How secure are notes -- not secure notes, but the ones for each login?

doray
doray
Community Member

I'm wondering if it's safe to save sensitive information in the notes section for logins (not secure notes). The notes are in plain text, not obscured like passwords are, and that's fine with me -- I'm not worried about people overseeing them, just about whether the notes are safeguarded against hackers and the like. If somebody got to my notes (again, not in secure notes), they'd be able to figure out what my passwords are.

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 1.16.2
OS Version: OS X 10.15
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How secure are notes -- not secure notes, but the notes in each login?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @doray! Welcome to the forum!

Everything stored inside 1Password is encrypted, no matter if it's a login or a secure note, they are protected in the same way :)

• doray
    doray
    Community Member

Thank you, @ag_ana!
    Just to clarify, then: What is the difference between a note and a secure note? Is it just the location of the note, and not how secure it is?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@doray:

1Password only uses Secure Notes as a category. Can you maybe post a screenshot of what you mean by "note"?

• doray
    doray
    Community Member

Sure. I know you answer a lot of questions, so again, I'm wondering about the difference between a note vs a secure note. Is it just the location of the note, and not how secure it is? (See below for what I mean by the "notes" section.)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2019

@doray,

Every category in 1Password has a "notes" area for any text you wish to place there. Secure Notes is just a category that has no fields (by default); it of course has the same "notes" area as the other categories.

• Right; basically the Secure Notes template only has a "notes" field, if it helps to think about it that way.

Ben

• doray
    doray
    Community Member

Thank you very much to everyone who's answered! I don't know how to vote "helpful", or I would do so.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @doray! I am happy that you found the discussion helpful :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.