iCloud sync, invalid master password after iOS restore from backup

DavidAldridge
DavidAldridge
Community Member

I'm running the latest versions of iOS and macOS, and the latest non-beta versions of 1Password on my iPhone6 and MacBook Pro. Login and iCloud sync of my primary (and only) standalone vault was working without issue on both the phone and laptop.

I recently performed an iOS backup, followed by a factory reset of the phone for a battery replacement. After the repair, I restored my phone from the backup.

Upon opening 1Password on the phone, I'm being told that my master password is invalid. I have followed the iCloud troubleshooting guide, and have even gone so far as to delete the app from the phone, reinstalling, and setting up iCloud sync from scratch (after having turned off syncing on my laptop, then re-enabling/syncing from there).

Everything is (still) fine on the laptop, however on iOS it's always complaining about an invalid master password. (And yes, I know I'm entering it correctly, as I've even tried copy/paste). Has AgileBits tried the backup/reset/restore scenario?

As an extra data point, I tried WLAN syncing as well, and though the two endpoints can communicate over the network (the secret is accepted, etc.), I get a similar "invalid master password" error.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• DavidAldridge
    DavidAldridge
    Community Member

For anybody having the same issue, I was able to resolve it by re-setting up iCloud sync from the phone, followed by turning it back on in macOS. Odd that the other way around didn't work...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that helped. It can definitely be confusing, as the iCloud/iTunes backup/restore process does not, unfortunately, always restore everything properly. And 1Password does not store your Master Password anyway; it's just using it as an input to encrypt and decrypt the data. So if the data itself is not restored properly or is damaged, the Master Password will not work to decrypt it. I'm glad you had your data somewhere else to sync from this time, but in the future be sure to backup your data using 1Password's built in backup/restore feature. Better safe than sorry!

• Denny Stein
    Denny Stein
    Community Member

I’d like a better solution. I downloaded updated 1P and tried to sync. Even tried to create new vault and sync. Every time MP is requested it is rejected. Works on iPad and computers. Pretty pissed off at this point.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Denny Stein! Welcome to the forum!

Have you tried the solution recommended by DavidAldridge above already?

• Denny Stein
    Denny Stein
    Community Member

Have no idea what he’s talking about.

• @Denny Stein

Please try this:

1. Disable syncing in 1Password, if enabled, on each device.
    • Mac: Open and unlock 1Password, then choose 1Password > Preferences. Click Sync, select your Primary vault, and set “Sync Primary vault with” to None.
    • iOS: Open and unlock 1Password, then tap Settings > Sync > [Sync Service] > Disable Sync.
    1. Open and unlock 1Password on your iPad, then tap Settings > Advanced. Scroll down and tap Erase iCloud Data. It might take a moment to remove all the data from iCloud. You’ll see a confirmation when it’s done.
    2. On the iPad, set up 1Password to sync with iCloud, then set it up on all your other devices: https://support.1password.com/sync-with-icloud/

If that still isn't working I'd have to suggest trying a more reliable sync solution:

Sync your 1Password data

Ben

• Denny Stein
    Denny Stein
    Community Member

That worked. But it took two of us to do it. Not very elegant. But thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome!

This discussion has been closed.