....

• @patrickhamilton

Could you please post a screenshot of what you do see when trying to follow Ana's instructions?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Ben

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Following on from this there seems to be no easy way to copy the password on the create screen, so if you are creating the login at the same time as registering you can’t copy the randomly generated password, until after you save it. Would make sense to be able to copy this when creating.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mdeluk:

Thank you for the feedback! We make you save the password just in case something goes wrong during a signup, so you can always retrieve the latest password from there instead of trusting the clipboard, which could be easily overwritten. If you don't need the passwords afterwards, you can quickly delete it.

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Hmm no that doesn’t really make sense because you are not trusting the clipboard because 1password has it on the app, you are trusting the app doesn’t crash for a minute or two yeah.

The issue is a lot of sites have password restrictions length etc. So the first one might not be acceptable so in real life you end up saving it then going back and editing it possibly multiple times when signing up to a website. An experience which isn’t great on a mobile device anyway. Simply being able to copy the password from creation, password generator screen would make this process so much easier.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mdeluk:

Hmm no that doesn’t really make sense because you are not trusting the clipboard because 1password has it on the app, you are trusting the app doesn’t crash for a minute or two yeah.

I am sorry, I did not understand this sentence.

I appreciate you taking the time to write your thoughts about this though! It's great that you are so passionate about 1Password, and indeed we love any ideas that could make 1Password better :)

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

No worries so I’m talking about creating a new login In the 1password app whilst signing up to a website in Safari. And copying the generated password on the new login screen to Safari.

Hope that clears things up as maybe you thought I was talking about something else.

Matt

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.