1password7, sync to dropbox, iCloud etc. not needed anymore?

Options
nomar2408
nomar2408
Community Member

I all - i am a user since over 10 years and was used to sync data with dropbox and since a couple of year with iCloud with 1password6. No I started 1password7 and I registered a (separate?) account on the website although I had already this account here to use the forum and I could push all my data from 1password6 to this online account and in 1password7 I can add this account and I am having this data.

so my questions are:

• why is there a new online account needed although I had one wich I used for forum (only)
  • do I need dropbox / iCloud for sync or is the sync "provider" now 1password itself? I did not find any information about and I still see sync button in the preferences, so I am completely lost what changes from 6 to 7 regarding Synchronisation and which options I have. If it is now 1pssword itself, why was this not an option since years and before 7?

Thanks so far.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @nomar2408

It sounds like you've signed up for a 1Password membership. This is indeed an entirely separate account from your forum account. Forum accounts don't come with the encryption keys required to encrypt and decrypt 1Password data. The level of security required for a forum account, for asking questions about 1Password in public, is different than the level of security afforded to data stored in 1Password.

Membership is the sync service. A 3rd party service is no longer need or used. Membership has been an option since 2016 (with 1Password 6) but has become more popular in recent years. When it was originally launched it targeted teams & businesses, but that was expanded over time to include families and individuals. It is now the default path and the only option we advertise.

Does that help explain? Please let me know.

Ben

• nomar2408
    nomar2408
    Community Member
    Options

yes - thanks. So without a paid membership, this would not be an option for the older 1password6 I used so far?

Another question: I am currently in the free trial month and I would like to remove the iCloud sync vault from my mobile device without deleting it completely in the case of moving back to 1password6 and I don't want to risk losing my old iCloud sync data and I dont know what happens with my membership account (where I now have all the data) once I will cancel the subscription.

Thanks a lot so far!

• Ben
    Options

yes - thanks. So without a paid membership, this would not be an option for the older 1password6 I used so far?

Correct; only customers with a subscription membership can take advantage of 1Password.com. You can read about the other benefits of membership here:

About 1Password membership

Another question: I am currently in the free trial month and I would like to remove the iCloud sync vault from my mobile device without deleting it completely in the case of moving back to 1password6 and I don't want to risk losing my old iCloud sync data and I dont know what happens with my membership account (where I now have all the data) once I will cancel the subscription.

Deleting a vault that is sync with iCloud from 1Password does not remove it from iCloud -- it only removes it from 1Password. If you cancel your subscription your membership will become "frozen" (read-only). You'd still be able to view and export your data, but adding, editing, and filling would require renewal of the subscription.

Ben

• nomar2408
    nomar2408
    Community Member
    Options

great thanks!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.