Feature Request: Single Sign-On

IreSaffa
IreSaffa
Community Member

Hi,

I have searched through previous discussions and there seems to be requests for Single Sign-On in various shapes and forms; although there is one that is fairly accurate in terms of hitting the mark: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/9923/feature-request-single-sign-on-enhancement

This was posted back in 2012, but it doesn't appear to have been developed.

Is there potential for having a category for SSO that can be leveraged across a variety of services? Or would it simply be a manual task of creating one generic SSO login and adding every known URL to it?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2019

I'm not sure exactly what you have in mind. As you mentioned, 1Password already allows you to save multiple URLs in a Login item (since 2012, actually, with 1Password 4), so if you need to be able to use the same credentials at different websites, there's an app for that, as they say. :) I'm not sure how or why having this as a separate category would be beneficial when Logins are for, yknow, login credentials, but I am interested to hear if you had some specific benefit in mind.

• ben509
    ben509
    Community Member

I'll offer my use case. I had a Nest account with a regular username / pw combination. It's been migrated to a Google account, so the user/pass is now invalid.

My experience is roughly:

• I ask, "how do I log in to Nest? I will check my logins."
    • I don't recall whether I'm using SSO or user/pass to log in if it's been a while
    • I should find the Nest entry.
    • it should be obvious at a glance that this account is using SSO.

Now I need to log into the correct Google account.

• so I must find the correct Google entry in 1pass
    • and go through the steps there

so if you need to be able to use the same credentials at different websites, there's an app for that, as they say.

But I never want to do that. If I update my Google credentials, I'd then have to change them for all websites with Google SSO. That's nuts.

And if I need to close that Google account, being able to find all related logins I'm using it for would be helpful. Google lets you do this, but they often don't point you toward the account management pages.

I know there are ways to kludge around this, but SSO is very common and easy things should be easy.

New users need a big friendly button that Does The Right Thing, and experienced users want it to just save time.

Personally, I'd want:

• a separate SSO section (or designate some logins as SSO)
    • an SSO field where I can select from existing SSO items
    • and in regular view, it will take me to that SSO item to continue logging in if needed
    • and be able to search for items linked to it
  • But I never want to do that. If I update my Google credentials, I'd then have to change them for all websites with Google SSO. That's nuts.

That isn't what brenty was proposing. He is proposing having a single item for your Google credentials that has multiple website fields on it... e.g. one for google.com, and one for nest.com if needed.

Ben

• ejg930
    ejg930
    Community Member

Wanted to raise this as well since I'm trying to migrate apps over to Apple's SSO whenever possible for the privacy benefits. The proposed solution is a band-aid. As I understand it the workflow would be:

• Go to a login page (let's use Adobe as an example)
    • Open 1Password and see that instead of an Adobe login, an Apple login has appeared because I remembered to put adobe.com in as a website for my Apple login
    • Which signals to me that I should sign in with Apple

But if I click on Autofill, 1Password won't handle that correctly. It'll attempt to insert my Apple credentials into the Adobe email/password field instead of recognizing/activating the "sign in with Apple" flow.

What I want is for 1Password to more natively track websites that I've enabled SSO on and log me in through the SSO provider when I'm on the login page for the service I'm trying to use, so that I don't have to remember whether I've registered through SSO or which specific SSO I used for this site.

I'd also like 1Password to recognize the SSO -> service registration flow and, when creating an account at adobe.com with my Apple login, automatically note that I've done so, so that it can log me in without manual intervention on my part.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about this! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.