"1Password 7.3.712" command-line silent install does not exist after install

Hi Team, I'm trying to silently install the latest installer (v7.3.712) with command-line:
1PasswordSetup-7.3.712.exe --silent

But the new installer does not exit after the install is completed. Due to this, our script keeps on waiting for a return code. Let us know how can this issue be fixed.

1Password Version: 7.3.712
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• 1Password 7 actually installs silently by default, @kard, so path\1PasswordSetup-7.3.712.exe --setup should have you covered, where path is the full filepath of your installer. This will run silently, terminate when it's done, then show the 1Password setup screen. In that sense it's not completely silent, but we don't currently support hiding that setup window, so this will be your best bet for the moment. Give it a go and let me know if helps. :+1:

• kard
    kard
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate, thanks for the quick response!

I just tried the method but that did not work as the installer does not support --setup arg:

C:\local\1r1>1PasswordSetup-7.3.712.exe --setup

C:\local\1r1>error: Found argument '--setup' which wasn't expected, or isn't valid in this context

USAGE:
        1PasswordSetup-7.3.712.exe [FLAGS] [OPTIONS]

For more information try --help

Can you please check this and confirm? I can deal with the window appearing at the end of the install, but we definitely need to suppress any interactive window during the install process. Let me know if that's doable.

• My apologies, @kard. This is what happens when I venture into the command line. I'm certainly learning and starting to feel more at home there, but I'm at a point where I know just enough to sound like I'm right even when I'm totally off-base. So setup is run automatically after the installer copies files and you don't need to add that argument unless you need to rerun setup from the app exe.

Would you be able to share what your script needs to be doing after install, by chance? I'll have to check with our development team to see what might be best, but the better idea I have of your end goal the more likely I am to get some good guidance. If you'd rather share via e-mail, that's fine, too. Reach out to support+windows@1password.com and I can find you there. Thanks! :chuffed:

• kard
    kard
    Community Member

Hi @bundtkate, I have sent a mail to your team. I am looking for a resolution to this issue soon.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kard,

Thank you for the email! We received it and get back to you via email soon. :) :+1:

++
    Greg

ref: PEN-86434-624

• jankeskanke
    jankeskanke
    Community Member

If you want to be a serious alternative in the enterprise, you should support install options like -SILENT and -ALLUSERS
    I do understand you need data in the users APPDATA folder, but if we want to deploy this to just 100 machines today, this is not doable.

• We don't officially support any method of mass deployment, but are working on a more holistic solution, @jankeskanke. It's not close enough to prime time it's worth talking about in any depth right now, but it's on the roadmap and actively being worked on. The issue with --silent was actually a bug triggered specifically when no data had been added to 1Password and has been fixed in the latest. In the meantime, you can ease deployment with xcopy:

1. Install 1Password on a testing machine, but do not sign in.

2. Xcopy the %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\ directory via your chosen deployment method to everyone's %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\ directory.

3. Run the setup command line parameter on the 1Password.exe file: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\app\7\1Password.exe setup

This should now run silently, terminate once it is done, and set up the registry keys to enable Native Messaging support for the 1Password extension.

Alternatively, if you have an existing method to mass-deploy browser extensions and your team uses Chrome, Firefox, or the new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge, you can also take a look at 1Password X. 1Password X is a full-featured browser extension that doesn't require a desktop app at all. If it's easier for you to deploy and matches your browser choices, it may be something you want to consider. You can learn all about it here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

And, of course, if you have additional questions or run into any trouble, I'm happy to help. I definitely look forward to enterprise installations being smoother, but until then I've dealt with a fair few of them and am happy to assist however I can. :chuffed:

• olli_QPR
    olli_QPR
    Community Member

Hi,

What is the status of the mass deployment solution discussed in the previous message? We are also looking for solution for deploying 1Password to our organization via a management tool, for which we need to have installation option

• which can be invoked from system context,
    • does not mess up existing installation and
    • can update existing installation.

Due to the poor user experience for corporate deployment we are facing very strong pressure to switch to a product which can be deployed easier for our users. For our users it's totally irrelevant if 1Password installer is smart or beautiful, as for them it's pure excise task having to download the software and install it as the process is completely different from everything else we provide for our users and results in totally unnecessary support load for us. They are happy to use the product, but due to the poor execution of the installation process the installation experience is rated lowest of any company provided applications.

If you are serious about getting business' to use 1Password this must be addressed.

• Hi @olli_QPR,

Please send us a message at support+windows@1password.com and we can discuss some of the deployment options we have available for you.

Let me know your Support ID number once you receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant. This way we will be able to track down your email on our side. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Blake

This discussion has been closed.