Backup feature is missing (1Password memberships take cares of this automatically)

liuyanghejerry
liuyanghejerry
Community Member
edited October 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm following article: https://support.1password.com/backups/ to backup my 1p data. But I can't find "%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\Backups" in my system. I can see "%LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\" but there are only three directories: app, data and logs.

I don't see "Create backup" menu in iOS latest version either.(Source: https://support.1password.com/backups/#ios-create-a-backup)
I don't want to post same question in two different posts, really.

Hopefully the response is not "we don't offer this feature anymore". Because export all data in plain text or csv is not really a good idea. Backup is crucial to me, especially I already experienced that LastPass quit China.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• That's awful to hear about LastPass, @liuyanghejerry. I've seen a number of stories in the news about folks in China and other countries having their access to crucial online services cut off thanks to current political environments and it makes me sad that those in power aren't considering the very real impacts this has on ordinary people living in these countries.

It sounds to me like you may have recently switched to a 1Password membership. 1Password memberships don't offer an option to manually create a backup, but the reason for that is that most scenarios where you'd want to restore that backup are already accounted for by design. The risk that we may cease operations in China is one I'd say we have covered. Your encrypted data lives in a number of places by default – you have a local database on each and every one of your devices where you use 1Password, in addition to a backup on our servers. Even if our servers were no longer accessible in China, you'd still have access to the local data on each of your devices and be able to move it around as needed. In fact, most of the time you're using 1Password, this data is likely what your apps are using – they only reach out to the server to authenticate as needed and to sync. Our servers could go dark right now and you'd still have access to your data across all of your devices. It would no longer sync (that requires server access), but you would absolutely be able to read, copy/paste, and export your data at that time, rather than having to maintain an up-to-date export at all times – something I agree would be ill-advised unless you took steps to encrypt and protect it yourself.

If you'd like to create an independent backup as well, you can back up the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\data folder, but I would caution that this data file is only explicitly meant to be read by the app that created it. If you decide to do this, I'd recommend a system that allows you to see what version of 1Password for Windows created the data within a given backup. Often, newer versions of 1Password can still open data created by older version, but we do make changes to data structure from time to time, so the safest bet is to open that database with the same version that created it.

I hope this helps you feel comfortable continuing to use 1Password knowing your data is always locally accessible, regardless of whether you can access our servers at the time, but if you have additional questions I'm here to help. :chuffed:

• MaoDou
    MaoDou
    Community Member

@bundtkate you say:"The risk that we may cease operations in China is one I'd say we have covered."This makes me feel scared,not supporting password export means I can't get my own password after you stop the service,let me hesitate to subscribe or not.

The above is from Google Translate,a Chinese user ready to buy

• @MaoDou

My apologies. There may be some difficulties due to the difference in language. Export is possible:

How to export data from 1Password

We talk about exports and backups differently, as they should generally be considered different things for different purposes.

Ben

• MaoDou
    MaoDou
    Community Member

Oh, @Ben thank you, this is what I want.So I can buy with confidence :)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@MaoDou: On behalf of Ben and Kate you are very welcome! :)

As Kate mentioned, your data will always be cached locally on your devices, so even if something happens to our servers or to your connection to our servers, you will always have access to your data in 1Password.

Moreover, you can view and edit your data in 1Password without an Internet connection. Any changes you make will become available on your other devices when you next go online.

Let us know if you have other questions, we are always ready to answer them. Thank you! :+1:

++
    Greg

• liuyanghejerry
    liuyanghejerry
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thank you for your response. I totally understand that 1p is able to work offline and syncs data safely with backups on cloud. I was wondering about why backup feature is not working anymore.

Working offline and backups on cloud - those two features stand together with manual backup long time. Now the situation is the same but manual backup is not shipping anymore. What happened then? How is this choice made?

• MikeT
    edited October 2019

Hi @liuyanghejerry,

1Password memberships never had manual backups in the past in any versions of 1Password. It is something we may add in the future as part for archival purposes.

What we had in the past and still do is standalone vaults and backups, and this does exist in 1Password 7 for Windows; you can see it in the Settings > backups like this as long as you have standalone vaults with folder sync enabled.

The reason we have backups for standalone vaults is because they're stored only on your drives and you are responsible for syncing/backing up the vaults. Whereas for 1Password memberships, we take care of all that for you automatically in the background, so that you never have to worry about doing this. You sign in to your 1Password account and it's all ready to go.

• liuyanghejerry
    liuyanghejerry
    Community Member

@MikeT Thank you. It's my misunderstanding about this feature.

• No problem and you're welcome. Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

This discussion has been closed.