Can't login. I lost my secret key, but I do know my master password.

Options
victor82163
victor82163
Community Member

I deleted my 1Password app from my iPhone. When I re-loaded the 1Password app, I assumed I could login utilizing Touch ID.
But 1Password app asked me to login utilizing my secret key. Although I know my master password, I don't remember my secret key.

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't login. I lost my secret key, but I know my master password.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @victor82163

Do you have a 1Password membership (subscription)? If not you would not have a Secret Key. Instead, please scroll down on the welcome screen and select the sync service that you were using to sync your data. If you do have a membership, but can't find your Secret Key, this guide may help:

Find your Secret Key or Setup Code

Please try each of the steps -- not all of them will produce a result. The Secret Key is only ever known by you, stored on your devices, or synced with iCloud Keychain. As such it can only be recovered if it is still in one of those places.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• victor82163
    victor82163
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased a standalone license for 1Password. However, 1Password set me up with a Family license subscription. I contacted support who "froze" my Family license, but kept my standalone license active. The 1Password app and website, however, seem to think I still have a Family license, and thus require me to enter a secret key for this frozen Family license (and can log in successfully to this frozen account). I do have the secret key for the Family license, however I never utilized this account, and thus it has no data in it. I only utilized my standalone 1Password account, which had all my data, and am now locked out of because it the app won't let me sign back in without a secret key, which does not apply for a standalone license.

• Ben
    Options

@victor82163

One of the primary differences between standalone and membership is that with standalone we do not store your encrypted data, and with membership we do. If you're only using 1Password standalone (no membership) then you won't have a Secret Key and won't be able to sign in because there is nothing to sign in to. You wouldn't have an account with us. With standalone your data is stored on your devices, and optionally with whichever 3rd party sync service you set up (iCloud or Dropbox). If you were not syncing your data, and only had it on your device, and then erased it from your device... it sounds like you may have erased your only copy.

Ben

• victor82163
    victor82163
    Community Member
    Options

I had 1Password on my iPod, iPhone and Macbook Pro.
    I sync via DropBox.
    I cannot repopulate my data from DropBox to a blank 1Password iOS app, because the iOS app won't let me login without a secret key.

• Ben
    Options

@victor82163

You'll be asked for a Secret Key if from the 1Password for iOS welcome screen you select the 1Password.com option. Your data isn't on 1Password.com, so you don't want that option. Instead, scroll down, and select Dropbox. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.